The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New SECTION/Category for old time pickers ONLY
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 9:22 am    

Perhaps if there was a category for OLD TIME steelers here on the Forum, we wouldn't have to put up with the petty back-biting, back stabbing, insults and whatever that seems to be growing.
Likewise those self-made pickers would no longer have to cope with PROFESSIONAL MUSICIANS who KNOW what their talking about and NEVER point a finger at anyone about anything no matter how controversial it might be.
I was elated when I was referred to the Forum and still consider it my No.#1 stop with each new day. I can't wait to get to the Forum to rub elboes with the really top pro's both OLD and younger.....
The Forum has been an educational institution for me and it truly saddens me when so many pointed remarks are being directed at other Forum Members.
I'm not trying to be hyper critical but anyone with an open mind....can SEE what is happening here and I feel it's a tragedy.
Particularly for the new comers who are likely to find themselves one day relying entirely on the self-made know-it-alls that seem to have become so dominant in months of late.
Come on Forumites! Let's clean up your acts. It's only a very small minority group that seems to be doing this and it's sad.
b0b and your loyal staff of moderators are to be commended for allowing everyone to speak here on the Forum but some control over those who tend to repeatedly bash others should be curbed.

Chet

Adrian,MI USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 10:40 am    

This is getting to be a bit too much.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 11:02 am    

Ray maybe we need a section for self proclaimed professionals. I don't get this attuide of some people. Just because they play music full time are we to drop to our knees and worship these guys? If we do not play full time are we not to have an opion about anything? Well thats like saying if I'm not a full time politican I can't have an opion about politics. Or, if I'm not a full time doctor I can't have an opion about medicine. Or, if I'm not a full time prostitute I can talk about or have an opinon about sex. Well that's just stupid. There are a lot of part time and week end players on the fourm that have a lot of insight into the art of playing the steel guitar. Most of these guys are always willing to help you with a problem. I think these are the guys that make the steel guitar world what it is. If they weren't here to buy the guitars, go to the shows, buy the instruction courses, there wouldn't be any of that. I don't know the numbers but if I had to guess I would say that probably 96 tho 98 precent of the members of the fourm are part time players or just people that love to play for fun. There are some Pro player that are also more than willing to help with questions and problems. Some of the biggest names in steel guitar have been ask question here. They are always very thoughtful and considerat with their answers. If you have to get on the fourm and proclaim you are a professional and that everyone should respect you as such, you are probably not one. What kind of an ego must a man have to get on the fourm and proclaim he is leaving because he is not getting the respect he thinks he deserves as a professional. I say, "DON'T LET THE FOURM DOOR HIT YOU IN THE BACK SIDE ON YOUR WAY OUT! Thanks to Bob and his staff and the fourm members there is lots of good topics here, and a lot of people willing to teach and a lot of people wanting to learn. So I don't have time to baby the few self proclaimed pros that want to cry because they don't get the respect they want. Just the opions of a part time know it all self taught nematodes.

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 11:14 am    

"Why can't we all just get along?" R.King
:0

Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 11:49 am    

Gentlemen, there are only a few of us as it is, why can`t we respect each others opinions.

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 12:24 pm    

..Amen..

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 12:40 pm    

Very interesting Bob. You have a very keen awareness of the situation at hand. You have given me food for thought. And my mind is always hungry. I hope everyone else out there has the good since that you do to see a situation so clearly. I think we all need to focus our energies on things like the war on terrorism and ending world hunger and playing in tune than fussing and fighting with each other. I hope you don't think that I look down upon someone because they don't make their living as I do. To the contrary, I admire anyone who plays the instument at any level full-time part-time or past-time. If you were refering to what I said to Cal Sharp in a previous topic I just meant that some people think you are not a proffessional unless you are working the road, the opry, or major label sessions. Thats all. There are not enough slots at the top to go around and besides some of us including myself have been there and done that. Yes I make my living playing steel guitar in Nashville and I'm proud of that fact but that doesn't mean I'm any better or worse than anyone else. As far as answering questions I have only to be told I'm wrong by someone who is relatively new to the instrument and yes I got my ire up but not because I think I know it all because I'm a proffessional but because I knew the answer I gave was correct and if I want to know the answer to a music question conserning a player here in Nashville I will pick up the phoneand call them up or drop by their house and ask them in person. Also I don't think you directed it at me but as I told Cal I'm not going anywhere. If you want to e-mail me please feel free I would like to hear from you. Have a great day and God bless you. Mike Sweeney

[This message was edited by Mike Sweeney on 03 October 2001 at 01:44 PM.]

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 1:05 pm    

Mike Sweeney it is always good to read your post You always give us a good look into the Nashville scene. There is always a guy like you talked about in your post. The best way to respond to those guys is not to respond. Life is to short and there is to much steel guitar to talk about.
God bless and have a great day.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 1:14 pm    

Most people are diamonds, but----you run into a lump of coal every once in a while!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 2:28 pm    

"Gentlemen, there are only a few of us as it is, why can`t we respect each others opinions."

As you know, everyone's entitled to my opinion.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 2:41 pm    

Quote:
...but some control over those who tend to repeatedly bash others should be curbed.

I agree with this statement.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2001 6:53 pm    

Thanx Forumites, for all the thoughtful and construcrtive input. Whether a first day beginner or full time working musician, I believe there is room for everyone here on the Forum and that's as it should be.
It's the somewhat insulting comments that are made by one or two of the contributors that annoy me and others across this land with whom I am in regular communication.
If we disagree with a post, then either make a worthwhile contribution or step aside and let it slide. No need to bash the person.
Thanx again to each of you for your comments and to b0b and staff for allowing this place to interact about the instrument we love so much.