The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2001 5:57 am    

For those who don't know, this is an inflammaion of the tendons that control the thumb as well as the sheath that they move through past the wrist joint. I've had this for 5 months, and it hasn't gotten better. Could anyone who has had this please post what you did to get rid of it. Also, if you tried things that didn't work, let me know as well. Thanks in advance.

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2001 7:01 am    

Jeff,
I personally have treated probably twenty cases of this over the last 15-20 years. I have found that steroid injection directly into the tendon sheath following injection with marcaine (local anesthetic)provides the best clinical result. Rarely, a patient will require a second injection and rarer still will require surgical intervention. This is my own personal experience which is supported by several standard ortho references. I would urge you to speak with your primary care provider regarding this. If they are unable or unwilling to provide this, I would seek a qualified Orthopedic physician who specializes in hands. Feel free to email me with any specific questions you might have.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter/Emmons/Zum
Evans
Martin D35
Forum Host: The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum
http://pub55.ezboard.com/btheunofficialmartinguitarforum

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2001 8:21 am    

Jeff, take Steve's advice. I had a similar problem with my knee (a firefighting injury)and steroid injections was the ultimate solution. www.genejones.com

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2001 12:07 pm    

I have a similar malady on the underside of my thumbs known of as "Trigger Thumb" (bilaterally)whereby the flexor tendon of the thumb gets inflammed and locks down (in my case mostly at night). I've received two steroid injections in each- the first lasted 4 months and the 2nd lasted about 7 months. I've not gone back in for a third yet and am considering surgery. They no longer lock down but are now real stiff in the morning and I have a pea sized cyst in their locations where the tendon sheath is upset with what's goin' on. This aging is not for the weak~~

Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2001 9:07 am    

I have intermittent "trigger finger" on both my middle fingers.

When I first discovered this new development I was about 47. After about 37 years at the time of playing guitar, I was freaked out completely. "Aw man, I spent my whole life learning how to play and now this!!!".

I am now 50 and still experience it from time to time, like daily but with varying degrees of "lockup". So I try to practice to keep limber.

I am glad to know the steroid shots make a difference. I will look into them too.

Thanks for the advice.

------------------
Bill Fulbright
1998 Sierra U12 7x5; Gibson ES-165; Peavey 50-410
ICQ# 2251620 Bill's Launch Pad