The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hal Rugg
Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 3:33 pm    

Just a few remarks about Hal; I thought he was the epitome of class at the convention. People always talk about how Jackie Kennedy conducted herself with such dignity in her time of grief. Hal showed that same level of dignity at the convention. He was able to make a few endearing comments about his soulmate who he had just lost three weeks before, and yet was able to maintain control of his emotions and turn in a superb performance. I personally was very touched by his performance and am very proud that he is one of the great leaders of our wonderful fraternity/sorority. Dan

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 3:54 pm    

Hal has to be a trooper. With the recent tragedy in his family, he still turned in his usual outstanding performance as if nothing had happened.

"The show must go on".

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 7:49 pm    

Dan
Your comments about Hal are totally right on the money and I agree with everything you say 200+%. I knew Vicki well and all I can add is that she had as much class as her husband has, and that her presence was there in the auditorium and felt by all who knew her.

I am in Columbia as I write this while my father-in-law is in Boone County Hospital. He is well on the road to recovery but Saturday and Sunday were really tense for me. I can't even imagine what our friend Hal has been through the past year, and for him to be as warm, friendly, and professional in his demeanor is again testimony to the quality of the man.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Marian Jerrell

Lancaster,PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2001 6:57 pm    

My husband and I attended the convention for the first time and there were many highlights but for me one main highlight was getting to meet and talk to Hal Rugg. He is a wonderful player and I have watched him play on television on the Wilburn Brothers show and also Loretta Lynn way back in the 1960's . It was indeed a real honor to meet him. It was so good for him to attend the convention.

Marian Jerrell

Lancaster,PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2001 7:04 pm    

My first time at the convention and it was indeed a great pleasure and honor to meet and talk to Hal Rugg. In the 1960's, he played for Loretta Lynn and the Wilburn Brothers show on Television. He is a wonderful player and I was so glad to see him come to the convention. It was the only place for him to be that weekend. Marian DerbyS-10 3&4

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2001 6:05 pm    

Strasburg ?? Is that near Newmanstown or Womelsdorf ? I grew up in Robesonia but then thats another county over. Derby eh !!
Very interesting !!

Regards Paul

Billy Peddycoart

champain,IL US.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 2:42 pm    

Hal..What a wonderful person and a fantastic player, one of my favorits. Billy

------------------

Ronald Riddle

Bloomington il Mclean
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 3:51 pm    

Hal Rugg, a giant in the field of,Talent ,a fine human being and a favorite pedal steel player of mine.
Ron Riddle

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 5:36 pm    

"Hal Rugg"
The man has been a favorite player of mine for a long time,finaly got to meet him at Saluda the last time he was there,looking forward to the next time.
Truly a finer person you could not find.

Bill