The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Julian Tharpe
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 10:07 am    

Who was Julian Tharpe?Can you tell me about him?

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 12:38 pm    

What B. Cole said and then some!!

Bill Ford

------------------

RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 12:50 pm    

Super picker. Tom Bradshaw's catalog has a blurp on him I think. I believe Tom has some of his music as does Scotty. I purchased everything featuring Julian from both Tom and Scotty that I could. His personal tone preference differed somewhat from mine, however, he was an incredible picker. I will never forget the first time I saw him at the St. Louis convention. He was playing the 14-string Sierra. He sat down, crossed his hands, put the bar on the 12th fret and played one of the prettiest renditions of "Amazing Grace" I have ever heard. Every one was kidding him about his cap, he was wearing a flat touring cap.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 2:46 pm    

Andy do a serch under Julian. there has been lots of topics about him.

RMckee I once saw him do Danny Boy the same way one night. I think he used open strings. What a picker.

[This message was edited by bob drawbaugh on 24 August 2001 at 01:32 PM.]

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 2:59 pm    

I had the honor of working with Julian.During my employment with Jim Ed Brown(1970-76)we were between steel players in 1974 and Jim Ed hired Julian to work a few dates with us in Texas. One of the dates was a package show and I remember we backed up Charlie Walker. Julian was a fantastic musician.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 3:07 pm    

Julian was the only guy I knew who actually played a 14 string guitar and sounded great doing it. He used to stop by every once in a while and always wore this jacket with all these different patches on it. I think they were steel patches or something to that effect. Another steeler I know bought one of Julians 14 stringers and still has it.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 3:20 pm    

Hi Andy,

Julian was my friend and mentor. I and a bunch of Great Steel Player Friends of Julian's posted a whole bunch on him on the Steel Guitar Forum in the past. If you can dig it up in the search area it would be worth your time to read it.

Julian along with our good friend Maurice "Reece" Anderson both belong in the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. Read the info on him and you'll learn why.

GOD bless you.

Terry J. Wood
Heavenly Math
3 Nails + 1 Cross = 4 Given

slick

Calhoun Georgia
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 4:37 pm    

Hello Andy,
Julian was also my friend and mentor.Sometime
in the 70'S we both played in Birmingham Alabama.I played a 9-2 gig and he played a late gig 2-6.I rushed across town every night
to hear this great artist play.He would put his bar aside and play Danny Boy perfectly.
Imagine this,your playing your gig and someone pulls up a chair and sits facing you
watching you play,you look up and its Julian
Tharpe.At that moment i forgot everything i
knew about pedal steel guitar,which wasn't a
lot.He was an awsome player and a great person.I am in total agreement with Terry,Julian and Reece should be in the SGHOF.

Wayne

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 4:52 pm    

Julian, like Curley Chalker cut his own path. He played like no other player ever. His mind was capable of hearing and performing virtuoistic talents on our beloved instrument, that left one in awe.

In a word, he was an incredible musician. He truly belongs in the ranks of the greats. It is sad that this genius is no longer with us. I miss him terribly,

God rest his soul,

carl

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 5:30 pm    

Both Julian's approach to music, and his style, were truly unique. I always thought he was the closest thing we ever had to a "classical" steel guitarist...his technique was intricate and involved, with a lot more complex chord work than is customary today.

Now, I've heard players that sound like Buddy, or Paul, or Weldon...even a few who remind me of Curley. But, nobody ever reminded me of Julian! He didn't play "stock" licks...that's for sure. Though his recorded work isn't everyone's cup of tea, most of it sounds incredibly complex and interesting. One thing for sure he was both different, and very talented. (I think every beginning steeler should have one of his albums, just to experience the alternate possibilities of the instrument.)

With the way the image of the steel is changing, I would imagine that (in another 20 or 30 years) the world will catch up to (and appreciate) what Julian was doing. He was truly ahead of his time.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 22 August 2001 at 06:32 PM.]

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 9:52 pm    

Hey Slick. I was visiting a buddy (Mike Shell) in B'ham in the 70s. After his gig he took me to an after hours club but did not tell me what I was about to see. I go in the door of this club and can't really see the bandstand yet and hear all this disco/rock/country stuff going down. I am looking for the guitar players on stage and all I see is Julian Tharpe. He was covering EVERYTHING 2 or 3 guitar players would have played himself!!!! One of the most incredible things I have every seen by any musician playing ANY instrument.

What a loss, what a shame.

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2001 4:30 am    

Met Julian once, back in the late 60s or early 70s (long before I took up steel) when he did a show locally with Ray Price. Several of us went out for dinner with him after the show. A delightful guy & great musician.

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2001 9:06 am    

Julian was an Original, Just as Curly Chalker was. They were both my friends and I never fail to think of them when I'm at one of the shows. I was near the place where Julian was murdered this past weekend and he sure was on my mind a lot. Some Low Life killed what may have been the most original Steel Guitarist who ever lived, for pennies. What a great loss!

He Belongs in the SGHOF as much as anyone who has ever been inducted.

------------------
John

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 23 August 2001 at 10:06 AM.]

TomP

Encino Ca
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2001 11:58 am    

Julian certainly belongs in the steel Hall of Fame, at least. The most innovative steel player I've ever seen. A clue about his not being in the HOF was mentioned earlier. He was the type of person who said EXACTLY what he thought regardless of who or what it was about, so most likely it was his personality, or someone else's, that's been keeping him out of the HOF. It certainly hasn't been a lack of talent. And that's a terrible shame. I'm sure he would laugh loud and long at any hubub about this. He had a much greater concern about what the song sounds like than what awards he could get playing it. All the more reason....
His recording, "Take Your Pick" with Blondie Calderon, Price's late bandleader, on vibes is a major step out of any cornfield.

------------------
-Tom www.tompowell.org

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 1:13 pm    

I remember opening up for B.Mandrell and she had Julian and Ray Riggs doing "Hold It" at light speed. Poor old Irlene couldn't keep up, but she gave it all she had. Julian gave a new meaning to "grab a few strings"

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 3:14 pm    

Andy V.
I can tell you about Julian! I knew him well. I ran around with him and Jimmy Bryant thru the 70's and early 80's.Ga., Fla., and Tn. I had a ball with them. I don't think Julian ever thought any farther ahead than "tonite".He wasn't a planner. I can not add anything to compliment his "pedigree". I can't even think of words to describe his talent.I've seen all of these things mentioned.I've had the privilege of doing things with him.He lived for music.That was all he knew.Allhe wanted to know!And he excelled at it.I wish I knew as much about my profession as he did his! I spent a many a nights in demons den as well as other places. We had a lot of fun even where music was not involved. Last time I saw him...StLouis I think 1982...close...he had new teeth and a brown suit. I hardly recognized him. So much for this, fred

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 3:20 pm    

Andy V. make that Andy A. fred

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2001 7:38 am    

I have too many memories and his albums and even a session that I produced with him on it. A note about this session and then I'll shut down.(or up). The session Julian,Jimmy B.,Shorty Lavender,Bob White,Lisa S.. I could tell the singer was not happy so I went over and asked him what the problem was. He said he told me he wanted a lot of steel and he couldn't hear any! Well Julian had been playing like Julian and he was all over the tune. I told the engineer to play back some and the steel was non-stop.The singer grinned and we went on with the session.

..sorry if I offended anyone! Fred Jack

[This message was edited by b0b on 27 August 2001 at 06:46 PM.]

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2001 12:53 pm    

Back around the early '70s I was backing up Webb Pierce on a show in San Diego (opening for Ray Price). I believe Herb Steiner was on steel for Webb Pierce, I'm not sure. At any rate Julian was playing with Ray Price. Quite a player and quite a gentleman. Later when he went to work for Barbara Mandrell, he asked me to come & play guitar for her. I should've done it, for hanging around Julian would've made me a much better guitar player than I am today. Best, Boomer

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2001 1:31 pm    

Boomer...He'd a made you stretch...maybe??
Julian and Jimmy B.used to tell me " come on fred..you can do it.." I'd say I
"I ain't sure"..theyed say " well..maybe not". I'd then work my a... off.
THANKS Retcop....fred jack

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2001 6:33 pm    

I'll confess that I've never heard Julian Tharpe. What kind of music did he play?

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 5:18 am    

b0b
It would be well worth any price to hear Julian. I suggest you find some way to get at least one of his recordings. You will wear it out before you stop listening to it and you will discover something different everytime you listen to it. The man was a pure Genius, maybe his personal life wasn't that organized, but his music and playing was.

------------------
John

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 5:33 am    

bOb: Years ago I was jamming a bit with Julian at MSA in Dallas. He was playing and did something wierd. When he saw I was looking at him kinda funny, he asked: What ?

I replied; that sounded wrong.

He replied: There is never anything that is wrong and played it again.

I didn't understand then but like so many things, I DO NOW !!

My favorite of his was his version of Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith's, Guitar Boogie.
They played that a lot on the old AM radio bands. Julian does a monster job on it. I won't judge him on any basis except his music. I keep remembering: Judge Not, Lest You Be Judged As Well. I don't know if I could stand up to that scrutiny.

Regards, Paul

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 5:40 am    

What kind of music did he play? Was it mostly jazz, country, rock, or what? The title of his LP "The Jet Age" suggests something like the Ventures "Telstar" to me.

Where can I get a CD of his music?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 5:48 am    

I'd say his playing is a combo of country and jazz, albeit not your Emmons/Day style. Tom Bradshaw lists the album or cassette of "Take Your Pick" at http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/prodlist.html and album only of "Southern Fried Steel" at http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/forsale.html

If you listen to Live365 for an hour or so you're bound to hear his playing.

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@home.com
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden Ext. E9/U-13 8&8=-

[This message was edited by Jim Smith on 26 August 2001 at 06:49 AM.]