The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Billy Mize CD w/Herbie Remington
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2001 9:07 am    

I just got my double CD of the Billy Mize salute to Tommy Duncan. What a great western swing CD. This one has Herbie Remington along with other members of the Texas Playboys. Herbie plays some great rides on these classic tunes. If any of you don't know, Billy Mize suffered a stroke a while back and can't pick anymore from what I hear. I had the pleasure of pickin' with him in Southern California for a couple of years at the Foothill Club. The reason I'm posting this here is that although known mostly for his vocal/songwriting skills was also a great steel guitarist and was at one time an in demand player for shows and sessions before his vocals became the main focus. He was the staff steel man with the old Town Hall Party Show in Los Angeles which featured band leader Joe Maphis along with Merle Travis and others. This great CD features Merle Haggard in the role of Bob Wills to Billy's Tommy Duncan. Merle does all the ah-ha's and harmony singing and such. It's a good buy too! It's the only CD other than Merle'l which you can get on his web site. Go to: www.merlehaggard.com and order you one. The whole two CD set costs $17.94 including shipping. You can't beat that and Billy could probably use the cash. Thanks!

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12