The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The "Jerry Garcia is the world's greatest steel guitarist" s
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2001 5:43 pm    

What Bobby Lee said about the melody being just as important as the technique.

I've been listening to lots of jazz guitar lately and guess what? I'm a little sick of technique! Of course I like jazz standards and hope to learn all I can but I think the reason some of these hot beboppers aren't more popular is that people just don't get it. I don't get it. Throwing all your fast stuff into every song is like gilding the lily. You just kill the feeling. That's not true for all jazz guitarists, make no mistake. Nor all steel players.

Why do you suppose Chet Atkins (God rest him) was so well liked? Lots of reasons but the man understood melody and understatement. Result: probably the most popular guitarist ever, period. There are other great examples, Mark Knopfler comes to mind. Among steel players, Jaydee Maness, Sneaky Pete Kleinow, Tom Brumley.

Jerry Garcia knew exactly where he stood in the heirarchy of steel players. He mentioned in an interview that he was embarassed those years he was voted best steel guitarist in Guitar Player Magazine. He knew the truth.

Let's give this thing a rest! Forget about what he couln't do, think about what he did do for the popularity and acceptance of our beloved instrument.

As to the remarks about what a sorry band the Dead were, well I understand the sentiment but disagree. They gave many uninspired performances. They could also set the world on fire and did for many years. Too bad the "long strange trip" wound down in such an unfortunate fashion. Maybe the upside will keep more kids away from dope.

J. Garcia was a complex individual with plenty of faults, but always a dedicated player. He gave his all for the music he loved. ---JR

Geoff Brown

Nashvegas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2001 8:28 am    

"I played music there and Bath and Hornell and all the towns around there. Nice place to visit wouldn't want to live there no mo. Too slow paced for me. Geoff I don't know how old you are but I knew a lot of Browns there"

Small world, eh B? I was born and raised there, as were many generations of Browns before. Great place to raise a family. That area really changed after the Erie shops closed down. I wouldn't mind the slow pace if there was any decent music scene there. Like you, I've played a lot of the clubs..Eagles, Moose, VFW, and the few bars that weren't using DJs. And of course the campgrounds and pig roasts(loved those free grub gigs). Played the Opry Barn over in Cortland a couple times. Nice place. I played for a while with some folks over Addison way. Do you know Ray London from Canisteo? Heck of a picker and fiddle player. I heard he was here in Nashville recently with Jamie Hurd doing some recording. I'm related to the Westbrooks, if you know any of them. My mom is a Westbrook.

[This message was edited by Geoff Brown on 05 August 2001 at 09:32 AM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2001 2:08 pm    

I see this "Garcia - TYC" debate has gotten so old that we have to talk about the weather to keep it interesting.

I like what Jerry did on that song. It's about children, the music should be simple.
IMO, it's perfect.

I've tabbed it out a while ago. It's a great tune for you beginners to hava go at.

You'll be surprized how many non-steel fans will recoginize it! Tab and sound clips are at http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/1970.html

How 'bout that weather...

------------------

-j0e-
www.pedalsteel.tv

Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 1:25 pm    

Mike, Jerry played what he played and
alot of people liked it. Jerry is really
DEAD. You appear like you don't have enough
to do!!!!!!

[This message was edited by Steel tryin on 30 August 2001 at 02:26 PM.]

[This message was edited by Steel tryin on 30 August 2001 at 02:27 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 1:33 pm    

I thought this topic was "dead" by now!

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 2:11 pm    

Apparently, It was not Greatful enough to be dead yet. I once heard a well known top player say, "Either you can play or you cant". Enough said!

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 2:16 pm    

Here we go "Diggin'Up Bones" Is there any way we can bump this down?

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 5:32 pm    

I KNEW Mike was judgemental. I could tell just by looking at him Best, Boomer

Van Ertel

Lutherville, MD USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 6:08 pm    

Wow Boomer! Mike's comments struck me as being rather judgmental too. I thought the propensity for tolerance was absolute.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 12:08 am    

Judgemental? Moi?

Anybody who thinks that should be taken out and shot.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 7:58 pm    

A while back the wonderful John B. Arnold did an interview with me (should be showing up some day in the PSGA mag) where he asked, "and now for the tricky question.." I thought he'd be asking a sticky one about band finances or what it's like to have a banjo player for a band leader, but no, it was the "Garcia" Question... as I said then, I'm ALWAYS grateful to ANYONE who has or will advance the cause and "market share" of steel guitar in any form. And with that said, back to the Robert Randolph threads for me...

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 8:44 pm    

I had a couple of players over to the house last week, jamming away. Since it was the first time we'd all gotten together, the subject of how you started came up. I remember my childhood of Hank Thompson and Bob Wills music, but my first real impression of a pedal steel can be traced directly to the NRPS and their song Panama Red. In my slightly enhanced state of musical enjoyment at the time, I thought that was clearly the coolest thing I'd ever heard in my entire life. It was only when we pulled out the album last week that I realized that it was Garcia on that cut, (for some reason I always thought it was Buddy Cage.)

Anyway, Garcia may not have been great, or even good. But for yours truly, he sure provided an eye opening and very entertaining introduction to PSG. With all due respect to the Masters of the instrument, without Garcia I would have probably never known their names.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 6:05 am    

The only recorded version of Panama Red that I've heard was played by Buddy Cage.

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@home.com
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden Ext. E9/U-13 8&8=-

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 6:30 pm    

Garcia on "Panama Red" ? No wonder this thread is {Out of Order}!

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2001 9:37 pm    

I just rechecked the album credits and over at All Music, and confusion reigns. The album credits are Garcia but the Adventures of Panama Red, (1973), already listed Buddy as the steel player. I'd always thought Buddy made that cut, which is why these credits surprised me so much.

Anybody want to help sort this one out. I can't be the only one that spent the mid 70s smokin', er..ah.., listening to Panama Red.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2001 2:21 am    

Maybe Garcia played 6 string guitar on the cut.

Steven Cherson

Austin, TX.
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2001 3:23 am    

The album credits dont list him as being on the album, but he did play banjo on a version of Panama Red with the bluegrass band Old and in the Way in 1973

Jetdrivr

Jacksonville FL
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2001 1:45 pm    

I play in a dead cover band here in jacksonville Fl and routinely play stel guitar in that venue. Ive learned all the "Jerry Licks" and most of Buddy Cages also. whats important is how the people who enjoy listeneng to the Dead stuff really appreciate the change from guitar to steel, and dont have time to be judgenamental, or to dissect his playing, which is all about feeling. Al ot of good points made in here on this string, and I agre with just about all of the, pros and cons. Long live jerrys contribution to us in this field...Mickey