The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So how was the convention this year?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 6:57 am    

Who played? What were the highlights? etc.

I wish I could have been there.

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 7:30 am    

I heard a very tail end portion on internet
radio. Wish I'd tuned in earlier. What a nice service!

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 7:44 am    

For me the highlights were Buddy Charelton & Bobby Caldwell trading fours on those uptempo swing tunes. My, my, my goodness! And Tom Morrell's unique and very personal set. It was nice to see someone playing the music they love from the heart.

[This message was edited by Dirk B on 03 September 2001 at 08:45 AM.]

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 7:59 am    

Yupper - Buddy C. and Bobby C. were SMOKIN! I was also REALLY impressed by Joe Goldmark and friends. You all never heard a better version of Harlem Nocturn! And then Lloy Green and Tommy White were teriffic, too. And Tom Morrell was absolutely great as well. I could go on, but those were the high points for me.

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 03 September 2001 at 09:00 AM.]

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 8:05 am    

Best show in several years IMHO. Lots of great picking. I thougt the Lloyd Green and Tommy White perfomances together were
very special. Their individual spots also were great. I've never heard either of them sound better than they did at this show.......I also got to say Hello to Tommy and Teresa for a minute.

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 6:14 pm    

Highlights? (in no particular order):

• Lloyd Green

• Buddy Charlton

• hanging out w/Neil Flanz, Herb Steiner, Steve England, Bob Blair, Pete and Jerry Burak

• meeting Donna and Shotsie Jackson

• The Canadians (...eh?)

• Earnest Bovine (under cover as Doug Livingstone, I presume)

• meeting many Forumites

• Wayne's World - into the wee hours w/the Good Doctor

• Phil's BBQ

• Jim Palenscar describing his new Anapeg

• having a cold one w/Bill Stafford

• Chuck Campbell

• Joe Goldmark/Jim Campilongo and the 'Cats

• the "Mall o' Steel"

• ------------------
    Greg Simmons
    Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
    shobud.cjb.net

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 03 September 2001 at 08:34 PM.]

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
    Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 6:36 pm    

Highlights, as in what I remember the most fondly:
    Chuck Campbell showing us a new way (and tuning) to play the steel
    Gerry Hogan beautifully playing a 200 year old song (Plaisir L'amour by Giovanni Martini)
    Tommy White and Lloyd Green playing old Don Williams songs on dobro and steel
    Joan Cox doing an ENCORE (the only one I saw) of Redwing (Scotty said "she don't play like a girl")
    Russ Hicks and Jimmie Crawford playing perfectly together
    Buddy Charlton and Bobby Caldwell burning it up on stage
    Now those were some highlights!!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
    Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 6:44 pm    

What, Greg? You mean my snoring was not one of the convention highlights? I'm disappointed.

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
    Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 6:49 pm    

oh yeah, my favorite convention roomie - Jimbeaux

BTW, I think you left your alarm clock, I hope you don't mind, but in a moment of impulse just after checking out, I traded it to Herb for his '64 Emmons - though he kept "the sound"

I thought it a fair trade, as the clock is a black all-push model with "that sound", much more authentic than "the sound".

Actually, email me your address and I'll mail it to you.

oh, the snoring?: defintitely acceptable tone, but your tonsils were overblocking and killing the sustain

------------------
    Greg Simmons
    Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
    shobud.cjb.net

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 03 September 2001 at 07:56 PM.]

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
    Post  Posted 3 Sep 2001 8:45 pm    

Oh my god it was a fantastic show this year. So many highlights. Of Course Doug, Hal, Tommy, Robby Turner, Herbie. My top highlights were Lloyd and Tommy(when they kick Borrowed Angel, it gives me those chills.) My heroes Russ and Jimmie, man I love those guys. And my two favorite sets, Buddy Charleton and Terry Bethel. I loved seeing how tickled Bobby Caldwell was to sing Another Bridge to Burn with Buddy backing him and Bobby of course the Troubador stuff with Buddy. And Terry man, the perfect chords and when he got finished with Somewhere Over the Rainbow, he took me about 4 hours to pick my jaw up off the floor. My other highlights were gettin to jam with 4 great players in the Derby room: Jonathan Cullifer, Buck Grantham, Roger Edgington, and Louie Hallford. We were warmin up for Tommy, Robby, Jim, and Dale of course and Tommy and Robby were in the room while I was pickin and man, I was nervous. And then goin down and jammin in the Fulawka room with Butch Cornwell, an excellent player and a great guy. While I was in there, Russ Hicks came in and Billy Phelps was playin bass, that was some pressure. Anyway it was a great weekend. And I rode there and back with Bill Rudolph of Williams Guitars and that was alot of fun. Thanks for the ride Bill.

------------------
    The Young Steelkid

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
    Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 3:58 pm    

Buzz Evan's "Pink Panther". Chuck Lettes playing his "Little Ricky" frypan. Bud Charleton, Bud Charleton, Bud Charleton. The Lloyd and Tommy Show. Joe Goldmark and the 10 Gallon Top Hats. Wally Murphy sizzling again. Hughey on the 26th fret. Crawford and Hicks killing you with their twin tone. Jernigan playing "Making the Rounds". Herby and Tom getting into the HOF. Hal Rugg keeping you in delightful wonderment despite his pain. The Canadian Connection. Neil Flanz on the radio interview. Weldon touching you deeply even after being numbed by Charleton. Knowing Herb Steiner will play next year. Going to Mass with Mrs. Bobby Garrett and my mother. The "Circle Being Unbroken" with all our friends. Scotty's commitment to the steel guitar and its players...........

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
    Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 4:34 pm    

Dr. Wayne wrote:
    "Going to Mass with Mrs. Bobby Garrett and my mother."

One of the highlites for me was playing a short set for Mrs. Bobby Garrett and Mrs. Yates in the Sierra room.

It was really nice to meet and chat with these Ladies.

BTW Wayne,
    Buddy "Live in Denver" is GREAT!!!

-Pete B.

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
    Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 4:23 pm    

Dear Pete,
    Glad you like "Vibrato Records" latest CD, "Buddy Emmons Live in Denver 1982". It was introduced at Scotty's Convention!! Wasn't "The Rob Mullins Jazz Band" great with Buddy? Rob is now so famous on TV and movies as well as because of his jazz CDs.

Rich Sullivan

Nelson, NH 03457
    Post  Posted 6 Sep 2001 2:22 am    

Ditto to all of the above, and listening to Bobby Caldwell on guitar all weekend.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
    Post  Posted 7 Sep 2001 2:09 pm    

The Lloyd and Tommy set was the highlight for me. Tommy just wore the C6 out before Lloyd came on and then it just got better. Lloyd must have been reading my mind. He brought out the green Sho-Bud and I believe he played through only one Session 400 or at least that's all I could see but his tone and playing were never better. The man still has the touch and is probably better than ever. Tommy and Lloyd are real comliments to each other and should do an album together. I thought Buddy Charelton was outstanding as usual and it apeared he was playing an old P/P from where I sat. Great tone!

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
    Post  Posted 8 Sep 2001 6:17 am    

All were great, Lloyd, Tommy, John, Hal, Joe and all who played, But was Buddy Charleton great with Bobby!!! Sounded like to old Tubb day but in a modern way. The brightest of the bright spots of the convention.
    Billy

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
    Post  Posted 9 Sep 2001 4:18 am    

Seeing Speedy West kid around with various performers while they are playing is a big highlight for me

Mark Krutke

Tomahawk, WI USA
    Post  Posted 9 Sep 2001 6:56 am    

The overall atmosphere of the convention was a highlight in itself. The steel guitar family will continue to grow with these types of personalities of friendliness and good character present - personalities that were found from the professional to the novice.

The smoothness of Lloyd, and the precisness of Tommy's picking, and the emotion of Joe Wright's playing was only matched by their "down-to-earth" attitudes when you'd come up to them to say hello. I tried most all the steels, and they all played excellent. I'd Love to buy them all....