The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  most beautiful song played at the convention
Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 4:37 pm    

I would have to vote for "Borrowed Angel" with Lloyd Green and Tommy White.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 5:11 pm    

I was thinking of voting for the Lloyd/Tommy SET. The whole thing was marvelous.
Roger

erik

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 7:03 pm    

I was not able to hear all the players on the broadcast, but when i heard WKRP give the schedule for Saturday i knew i had to be home for the TW/LG set. It was everything i hoped it would be and more. When i heard LG play his smooth E9 stylings i remembered why i first fell in love with the sound of pedal steel. Now i HAVE TO get that video.

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 7:44 pm    

I liked Rhode Island Red by Jimmie Crawford & Russ Hicks but Lloyd & Tommy's Borrowed Angel tops the "take notice and listen list". A bit of trivia, Mel Street was one of Lloyd Greens favorite artist to record with because of his choice of material and his style. To this day, Lloyd is very proud of what he played on Mel's records and they stand as a testimony to two great musical genius'. Had Mel not committed suicide, what impact would it have had on George Jones' career?

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 4:31 am    

Without hesitation, for me it was Gerry Hogan playing the classical song by Giovanni Martini!!
(I think it was called Plaisir D'amour)
It's one of those haunting melodies, yet familiar sounding.
And Gerry's tone was prompting Scotty to compliment/comment on it from the stage

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 5:56 am    

I would have to add Doug Johnson and the song "Kindly Keep It Country."

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 4:16 pm    

Buzz Evans doing the "Pink Panther". Chuck Lettes on "California Dreaming" on his Ricky frypan. Buddy Charleton doing everything! Joe Goldmark doing "3rd Rock From the Sun". John Hughey doing "Look at Us"........

erik

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 7:29 pm    

joe, i just listened to that recording tonight off the Northen Steel CD. I didn't know DJ was at the convention and that he played that tune. What a coincidence, i haven't listened to it for months.

Doug Johnson

Brantford, Ont. Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2001 5:29 am    

Thank you Joe for your kind words. I am truly moved and honoured to be included in this thread. I would also like to add that Lloyd Green literally had me in tears with Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends. Try and hide that from your bandmates. Thanks again Joe.

Doug

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2001 7:27 am    

Mike,
If Mel had not passed away I think we would have had two really great country singers. I don't think It would have had any efect on George's Career at all. But I don't think Mel would have lasted as long Jone's has.

In Jone's book "I Lived To Tell It All" he tells about how Mel used to call him up and tell him about how much he sounded like him on his new record that was coming out.

I related the part (In another post) about how Mel,s family wanted him to sing at his funeral, which he did with great diffaculty. If you want to hear about It, email me. I don't want to clutter this up telling the same story's over and over.

I didnt hear any of the steel player's at the show, but I have Tommy and Lloyd's Video and I think I would have to vote for "Borrowed Angle" also simply because I ain't heard nothing as purty as that since "Slowly".

Bob Carlson

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 06 September 2001 at 08:40 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 06 September 2001 at 08:45 AM.]

Chad Karnitz

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2001 1:18 pm    

For me it was Lloyd and Tommy playing the Mel Street song "The Town Where You Live." I had just finished snapping some photos and was on my way back to my seat. Hearing the first couple measures made me stop in my tracks and stare in amazement. Pretty stuff!

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2001 2:09 pm    

There was a guy that played Old Rugged Cross. He had about 30sec to play it. It was his last song. Unfortunately, I missed his name, but he was awsome. I have to give credit to Steel Guitar Radio. I'm stationed in Germany and would'nt have got to hear anything. I was studying for a physics test, a calculus quiz and listening as much as i could. i heard alot of good stuff, got a 85% on my calc, and we won't talk about the physics if thats ok.
wayne

[This message was edited by Wayne Baker on 08 September 2001 at 03:11 PM.]

[This message was edited by Wayne Baker on 08 September 2001 at 03:12 PM.]

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2001 6:22 pm    

I think it was Hal Rugg that played "The Old Rugged Cross". I believe it's on one of his latest CD's.