The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ????s For Mike Brown About B/W Speakers
John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 5:35 am    

Mike,

I posted this in another section but got no reply so I'll try here.

We (some steel picking friends and I) are having a discussion (argument)about Peavey Black Widow speakers. Please answer these questions so that this disagreement (argument) doesn't escalate into a fist fight.

1-Does Peavey consider the 1502 a bass speaker?
2-Was the 1502 speaker ever used in bass amps?
3-What is the difference in the 1501 and the 1502 other than the 1502 having a deeper basket, therefore more cone excursion to better handle lows?
4- does the 1501 and the 1502 use the same magnet assembly?
5-Did Peavey originally put 1502 speakers in the Nashville 400 amp then switch to the 1501? ...if so, why?

I know all this has most likely been covered before but i ran a search but can't fit it.

Thanks in advance.

John Paul Jones

------------------
I Have Not Yet Begun To Pick.

GFI U-12, Evans FET500 amp, ART T2 effects, HM-4 harmony machine

[This message was edited by John Paul Jones on 31 August 2001 at 06:36 AM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 9:25 am    

Mike is probably in St. Louis. I wouldn't expect a reply until next week.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 7:03 am    

You are right Bobby..........I was in St. Louis. Great show by the way.

Now, to your questions. Yes, the 1502 was once used in both our bass amps and steel amps before we introduced the KEVLAR cone material in BW speakers. We still manufacture the 1502 BW's, but again, the cone material is made of KEVLAR. The only steel speaker that we manufacture for steel guitar applications at this time is the 1501-4 BW "sb", which stands for shallow basket.

In the mid '90's, our transducer engineers introduced the Black Widow line using a material called KEVLAR. This is the same material that bullet proof vests are made of. This material resists distortion characteristics therefore decreasing failure possibilities during a performance.

However, we found that KEVLAR material does not necessarily work well for the wide musical range of a steel guitar. Therefore, we still use a paper cone in the 1501-4 ohm shallow basket. All other Peavey products use KEVLAR cones.

The 1502 was once a paper cone, but when we switched to the KEVLAR cones, the Session 400 Limited was then switched to the paper cone. The Nashville 400 also used the older paper cone 1502 before KEVLAR was introduced.

The BW magnet will the 12, 15 and 18 BW baskets except for the early flat Peavey Spider magnets.

The reason for the DT(Deep Throat) baskets is to make the cone more rigid by curving it.

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 04 September 2001 at 08:07 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 04 September 2001 at 08:10 AM.]

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 1:24 pm    

My old 1983 Nashville has a 1502 with a paper cone. Would it sound better (you define "better") with a 1501?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2001 8:25 am    

My personal opinion is that the 1501-4 sb was specifically designed for steel guitar applications and the older 1502-4 paper cone was used for bass amp and steel amp applications. Just as the 1501-4 sb is well voiced for steel as well as fiddle, the older 1502-4 worked well for bass and steel.

After examining the response curves of the two speakers in question, the 1501-4 sb is up 3dB between 400-500 Hz. and up 5dB at 2kHz. This would give the speaker more mid range and "sparkle" over the 1502 model.

To my ears, this is an overall "better" sound for steel guitar. Fiddle players have also preferred our Nashville series of amps for their applications.

When the 1501-4 was introduced back in '95, we went to great lengths in ensuring that this model was what the pro players wanted from a speaker. During R & D of a new project, we frequently gather endorsers as well as Nashville area union musicians to provide feedback, input and ideas towards our products and future products so that we know that this is what is desired by players in our products. This idea has worked well in the past for us as well as pro and weekend musicians. As long as the support is there for steel products, we will provide the latest technological advancements in the way of products.

If you have other questions, please feel free to visit our Interactive Forums at www.peavey.com or contact me here at the factory at 1-877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Peavey Customer Services