The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thanks, Scotty
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 3:01 pm    

I had the convention of my life, and I want to thank Scotty for challenging me to do it! Some of you may know that at the 2000 convention, while Scotty was talking and filling time between performers, he spotted me and publicly asked if I'd play this year.
I wanted to say "I have to wash my hair that night", but everybody knows that I don't have any... and then I wanted to say "Sorry, I'm just too scaird", but you can't say that in front of a thousand other pickers, so instead I rose to the bait and said "I'd be honored". This year rolled around and I brought my band, "Jim Campilongo & the 10 Gallon Cats" for moral and musical support, and to my surprise, actually had a great time playing the midnight set. Thanks to all of you who stayed up to hear us, and for the nice response. I also want to thank my good friend Dr. Wayne Yakes, "the steel players friend" for his contributions to our instrument. I'd also like to again thank everyone I met and hung with, including David Phillips, Jim Cohen, John Macy, Dan Tyaak, Chuck Lettes, and Herb Steiner. Also, everything that's been said about Chuck Campbell is true, not only is he an excellent picker, but he's a class act. My only question is "Where was Smiley?" Joe

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 3:14 pm    

"Hey Joe",
Loved your "3rd Rock From The Sun"!! I sure couldn't tell if you were "scared" during your whole set!! Everyone I spoke to absolutely loved your set and wished it could have gone on longer. You and the band have proven the validity and the beauty the different directions the steel guitar can ascend. Hope to see you soon my friend. You are most gracious with the kind words. Scotty said you and band were great!!

erik

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2001 7:11 pm    

Regretfully, i happened in to the broadcast just after your set Mr. Goldmark, and i was greatly disappointed i missed it. I'm glad you had a good time.

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 5:06 am    

Hey Joe,
Hearing you and the 10 Gallon Cats was one of the highlights for me at this year's Convention. I loved your choice of material and the energy that the band delivered. I'm glad that the set went smoothly for you. You're right, performing in front of an audience of your peers can be terrifying, but also one of the best moments. I'm glad that I caught your set, Joe, and let's stay in touch.
Chuck

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 7:00 am    

Joe,

When I found out the "Cats" were playing the convention I told my wife not to expect me home early. I was totally knocked out, bought 2 CD's and haven't stopped listening since. I live just outside of St. Louis so could you come back here soon and play a regular show?

Steve

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 7:16 am    

Thanks everyone. We tried to provide a different setting for steel guitar music, and from comments that we got, that's what everyone enjoyed most about our set. Steve, I actually will be playing at the Off Broadway in St. Louis on Oct. 3, with the Twangbangers. This is a group put together by Hightone Records that features Redd Volkaert, Bill Kirchen, Dallas Wayne & myself. We're doing a major tour of the country, and I'll post all the dates next week.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 9:42 am    

Hey Joe! I'm gonna try real hard to catch you guys somewhere. Bill K. is a great old pal, and Redd is a great new one! I can't keep up with either of them, so I wanna see someone who can! Maybe you can show me how to do the Lauderdale stuff the right way too!
Hope to see you soon,
TD

Rich Mounce

Dunfermline, Il
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 12:59 pm    

Joe...Ditto to the great job you guys did and thanks for the interview on Steelradio.com. We received a lot of e-mail concerning your set and it was all very positive. I already have your CD's in the play list for Steelradio! Good luck on your up and coming tour and tell Redd I said hey. He is a blast to work with.

Rich Mounce
Promotion Director http://Steelradio.com

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 2:30 pm    

Quote:
I was totally knocked out, bought 2 CD's and haven't stopped listening since.

Me too...EXACTLY!

You should have seen the look on Scotty's face during Harlem Nocturn. I think he was as knocked out as much as anyone. Great show
!

Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 8:33 pm    

Joe,

Part of your set was all I had time to listen to on the Internet that weekend. I really enjoyed it. It was a real inspiration to me to hear the steel and guitar as equals in a band.

Scotty sounded very genuine in his praise, I think you moved something inside of him for sure.

The Beatles song was the one that got to me the most! (The Night Before, wasn't it?)

Keep it up, and thank you very much,

Les Pierce

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 9:01 pm    

Hello Joe,
It was nice to finally meet you. I'm a big fan of your music. I really enjoyed your set last Friday night. Take care! Bob

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2001 9:59 pm    

Hi guys. Tommy, don't expect me to keep up with those guys either. I'm just gonna sit back and watch the sparks fly. Jimmy Murphy was the perfect foil for Redd, the rest of us will have our tongues hanging out after the first tune. I'm sure we'll hook up at Gruens or the Continental Club. Rich, I'm glad we did the internet hook-up, and that people are responding. Good luck with that project. Steve, I don't remember much about how Scotty reacted as I was trying to concentrate on the task at hand, but I'm glad he wasn't frowning. Les, you got the tune right, and it's from my CD-Steeling the Beatles. Bob, it was great to meet you also, and to hear a little of the Canadian concert. You guys are all real good. I have to say the whole convention was a rush.
Oh yeah, I also hooked up with Carco, who used to play around S.F. and who recently did a stint with Asleep At the Wheel.