The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Charles "Jerry" Fox
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 7:44 pm    

My cousin who lives in Midland,TX sent this obituary to me as she happenned to notice that he played pedal steel for Loretta Lynn, George Jones & Bill Mack. Has anyone heard of Jerry Fox? He was a two time heart transplant recipient(1986 & 1990) & died Aug 9th.

MALCOLM KIRBY

Crofton, KY USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 9:18 pm    

I never met Jerry in person, but talked to him quite a bit on the phone - and considered him a friend. I will always cherish the special gift that he sent me a few months before he died. A very nice gentleman and a good steel player.
I'll miss him. Rest in peace my friend.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2001 5:59 pm    

I knew Jerry. He was really helpful to me when I first started playing. I'm sorry to hear of his death. He was a really swell guy.

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 10:02 am    

I met Jerry about 1970 when he was involved with Jim Evans and the Evans Amps developement. He was a great player and a great enthusist of the steel (I'm not saying "great" to be nice either). Although he was playing quite a few gigs, his "day job" was working as an exec in the oil industry (back when it was still big in Texas).
I talked to Jerry maybe three months ago and he was about to go back to Houston for some more surgery associated with his last transplant. At the time, he wasn't sure if he'd live past that experience, but I told him I'd send him some music and call him in a few months. Wish I'd contacted him sooner. I still use a bar that he made years ago and gave to me. I'll cherish it even more now.
God bless you my friend.

Mike G. Smith

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 5:50 pm    

Back in the mid 70's I purchased a satin finsh Rosewood Emmons p/p from a Jerry Fox in the Dallas area. He was a great person and excellent player. Had a number of conversations for several years. Could this be the same Jerry Fox? If I remember correctly he had just come off the road with Lorrett and he also had an Evans amp.

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 7:27 am    

Probably was this Jerry. He lived in Dallas for awhile.

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 6:54 am    

Jerry was a fine player and a dear friend. The thing I remember most about him was his uplifting and positive attitude.

He was an inspiration to me in many ways. I will miss him, but I take comfort in knowing that passing is the beginning, not the end.

Pat Rick

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 10:24 am     Jerry Fox

My uncle, Jerry Fox, was a well-known and appreciated steel guitar player from Texas. Many years ago, he entrusted me with a final draft of a book he wrote. I am soon to publish that book he authored. I am reaching out to those that knew him well. Please respond with information suitable to appear in the upcoming book about his unique life.
Thank you
Pat Rick

Buddie Hrabal

Arlington,Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 5:17 am     Jerry Fox

I first met Jerry in 1968 at a Steel Guitar Show in Dallas, at the "Longhorn Ballroom" After "Big E' got thru playing I inquired about the amp. It was a "Sho-Bud" Jerry told me they were built by Jim Evans. I loved the amp and asked how much...well it was a little over $800. I told I wanted it and I would be back shortly with the money. I went home, counted the money in my piggy bank and went back to purchase the amp with $860 in change. I still have that amp today and it still sounds awesome. It is an Evens Compactra 100. He was definitely quite a guy and a friend to steel guitar players.

Pat Rick

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 4:08 am    

Soon, I Don't Buy Green Bananas, by Charles Jerry Fox, will be edited and available on Amazon. [/i]