The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Burnout
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 5:57 am    

Over the last year, I've gone from someone who loved to play to the other end of the spectrum. It just turned into another job, and week after week of playing the same top forty set list sure didn't help. A couple of weeks ago I sat in with Jeff Coffells band playing next to Skeeter Black. I even told Skeeter that I just dreaded playing so much that I never took the guitar out of the case except for jobs........Now I had a great time that night, playing old honky tonk music and just having fun. Whatever happened made me feel that old stirring inside. I was so inspired that I set up my steel at home and played along to some old honky tonk tracks. I've decided that change is what I need to get fired up again. Along that line, I've ordered a Zum to add a little variety to my playing. It should be here next week.
I think I'll try to hit a few of the jams and opries we have and ge stoked again.

Do you guys get burnt out also?

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter D10/Evans
Martin D35
Forum Host: The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum
http://pub55.ezboard.com/btheunofficialmartinguitarforum

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 9:55 am    

I got really tired of driving all over for $20, beer and parking, then every now and then one of those fabulous nights would happen that would make up for all the others when there were more people in the band than there were in the bar. It's a reminder of why we do this.
It also helps to play different kinds of music, as a way to keep them all fresh, and they tend to cross-pollinate, which will make you a more interesting player.

[This message was edited by chas smith on 16 August 2001 at 11:00 AM.]

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 10:10 am    

It would also help to have Dolly Parton, Laurie Morgan & Faith Hill all fronting the band!

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 11:49 am    

Steve,
I have known for some time that I sort of, in my words, "cycle." That is, for a period of time I'm all steel and nothing else, then my interest declines and I fine other things that are interesting to me. I get where I don't practice (?) at home and seldom ever take it out of the case, except when I've got a gig. Then something sparks my interest and away I go again, eating, sleeping,etc, steel guitar. I find that I do the same thing with anything I'm interested in though.

One thing that helps me is to keep the music in my head. Listening to tapes, videos, or working on steels. Trying out new pedal set ups and changes also keeps me interested. So, I think that anything that keeps your mind on it in some way helps keep you attached, but I don't think you have to make a "ritual" out of practicing (if I can't play the thing by now, I never will!). Many times my "practicing" is done "in my head" before I ever sit down at the guitar. If you feel like it do it, but don't force yourself, just stay attached somehow. If a person just sits and practices the same thing over and over, at a certain time everyday/night, and doesn't learn anything new or try new things, I think boredom can set in. I also feel the same way about playing in the same ol' band or playing in the same old club for extended periods of time. When you play (or practice), do you look forward to it or do you give in to the idea that "I need to do it"?

No matter how much you love the steel guitar, you can get too much. A good example is going to St Louis Convention. How many people actually sit through every player? How many people leave with steel guitar "overdose", yet they plan for the next year?

Playing in clubs can be the same thing. I have gotten burned-out from playing in clubs many times, but there is always some point where I want to get out and play some.
So, I have a "hot and cold" relationship with the steel that has gone on for 44 years. It is what and who I am, it is my first love (since I was six years old), it is my occupation and my hobby! But every once in a while I have to get away from it temporarily. You know, I'm usually a better player after a break away from it, too. I guess it opens up my thinking to new stuff! I get away from it, but I always go back. Thank God for an understanding wife ( she's had to deal with me for 30 years)!

Getting away from it and coming back can be oh so much fun, just don't stay away too long!

Ol' "fickle" Dave

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 12:37 pm    

Back in may, I went to the Show in Saluda and sat in with some great pickers. When I got back up here, the gigs weren't fun any more and I got to dreading having to play with less than the best, So in the past 3 weeks I have quit everything, the group I played with (VCMA Band of the year for 2000), The Virginia Country Music Association, and almost all local gigs. I will go to the show in Saluda every three months get my "musical fix" and come back home and prepare for the next one.
The point is if you're not playing with Musicians better than yourself, you aren't learning and growing musically. There is no satisfaction in playing music that is second rate. Money helps, but the Satisfaction still isn't there. I don't depend on music for a living anymore, so its all for the enjoyment of picking and pride in doing it well.

------------------
John

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 16 August 2001 at 01:47 PM.]

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 12:39 pm    

Steve, I just went through the same thing Pal. I begged the Top40 guys I was working with to quit playing the same song list night after night. They didn't. Now their crowds are falling off etc. etc. I "dragged up" this past weekend. I thought the lead singer was gonna cry when I told him. They were the kind of band that works a steelman to death. They are too cheap to hire a keyboard player and they expect the steelman to be some sort of a miracle musician that can make his pedal steel sound like "Everything but a steel guitar." I just couldn't take it anymore. Went out Sunday and got me a good old fashioned classic country gig every Fri. and Sat. about 20 miles from the house. Can't wait.
Best Regards

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 1:40 pm    

Hey Guys,,,,Im glad you brought this up, I have been playing all of my life,,,made a living at it for years until Fender came along and I did the sales rep things and got off the guitar in 60 altogether,

I was with Fender since the very early 50's but was always able to find time to play. Listen up,,,I would wake up during the night
and have this terrible nightmare that I FORGOT HOW TO PLAY.

I would run into the music room ,,,and just pick up the picks and bar no amp and just play for a while...then I realized the the dream did not come true.

I bought this PC last June,,,I have got so invloved with it,,,I never knew what "cut & paste meant,,,,,hell a friend of mine who is a PC whiz would call me and say,,,,well cut and paste the dammed thing,

I would reply what does that mean?? do I have to get a scissor and Elmers glue???
Then I would open a window or close a window that I should'nt have,,,,what does this mean?
Man I only opened a window when it was warm in the house,,,,and closed it when it got cold or it was raining.

Hers's the point,,,,,my guitar playing has
suffered "BIG TIME" because of the time I spent on this thing,,,,I have made myself a promise,,,,STOP DOING THE PC and practice every day once again.

I got the message when I tried to play a few night ago,,,,,the bar felt uncomfortable,,,the picks didnt fit right,,the amp sounded lousy,,,the volume pedal didnt have the thrust,,,the strings were "so close" and I said to my self.....thats it,,,,,NO MORE PC OK maybe 1/2 hr a day....

Just stay off it when it gets to you,,,,you do more harm trying to force yourself,,,as for me??? Im off this Forum but wanted to reply to this thread.....see you guys,,,,,,
it's a common thing as to what you are expieriencing,,,,,keep at it,,,,do a little at a time,,,,

Gotta Get My Chops back,,,,in plain english
SCREW THIS COMPUTER,,,,,,outta here....excuse the edit,,,I had a hard time
playing "Song Of The Islands" the nightmare came true,,,,,the NIGHTMARE IS THIS COMPUTER
Out the window it goes,,,,,,,

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 16 August 2001 at 02:42 PM.]

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 3:49 pm    

Jody, you ain't never gonna leave. I was in MARS Music today and was looking at a Fender book, and lo and behold who should appear 1st on the left? Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2001 4:47 pm    

Nowadays, I only play when I feel like it. There were many years I had to do it, for the money. But now, I do more listening (and gabbing here) than I do playing.

I'm somewhat philosophic about playing now. And for my last "regular playing years", I just didn't enjoy driving too far, playing music I didn't like, for people who didn't care, for too little money. Nowadays, if I think I'll enjoy the gig...I do it. But if it's going to be a hassle, there ain't enough money in the world to make me play!

I think it's important to feel you're a key part of what's going on. Playing simple fill and grace notes just isn't my style. In the studio, yeah...OK, gotta do it there. But at live gigs, I want to be "up front", or I'm gone!

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 11:14 am    

I had to give up regular gigging two years ago due to cancer. I must confess, I don't miss gigging half as much as I thought I would. I very much enjoy not having to travel for hours to play somewhere that I don't want to be,and getting home in the early hours of the morning. I get my musical fix with the occasional gig, and recording. Getting back to the thread, if I don't feel like playing steel, I don't.

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 2:49 am    

I've been "playing" for a while on my OLD "Classic MSA". For a long while it was my livleyhood or co.vocation. I'm an adequate player who has never reached a real level of convidence...but due to economic set backs..had to. I've played lead guitar (adequate) and Bass (I think I'm very good) and steel because I basicly had too..But I never realy Studied. How can youlearn a bunch of great licks or song...and Never use..or do them. Most of my playing has been in top 40 or cover country..and nowone realy cares if you get that lick exactly right. I became complacient..learning enough to "GET BY". The bad health thing started..and soon I was playing less. I couldn't work any more and sort of lost interest in the steel.Then I started going to some shows..and watched and listened to some of the greats. Bought some of their albums..and just decided to pick for fun..The hands and fingers still arn't fast..and, I can't read music "stictley an ear man"..and I have problems working that tab stuff..But I have sat down with John Hughy, Hal Rug, Larry Sasser, Johnny Crawfors,Paul Franklin, Bruce Boulton, Tommy White, Loydd Green, Herby Walace..and a few others.(on tape or disk of course)..and have been revitalized to learn mor licks, and techniques, and becom more proficient. I play with a Very Country Classic band once a week and with a more High Energy band that does an awfull lot of rock.. I now find myself feeling more comfortable,relaxed,competent and experimenting more, and playing a lot better..due to my practicing. Some how I don't have to think a lot I just do it. But I've still got a long way to go. But I do it for FUN NOW..I "Don't Have to Play". I've been playing a lot of songs that I've never played before ...just heard..or havn't done in a long time...But I don't put any pressure on myself..I go out and have a good time and enjoy playing..mistakes and all...But I finally know that I'll never be another John, Herby,Hal, LLoyd,Smiley,Paul. or whoever..Just me..so for a while I've put out my "Burn Out"
Grouchyvet

Robert Thomas

Mehama, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 3:19 am    

Steve,I burned out on playing for clubs 25 years ago. I know that feeling of bored with that same old thing.
About 5 years ago I formed my own one man band and I perform strictly for nursing homes and care centers. Hey what a good feeling. I play for an audience that appreciates every thing I do and I get to play everything I like to play. I have done it so long now that I can't stand to play with someone else. I play 4 or 5 times a week and look forward to every time I play. It is really a lot of fun for me and the audience.
If you can do it try it.
I have learned to sing while playing my steel and I didn't realize singing could be so much fun. I play a Mullens D10 W/8 + 4. For effects I have a Korg KR55 rythum machine, a Mutron bi-phase and a Roland RE 101 Space Echo. My wife really loves my music and comes with me for every session. I feel quite fortunate to have so much fun this late in my life. I have been playing for 52 years and will continue until I can't anymore.
If you want to put some life back in your music you might consider trying playing for those who really appreciate it.

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 6:45 am    

...that's a great reply, Robert...

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 7:57 am    

I think it is really a matter of stages; The first stage is I actually made money, they let me play. The next stage is a steady gig and improvement. Then the decision to really do this for a living. Some people never really commit to this and you find you are a"Hometown Hero". Somewhere the decision has to be made although a lot of people by pass making it until it is too late and they have to play or perish. This is not a desirable situation. Steve has a medical practice and is not in this situation but I know a lot of people who are. The other problem is being the victim of other people's limitations, inferior musicians, and people who pursue the business with nothing but a paycheck in mind. These bands are the kiss of death for a player who wants to remain motivated...Pete

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 9:09 am    

Steve, my "burnout" resulted in my quitting "cold" on December l, 1970, when I had more high paying gigs booked during the coming Christmas season than ever before. I not only didn't play for the next 12 years, I didn't even open the cases as they were "stored" in my attic.

When I finally did come back in the early 80s I had to "learn" E9 before I could even get a regular job....but I did, and my playing experience has been better than ever before. www.genejones.com

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 10:32 am    

For some of us, a sabbatical from the music business, not music is essential now and then. I quit for 7 years, and like Gene, stored my stuff away. I got a day job, and proved to myself that I actually could do something else besides play music for a living. When I did start to play again, I realized that I had forgotten down through the years that music is supposed to be enjoyable, not work and drudgery. I have remembered that ever since. I think a lot of the depression that comes from playing is a result of several different factors.: Not making much money, playing with bad players, not being respected by other players, not being appreciated by who you're working for, etc. It's hard to come to terms with all those elements, but I think that we have to allow certain things to "run their course." Our love and devotion to steel guitar and music will eventuall win out over the other "crap." Good Luck, Steve!!!

------------------

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 10:35 am    

good stuff here folks... I actually have been doing better the last week. The band is off the entire month of August so that helps.
My new used Zum was delivered about an hour ago and that has me fired up. As Pete pointed out, I don't depend on this for a living. (We'd all starve)I do play 75 to 100 jobs a year and I guess the tedium of playing the same top forty licks just caught up with me. thanks for all the input.
steve

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2001 8:35 pm    

High Steve. I had a "top 40 melt down" about 2 years ago and told a great group of musicians Good bye an d good luck. For a while all I did was the steel guitar shows. I got a frantic call one day from a band needing a steel player. Reluctantly, I agreed to do the gig. When I saw the song list, I almost had a stroke. It started like this : "Crazy Arms" "Farewell Party"-" City Lights" ,etc. I am still working with this band and having a blast. There is still hope out there. Best of luck to you. See you down the road. Jody.

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2001 5:51 am    

Glad your fired up again Steve. See what a good dose of PLUMB COUNTRY can do. Ha.

Yo bud

Jeff PLUMB COUNTRY Coffell

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2001 6:13 pm    

Yes, I agree with all of you guys.During the late 70's and for most of the 80's, I had the great fortune to play every weekend, plus 3 or 4 nights a week. I also held down a day job. I never really took the steel out at home to practise. Most of the time I was practising on stage, on slow nights. I really thought I was in a musician's heaven, but, alas, all the hours of non sleep, inhaling all those cigarettes, and I must admit to having a few too many beers sometimes, started to make me get very apathetic about performing. I couldn't wait for the night to be over sometimes. But, for the last several years, I've been playing every few months. Not a lot, just enough to keep my interest and desire at a razor keen edge.In fact, I just received a call to do a studio session, and I can't wait to hear the material. Of course, bad bands and lead singers- male and female can really make the job tedious. I try to pick and choose the jobs to my liking, and that's probably why I'm only playing now and then. And yes,three or four days at St.Louis will almost always burn me out. Sometimes I can't even listen to music for a day or two. One time I had a job to play the day after St.Louis, and brother was that a bear to do. I thought I would go out of my head.
So,in a nutshell. Sometimes too much, is really too much.
See you all in St.Louis.
Sincerely,
John

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 3:23 am    

To paraphrase what many above are saying: "Playing the steel guitar is kind of like having sex......most of us would rather do it than to watch someone else do it."

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 7:39 am    

Somestimes stepping away from it can be good (unless your living comes from it). Although I had a good road job with a great band, I was tired of the same ole same ole day-in and day-out. Except for a few weeks a year, I quit for almost 10-years.
When I started back a few years ago, it felt fresh although it was literally like starting over. My tastes had changed and my playing really didn't work anymore. I'm learning some new stuff now and it's exciting (and hard) again and I've got a lifetime of learning ahead so hopefully I'll never get bored or burned out. The only things that didn't change were having to tune this thing and the pain of carrying so much gear.