The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  POLL: How Many like Using Fuzz ?
Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2001 9:18 pm    

I'd be interested to know, how many of us currently use fuzz boxes?

On a regular basis?

Rarely?

Regards,
HH

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2001 9:57 pm    

Howdy Harry, we do a few rock and roll tunes, for those, I use a Marshall Drive Master. Not really fuzz, as in boss tone, or a fuzz face, but it's a killer OD unit.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 12:50 am    

I use a Fulltone Fulldrive II for overdrive.

I have been using it quite a bit. Mostly on Country gigs where I need to cover parts.

From now on though I will make sure to check with you first

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 26 August 2001 at 03:18 AM.]

Cameron Parsons

Angleton, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 1:15 am    

I use a Goodrich Steel Driver on a very regular basis.

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 4:41 am    

Harry , I don't like to use distorted sound as I like the clean pure tone of a steel guitar, but if perchance the set turns into a rockfest, I'll use the string effect on my Session 500.Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 5:18 am    

I use an old Electro Harmonix Big Muff from the 70's (the best fuzz box ever mand IMHO.) It's on a bypass loop, along with a 6 band equalizer, so I can EQ just the fuzz. It screams, and it sustains forever.

Works real good on songs like "The Way To Survive Boogie."

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 5:33 am    

I use Mesa/Boogie amplifiers which include a "lead" channel that overdrives the preamp tubes. I use it as appropriate for rock and blues. I've never found a "fuzz" stomp box that I really like.

This topic really should be in "Electronics", but I'll wait until the poll is finished to move it.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E7, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 7:57 am    

i got one. i never use it !
i use the channels on my Fenders to get the grain.
Steel what ?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 8:24 am    

I have a Boss Tone that I'll use for a Rock or Blues tune once in awhile...maybe 2 or 3 songs a night. It gets old fast...very fast! Like a Leslie, it's an effect that I just can't stand on a regular basis. But I have heard players that would stutter without one.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 8:46 am    

I use a DanElectro "Daddy-O" overdrive pedal for the Slide Parts in "Boot Scootin Boogie", "T-R-O-U-B-L-E", and similar covers.

When I am really serious about the distortion-tone I'll use a POD. (It sounds better than the Dan-o but is a bit more complicated to setup.)

-j0e-

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 9:48 am    

After trying a number of different units, I'm really happy with the sound of this tiny Guyatone overdrive I'm using. Fat and sustainy without too much harshness. Of course the whole distortion debate is a can of worms, but I find it really appropriate from time to time in the music I play and record. Besides "rock slide guitar" sounds, I use it for cello type lines, sustained harmonics, etc. And it sounds great with an e-bow. I use reverb too... (!)

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro

Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 10:03 am    

One reason I hang on to my old Alesis Quadraverb GT's is that I get fuzz on the few occasions I want it. If not for that I would probably use a Lexicon MPX 100, or one of the Digitec effects units, but I'm under the impression that I'd have to have an outboard stomp box or resurrect my old Jordan BossTone if I switched from the Alesis.

MALCOLM KIRBY

Crofton, KY USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 10:30 am    

Goodrich Steel Driver III.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 10:56 am    

In the land of un-country and not-swing, I use overdrivers and fuzz tones into DDLs, like Ultra-Harmonizers. The old TC Electronics and the Goodrich Steel Driver are really nice and friendly, the Boss Tone, (Jordon) is pretty nasty and my favorites are the Stamps Drive-O-Matics. Out of the guitar, before the pedal, they sound like an overdriver that can be varied from harsh to overdriven humbucker. After the pedal, they act like an amplifier being driven into distortion, the more you feed it, the further into overdrive it goes. They've been described as the poor man's Dumble. I've also chained several together,after the pedal. Each one is set to just before it 'breaks up' where I normally ride my volume pedal, then when I push it, they all start to break and the tone 'blossoms'.

For more exotic stuff, I have a rack with a Peavey Rock Master, a tube pre amp (with four 12AX7s) with 2 stages of overdrive. This then feeds a Metasonix TS-21 Hellfire Modulator which is a very elaborate, and pricey, overdriver.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 11:03 am    

When needed, I use a Goodrich Steel Driver. Works great. Jody.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 11:16 am    

I've got several units but I can't remember the last time I used any of them.I have a fuzzy kind of rock preset that I came up with programmed into my Boss SE-70 which sounds a bit like Sneaky when he goes "fuzzy".But the funny thing is that when I play with a real rock band and switch on the fuzz,the guitar player invariably says: "No,no,no - I got that sound covered.We want the steel to sound like a steel - that's why we hired you".
And actually,instead of making drastic changes in my sound,I prefer just changing my playing style to go from bag to bag. -MJ-

Chas Holman

10 miles outa Lone Star, TX - USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 11:16 am    

I use a 25 year old "S. Hawk, Ltd." box that's been modified - turned the male input into a short guitar cord and put some 'broom holder' clamps on the bottom. The unit 'snaps' on to the steel's back right leg, then the 'tail' plugs right into the steel, a guitar cord to the volume pedal and you're 'good to go'.

I'd feel very naked without it on the rock stuff... one little flip 'o the switch and you're ready for Black Sabbath or ZZ-Top.

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 11:26 am    

I'm using a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 in the extremely-not-country band that I'm playing with these days. I use it a LOT.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 2:18 pm    

I use two different distortion units. An MXR Distortion + and a yellow Boss pedal, which I can't remember the name of. I have two for different kinds of fuzz. I use them mainly on guitar. I don't have a set time or song to use them on the steel. If a song gets called that has a rock type edge, (like Travis Tritt's version of T-R-O-U-B-L-E,) and I don't want to jump back on guitar I'll turn one on and do a slide guitar kinda thing.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 9:42 pm    

I have never used a fuzz tone, except on the Opry, where I used a bosstone given to me by none other than Weldon Myrick to get that string sound. Not that I hate the sound, there are some sneaky pete solos that kill with a really fuzzed out sound. But I have found that when I use a distortion or fuzz box, I can never compete with a killer guitar player going through a tube amp. And I hate to give it up to a guitar player.....

I do like the sound of small tube amps being ridden hard and put up wet. So to get this sound I prefer to use small tube amps, tortured to the point of pain. When this isn't possible I use a Fulltone FullDrive2, which is a very nice overdrive unit.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 10:30 pm    

Count me in,with my (orig. Jordan Electronics) "BossTone". Best "fuzz" I ever heard.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Robert Todd

Atlanta, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 8:29 am    

I use two different amp set ups. My Mesa Boogie Mark IV has 2 killer overdrive channels that I like, but I've recently switched to a Peavey 1000 and a Boss 330 (?) effects unit that has a great amp modeling section and stackable effects (compression, overdrive, delay etc.)

So far I have been using the preset Blues # 2 and # 3 overdrive for one or at most 2 songs a night. Much more is too much for the band I'm with now.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 8:38 am    

I use an old DOD yellow overdrive pedal which sounds great. When playing rock or blues tunes I always just hold the A & B pedals down and play out of the A position with only bar movement. A steel player can do slide guitar lines which destroy a guitar player doing the same thing. Lead guitar is actually my main instrument and I do play slide but I really think it sounds better on the steel. Also a Rat unit sounds pretty good too!

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Ed Kuhns

Monroe, NY
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 9:00 am    

I use it on a couple of rock/blues type songs in slide guitar style. It does get old real fast if you overdo it. I have a distortion patch programmed into my profex-II. Ed

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 10:21 am    

I carry two. A Boss Overdrive Plus for country/blues less distorted stuff and a Danelectro Fab Tone for the Rock/fuzz stuff. The Fab Tone sounds a lot like my old Boss Tone to my ears.

Bill