The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A tip on the shuttle service from St. Louis airport
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 5:25 pm    

I went to ISGC last year with a friend and we used the shuttle service to our hotel located just outside the baggage area. We both bought round trip tickets since it was easier.

We called the night before we left STL to confirm a pick up and a time to the airport for the next morning. Well, you guessed it; there were four of us waiting out front the next morning at 7:00 AM for a van that never came. We got to talking to a guy who works for the hotel and he said that he wasn't surprised, that it happens all of the time with that particular service. He flagged us down a limo/cab, and we all got to the airport on time. By the time four of us split the fare it was about the same price as what the shuttle was (or would have been).

Of course when we got to the airport to try to get our money back the guy at the shuttle service "didn't have the authority" to give us a refund and gave me a phone number to call. The people at the airport information desk were also of no help. I know it might sound extreme, but I called the shuttle service when I got back home and got a recording and left a message. I also wrote to the airport people and explained what happened. It should come as no surprise that I never heard from anybody.

I know it's only pocket change, but experience coupled with what the hotel guy said about the service smells like a rip off. My advice if you use these guys is to get up early, use your own judgement when it comes to buying a round trip ticket, don't be surprised if your shuttle doesn't show up, and have a back up plan.

I don't know if there was a change of ownership, but we used the same service at ISGC 1999 and had no problems.

(Seriously) Have a good time at ISGC 2001!!!

PS- and don't forget to visit Tucker's Steak House.

Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 6:39 pm    

You can also use the Light Rail system, just 4 blocks away from the hotel at Busch Stadium, for a hassel free low fare ride directly to the airport. Takes about 20 to 30 minutes.

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 9:18 pm    

Thanks for the reminder Bob; I've been doing my "research" for my first visit to ISGC and saw that as well - one-way fare is only $3

here's a link to schedules and other info:

http://www.bi-state.org

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 2:18 pm    

Does anyone know what a taxi charges?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 2:31 pm    

Tony, best I 'member a taxi ride costs between $25 and $30.....but it's been a couple years since I took that ride. Seems like it's about a 20 min. trip.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 7:40 pm    

Yeah, I think the last cab I took in from the airport was about 25 bucks with the tip. Last year I took the light rail system back to the airport, and it worked great and didn't take much longer. Not as attractive a way to go if you are carrying a lot of luggage. If you get off at the stadium it's only a couple of blocks or so to the hotel.

Chris Caruso

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2001 4:16 am    

Take the rail system. Its fast, easy, and cheap. Its also air conditioned. It's a two minute walk from the other side of the stadium. You don't have to worry about it showing up. We had to take a cab one year because the shuttle didn't return. No problems with the rail.

------------------
D-10 Fessenden