The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wayne Gailey from Albuquerque,
Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 4:31 pm    

Is there anyone who remembers Wayne Gailey? I met him in Albuquerque several years ago, then rumours said he passed away. What sounds could he get out of a Sho-Bud, amazing.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 9:03 pm    

Remember Wayne? You've got to be kidding! He had to be the greatest Fender 1000 ,commercial player in the world.I did the Kenny Vernon sessions for RCA during the time Wayne was working the road with Kenny,I heard them one nite in Vegas and was so very impressed with the entire show, and mostly Waynes playing and I went out looking for a Fender for sessions!Thanks for remembering this great player and human being.
Bobbe

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 10:45 pm    

Amen to what Bobbe says about Wayne. We worked opposite shifts at the Caravan East in Albuquerque and I would always go in early or stay late to hear Wayne play. He was working with Nestor Eaton back in '76.

John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 11:33 am    

I had the pleasure of working with "Paul Harper and the Westerners" with Wayne Gailey on steel in '63. Enough can't be said about his picking or him as a person.

His passing was very sad. He is very much missed by those that had the honor of knowing him or hearing him play.

John Paul Jones

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 10:36 am    

Wayne was playing the Caravan East when I was working the Hitching Post, and we used to run across town just to catch a set. If I remember right, he used a Baldwin Crossover and was getting all the great sounds of the new guitars. Just wondered if anyone would remember him as I did.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 5:24 pm    

Roger, is that the Hitching Post in California?

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 5:35 pm    

Jason: Excuse me for jumping in. There was a Hitching Post in Albuquerque. I think you are thinking of the one in Southern CA. I also worked the Caravan East in Albuquerque for a couple of weeks with Danny Michaels and the Rebel Playboys. We took a mini road trip just to get out of town. That was the first time I ever got to see Herby Wallace. He was playing with Nat Stuckey at the Caravan.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2001 4:38 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:28 PM.]

MALCOLM KIRBY

Crofton, KY USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2001 12:29 pm    

Ben mentioned Nestor Eaton in his post. I picked with Nestor at Clarksvegas in Clarksville,TN around 1990. Good singer and guitar player. Where is he now?

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2001 4:52 pm    

Thanks Jim Bob.

I've heard quite a few stories about Wayne here and there on the Forum, especially from John Paul and even a fellow off the forum named Don Holiman who used to play bass for Kenny Vernon at one stage.

What happened to Wayne?

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2001 4:54 pm    

By what happened, i understand that he passed away, but does anyone know what year, what he was doing in the final years, etc?

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2001 7:24 pm    

Jason, don't know much other than he passed away, once again it was from one mouth to another then to my good ear. I sure hope he don't read his own obituaries.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2001 3:04 pm    

Hi Roger...
I was stationed at Ft Carson Colorado in spring of 1971. I used to go to the Navahoe Hogan in the Springs on weekends to hear Wayne when he played with Kenny Vernon.
One of our forumites told me he had passed away several yrs ago. I think he said cancer.
Yes, he was a super steel player and modest.
I have a couple of 45s of Kenny Vernon and LuWanda Lindsey. Anyone know where the session work was done and who played on it?
Dennis

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2001 6:57 pm    

Dennis, funny you should say Lawanda Lindsey, thats one person I played with at the Post, she married Bill Smith Jr.(Dad,owner). Her sessions were mostly done in California, she was closely guarded by Buck. As soon as she married him, she dropped out of site.
I'm working with Lefty this weekend in Waterloo.

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2001 6:59 pm    

Dennis, at that same time, how about the Cow Palace(Jack Jackson) at the Colo. Springs?

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 8:32 am    

Wayne had the fastest thumb in the west,great player and missed.I guess all you guys remember Jay Duga the cragy cajun that played the afternoon shift when the good sandwhiches were served at the north end of the dance floor,Caravan East,what a neat place.
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 12:00 pm    

Roger...
I never went to the Cow Palace. Sounds familiar? Was it a house of ill repute with hefty ladies?
Only other band I followed was Norm Tester and the Western Wheels. George Ramsey played steel and lead. He used to pick me up on post and take me to out of town gigs. They also played the army post clubs.
You going to the convention?
Dennis

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 5:48 pm    

Dennis, I'll be there hope to see you. Bring Mark and Kurt and Curtis with you.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2001 6:42 pm    

Wayne did not die of cancer. He choked to death on his own vomit. He was working with Kenny Vernon at the time. As I recall he passed away in the late 70's. I got word of his passing one saturday night at Jack Jackson's Cow Palace on Cimmaron Street,
in Colo Spgs from Gary Nall, a steel player in the band The Kords from Albq, NM. Wayne was a dear friend of mine and I woke him up early after a late night many days to go show me a thing or two on his rig. I used to sit in on his fender 1000 once in a while at the Hogan. He had added knee levers to it with no stops. He did not need any. He had also made the E9th an 11 string and used an E6th on the back neck. He was indeed quicker than greased lightening and could play anyone's style to perfection as well as his own. Wayne was a great player, wonderful person and I miss his beautiful smiling face and the way he loved the steel guitar.

George

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2001 7:10 pm    

Hi George...
I think it was you that I talked to several months ago about musicians in the Springs area. We talked about Wayne and it is my mistake that I thought it was cancer that took Wayne. I've lost so many musician friends and acquantances recently that I can't keep the circumstances straight. Getting older shortens our time and confuses the facts.
I got a letter from George Ramsey about a year ago and he seems to be doing ok? He had bypass surgery not too long ago. I hope he is still doing well.
The highlight of my 2 months in Colorado was listening to George and Wayne.
Dennis

Neil Flanz

Austin, Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2001 5:56 pm    

Hi Roger,
I first became familiar with Wayne's playing on an old Rose Maddox recording of Footprints in the Snow.It was outstanding! I later had the privilege of meeting him and listening to him play when I was playing the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas with either Charlie Louvin or Claude Gray back in 1958. he was a great and very creative player.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2001 6:11 pm    

Hey ! all this talk about Colo Sprgs bring back plenty of memories. I played there from 1958 til 1965 with a couple of those years spent in No Hollywood.At Carson we played Golden Boot, Doghouse and the officers club. Up town there was the Hogan, Star club, WigWam, Caravan, Wagon Wheel,Old Corral, Silver Spur,in Manitou there was Pioneer,The Keg and Fireside Lounge.In Fountain was the Roundup an a nice big club owned by Ed Freeman...can't remember the name.I played with Biford Gordon, Larry Morgan, Whit Taylor, Billy Reel Lars Madsen,T.J. , Bob Palmer..you got me to thinkin..boy were those good days. fred

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2001 6:40 pm    

I have enjoyed our post of Wayne. I believe this forum is informative and brings us all closer to our profession. Wayne will be remembered by you as I remember him as a first class player. God speed Wayne.
bOb please close this thread if you would please.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2001 8:37 pm    

Did any of you guys know Norm Forrest?
He used to lead a few bar bands in soCal, Jay Dee Maness worked with him for a stint in around 1967, but he later moved to the Sundown Lounge in Manitou Springs, Colorado working as Norm Forrest and the Main Branch.
I'd love to know what happened to that guy.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2001 11:34 am    

Jason,
I don't know Norm but you mentioned the Sundown which jarred the brain a little....my brother in law played drums there working for Shorty Bacon. Course Shorty has passed on but he had a brother in the Springs and I think he is still alive..I do know he was quite ill 4-5 years ago.
fred