Reply to topic
Author Topic:  wives & psg
Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 8:25 am    

mine doesnt like mine...

wayne

------------------
Emmons Legrande d-10 w/8&5 Nashville 400, peavey ultraverb II.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 8:33 am    

My wife has always liked mine. When I was playing it "full time" it fed us.....and when I did it "weekends" it was a hobby that always paid it's own way and then some!

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 8:37 am    

do you play the ok opry???

wayne

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 8:46 am    

Your PSG doesn't like your wife?

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 8:47 am    

I don't have a problem. My wife is also a musician (Sings, picks guitar and bass). She is with me 100% on whatever I do musically.

I've seen too many musicians that had marriages break up over music. If you're going to be a musician you have to have a mate that is supportive.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 8:52 am    

i spent alot of time away playing the first five years. i didnt have the right answer to the equation. i want to play again, but i dont want it to bother my wife.

wayne

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 9:01 am    

My wife is also my greatest friend and FAN! When I feel I am in a rut she always has words of encouragement. She sings on the Opry show I play as well as the Friday night restaurant job I play. We never have to discuss whether or not I should buy a certain piece of equipment. She supports my music at all times.
Jerry

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 9:17 am    

I've gone through two wives (so far) in my playing career. The wives are gone...the steel is still with me. Always will be.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 9:30 am    

Not only is my wife totally supportive, she also - since my abdominal surgery in April - has to carry my LeGrande III D10 out to the car when I go to work!!!! (Wait a minute - maybe she's just trying to get it out of the house....:confused)

She'll be there at St Louis with me, and even tolerates model train shows when they come around - I'm pretty fortunate....

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 9:31 am    

Guess whose 'smilies' don't work on his computer.....

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 9:46 am    

You just left off the trailing : after :confused

See?

------------------

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 9:47 am    

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 9:49 am    

This IS fun, but I should be practising....

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 9:59 am    

Let's practice smilies, then!

------------------

Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 10:01 am    

It is good to hear stories of supportive wives- keep them coming. My own experience was not like that. She seemed supportive at first, and then jealousy over my passion for the instrument soon came in. I quit playing for 8 years, and reduced my steel design and prototyping to just about zero. I thought it would help, but it didn't. I don't like it that I just got divorced, But my love of the steel is still here, strong as ever and helping me keep going. It is good to know there are some really supportive wives out there who can deal with the power of music in a man's life (or vice versa, etc.)
T. Sage Harmos

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 10:06 am    

Some wives are good.

Some wives are not so good.

Some wives are supportive.

Some wives aren't supportive.

Just like men that could fit all the above.

When it comes to mine, the best way to describe her is to paraphrase what Jesus once said about heaven.

"I go to prepare a place for you. For in my Father's house, there are many mansions."

Well, I can only imagine what the mansion will be like that he HE has prepared for her. It must be awesome and incredible. No doubt it will defy man's logic!

The second greatest gift God ever gave me was my wife. If there was EVER a perfect woman on this earth, she would have to be it.

Come August 25th, less than two weeks away, she will have been my wife for 50 yrs!

Every guitar OR anything else I have ever wanted since I put a ring on her finger, SHE, has talked me into getting (or doing). It just doesn't get any better than that.

Praise God for her. The dearest, most precious person I have EVER known.

carl

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 10:25 am    

My wife has never cared for my music,regardless to what instrument I am playing.We have been sometime's,,,,,,happyly marriged for 34 year's.I do my thing and she does her's and somewhere in between we meet in the middle.I have spent buuu==cuttles of money on differant instruments and all the little toys that go with them.I have my own little house out back filled with my steel,piano,fiddle and flat top,steel toy's,stereo,vidio tv,four shelves filled with tab for steel, good hardcore country music,along with my teach tapes,and teach vidio's.I play ,Friday and Saturday night and my wife has never been with me.She has never stood in my way.She has told me that she know's that music is apart of my life,and has always wish me well.It may sound strange but she's happy and I'm happy and we are now working on 35 years of marriage.OK to you that are wondering,she sometime liston to what I call elevater music while driveing her car.Even then it is turn down very very low

------------------
BJ Bailey

P Perry

Lebanon, OH, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 10:37 am    

My wife (Gail) could not be more supportive. She never misses a show, never mises a rehearsal. She sets up my guitar while I set up other equipment and does as good a job as I could. She is supportive of anything to do with my/our music she never complains about the cost or the time. She is one of the greatest blessings in my life.

------------------
Phil Perry

[This message was edited by P Perry on 14 August 2001 at 11:40 AM.]

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 11:58 am    

After the 3rd ex, affectionately known as 'The Great White Bitch', who on the morning she left was screaming in the driveway..."you've got a crummy car and a crummy job and crummy boots and crummy clothes, and you spend all of your money on music"...this was just before she threw a knife at me, which made for a humorous moment in court when that anecdote was retold.

When I met my current, she mentioned that she thought I should spend more time practising and writing music, that was ten years ago.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 12:07 pm    

Musicians wives and military wives share a common role, in that their husbands occupation requires that they be absent much of the time. The wives function much as a single parent, making sure that the children receive enough love and attention, are disciplined when necessary, get to their doctor and dental appointments, represent the family at school functions, buy the left-over candy and cookies from fund-raisers, remember family birthdays and other special occasions and sign their husbands name to the cards to make it appear that he also remembered. She makes sure that the dry-cleaning is taken and picked up and that shirts are laundered. She doesn't often see him wear any of those things, but she knows that her husband must "look his best" when he is out there somewhere making a living.

When the husband is home, the wife keeps the children quiet or takes them to play at the park so daddy can sleep and rest until he leaves again. And on those rare occasions when the husband is home on a Sunday, she makes sure that he gets out of bed and goes to church with the family, not only for the children, but so that he is reminded not to drift too far away from the most important things in life.

She does all of those things while praising her husband for accomplishments that no one else recognizes, and she seldom complains when she feels lonely and isolated and isn't told often enough that she is loved and appreciated.

At various times during our marriage my wife has been both, a musicians wife and a military wife, and I can never repay the indebtedness that I owe her for always being there........when I wasn't.

She has been the cornerstone of my life and if she can put up with me a few more months we will celebrate our "50th Wedding Anniversary".

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 14 August 2001 at 04:06 PM.]

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 16 August 2001 at 04:14 AM.]

randy

shelbyville, illinois, usa
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 12:41 pm    

My wife, bless her heart, says she would love to have a passion for something the way I do my music.

She tells folks she almost feels my thrill when she sees the look on my face while I'm taking a ride. She's not a big country music lover but she never misses my shows.

I got interrupted...and I love her more than anything.

[This message was edited by randy on 14 August 2001 at 01:47 PM.]

Allen

Littleton, CO USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 1:09 pm    

I can only echo what Gene Jones stated. My only exception is with the kids, mine were all grown and out when my present wife and I married 20 years ago.
As for the music, she is the real musician, also a composer (piano, jazz & classical). As for supporting me, only 110%. The only thing she ever said was when I broght my first psg home "You couldn't have picked a more difficult instrument to start on". But since I am new to music and she isn't, she has been my best mentor. Bless her!!

------------------
Allen Harry
Mullen D-10, 8 & 6
Nashville 1000

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 1:18 pm    

Cari and I have been together for just over 25 years now. For about 12 years of that time, she was the lead singer in our band "Savannah".
Her folks were on broadway as singers and she got a double dose of vocal talent from them. She grew up thinking that everone could hear and sing any one of 5 different harmony parts!
In fact, she can tell if I used my 74 PP Emmons or my S-12 Sierra on a session!
When I recently told her that I was sending my Emmons to Mike Cass for a complete restoration all she said was "about time!"
We met on stage at the Palamino Club in North Hollywood Ca. on June 28th 1976 and have been together ever since.
First 25 years were ok, so I'm gonna stick around to see how the second 25 go!
Thanks for being there for me honey!
JE:-)>

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 1:19 pm    

Im lucky I guess. My wife supports me in just about anything I do and shes actually tickled that I took up the steel. Hope she never runs out of hormones and realizes how much money Im spending. (insert big east texas grin here in lieu of the smiley face)

Rick

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 2:19 pm    

My wife, Mildred, has been supportive of my musical activities for the 39 years of our marriage, and always encourages me when I want a new "toy".
She will be with me at the ISGC.
Blake

[This message was edited by Blake Hawkins on 14 August 2001 at 03:22 PM.]