The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hal Rugg's "Finally"
Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 8:23 am    

I know it must be a very tough time for Hal right now. I hope this post will help him feel a little better. I have been putting off doing this review and I think now is the time to do it.

It is hard to believe that any player would not have this CD by now, but if you don't you owe it to yourself to get it. ( http://www.halrugg.com/ ) I bought my copy at the George Edwards Benefit.

Hal re-recorded "I Love You Because" on the CD. You may recall he recorded that tune on his "Altered Ego" album around 1978. IMO, Hal has the best rendition of that tune.

Hal is one of those top pros that has a way of taking a tune done before by other players, refining it, and making it his own by doing it better.

The entire CD is wonderful and the tunes "Relaxin'", "Watch What Happens," and "C-Jam Blues" knock me OUT! Wow! No one does those better.

In fact, while I was preparing for some Microsoft certification tests earlier this year, I had Hal's "Relaxin'" going in my head. As some of you know, music can aid in one's memory and study. So Hal, thanks for helping pass those tests! Lately, I have been playing this CD a lot.

Hal's "Sewanee River" and "Deep Water" are very cool too. Add Hal's perfect delivery of the tunes: "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain," "Release Me," "We Could," and the gospel tune, "In the Garden," and you only *thought* you could play a country tune the "right way!" The CD is a clinic on how to play country, cool jazz, and swing.

Hal *almost* persuades me to get Zum!

Jenee Keener did a fabulous job on fiddle. Hal wanted to use Gregg Galbraith on guitar, but Gregg had some other sessions scheduled. It is my understanding that Gregg has teamed up with Hal in St. Louis many times. Anyway, Andy Reiss did a superb job in Gregg's place.

It would have been cool if Hal could have used Roy Rosetta on piano, since Roy does all those steel shows, but Bobby Ogdin was superb.

It is safe to say that nearly all steel players who have to play any country steel at all have some "Hal Rugg licks" in their bag; that is, if they want to do it right!

Hal's ability to sight read music has opened opportunities for him that many players simply could not get. He has been known as one of the most heard and least seen players of our time doing all those TV shows, etc.

Hal, with all your accomplishments, it is understandable if this little tribute does not mean as much. I just want to say that from a player who will most likely never be very well known, you sure have had a big impact on me and done your part to make me pretty good player within my own sphere of influence. I am sure there are hundreds of other players who would say the same about your impact.

Salute and thank you!

Sincerely,

Frank

(Want a video of Hal Rugg: Order the Hal Rugg and Herby Wallace Video from HWP: http://www.herbywallace.com/pages/hwrugg.html This is a must have for you Hal and Herby fans!)

------------------
1978 Rosewood Emmons Push-Pull D-10 8+4

[This message was edited by Frank Estes on 14 August 2001 at 09:30 AM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 8:46 am    

It was always great when one of our girl singers wanted to do a "Loretta" song as it gave me an opportunity to play some of the licks that had I copied from Hal. I never had the pleasure of getting to know Vicky but I have been a "fan" of Hals since the "Wilburn Brothers" days on TV. He always did his classic Loretta backup, but when he did his instrumental he usually really cooked over on the C6 side.

Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 12:33 pm    

I bought this album last year when Hal was over here for the "British Steel Festival" along with the "Slidin'for Scale" album, they are both superb, and this year I bought the video from Herby when he was here, absolutely brilliant.
Dave.

Gary Harris

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 2:35 pm    

Several years ago Hal played a specially strung steel guitar on the Opry. This guitar had double strings much like a mandolin. I saw him a few years later at a session where I was a guest "looker" and we briefly talked about this unusual sound. I believe the song was, "Jeanie With The Light Brown Hair". A beautiful rendition of a wonderful old song. Sadly, steel guitar solos on the Opry are a thing of the past.

erik

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 3:12 pm    

I have this CD and really enjoy it. I also have a autographed picture. Thanks Mr. Rugg!

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 6:30 am    

Hal is now selling the sound tracks on CD from his "Finally" and "Sliding For Scale" recordings. The price is $14.50 which includes shipping. Get the address from his Web Site.