The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Week With Reece
Larry Cohen

Oshkosh, WI, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 6:31 pm    

How many of you guys have ever dreamed of having the opportunity to sit with a steel guitar legend for an entire week and learn? I'm not speaking about hot licks or tab or "can you write out what that guys doing on that record?" My guess is many of you have entertained the idea, but some reason or another you never have gotten around to it. Well, I'm here to admitt I was one of those guys, until I finally picked up the phone and called Maurice Anderson in Texas and said "I want to learn from the best for 1 week, 8 hours a day." If I told you it was a life changing experience, would you believe me? If I said, "it has completely changed the way I practice"...would you believe that? Well both are true and more...To sit with Maurice for a week was an incredible experience. I learned so much it's almost impossible to spell it all out here. And I learned it in a way that made logical sense so that I will never look at a steel guitar in the same way again. Maurice was patient, logical in his methods, an excellent listener and a fantastic teacher. Now, I can bold fantastic and capitalize it and it still wouldn't do the word justice. So listen guys, if you want to learn how to approach the steel correctly, and get out of the rut you've been in for who knows how many years, then you owe it to yourself to give Maurice a call. You'll love being in their home. They have the sweetest dog I've ever met. His 81 year old mom will make you sandwiches and I always save the best for last; Once you've tasted Teresa's (his wife) home made milk shakes,(every day) you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.

------------------

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 7:13 pm    

Larry this sounds like a dream come true. RA is a great player and teacher, and did I tell you how much he loves our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus? It does not take long to find this out, he walks the walk and talks the talk. Thanks RA we need you here with us.

Larry Behm

Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 3:38 am    

Some guys get all the breaks!!

You are a very fortunate

Rick

------------------
Rick Johnson

Peewee Charles

Waterloo,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 4:58 am    

Hi Larry,
In 1971-72 at the age of 19, I gave Reece a call & asked if would be interested in teaching me. He said yes, & off I drove to Texas from Ontario, Canada, got an apartment in Garland & can say had some of the best experiences of my life, learning from Reece. He truly is a master of the steel guitar & a very knowledgeable, kind, caring, super person. I attribute a lot of my future success to Reece. When I returned from Texas after 7 months, I was offered the gig with The Great Speckled Bird on the syndicated Ian Tyson Show, having the opportunity of backing many of the Nashville artists that appeared weekly, am I glad I gained the experience from Reece! After 4 years on the TV Show, I was asked to join Gordon Lightfoot & toured with him for 14 years & recorded with many other Canadian artists. I can thank Reece for giving me the tools & knowledge I needed to achieve my personal goals!! He's a great guy & I can't thank him enough!! I'm glad you had a great week! I wish you all the best!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 5:45 am    

Congratulations Larry!

I've intended to go and study with Reece for sometime. It seems as though things have gotten in the way, but hopefully I'll make it before long.

As a professional educator myself, I recognize that Maurice "Reece" Anderson is an excellent teacher, and he is also an excellent player. One of the top ten steel players of all times. That's why I and hundreds of others do not understand why he and Julian Tharpe have neither ever been included in The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.

Yes, yes to studying with Reece. Anyone out there who is seriously considering learning from a true Master of this instrument, needs to contact Reece and head out for the wonderful state of Texas.

I listen to Reece's Contemporary Gospel cassette titled "Universal Direction," all the time. Bob sells these here on the Steel Guitar Forum. Why not purchase one and bless yourself.

Thanks for sharing Larry.

GOD bless you.

Terry J. Wood
Heavenly Math
3 Nails + 1 Cross = 4 Given

Larry Cohen

Oshkosh, WI, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 6:49 am    

Hey Peewee:

I know, all I kept thinking is how do I get my wife to move here with me? Or can I really vanish for 7 months in Texas? If you have the love for the steel like many of us do, it actually seems like the logical thing to do. Being close and learning from Reece on a consistant basis. I can only guess what an excellent player you must be.

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 9:53 am    

I give thanks each day for the many blessings GOD has bestowed upon me. One of those blessings is the privilege and pleasure of sharing music with others who are positive thinkers, enthusiastic and dedicated.

It's impossible for me to convey the feeling that comes over me when I see someone take their first musical step to true musical understanding and knowledge. It's also impossible for me to convey the feeling that comes over me when I see someone, who for the first time, "really gets the picture" of everything it takes to be musically successful.

I have never jumped out of a plane and I have never done a bungy jump, but I would liken those experiences to the feeling that comes over me when teaching.

So to each and everyone one of you who have provided me those thrills which will last my entire lifetime, may I say thank you from the bottom of my heart for contributing to my many blessings.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 11:24 am    

What is the price for a week?... I know Jeff Newman charges $2000.00 for a week. I am just curious. Pete

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 12:07 pm    

I had a 4-hr lesson from Reece. Wish I could've spent more time.

I believe the cost was $150, which would translate to $300 a day, or $1500 a week.

But that was late last year, and my memory isn't perfectly clear on it, and Reece may have changed his prices, too.

It's well worth the money. I'm just not sure I could take a whole week's worth at once -- my brain would probably explode!

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 12:37 pm    

Forget about lessons what would it cost for a week of home made milk shakes? Sounds like you had a great time.

Kurt Kowalski

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 1:45 pm    

I also have had the pleasure of spending time to learn from Reece.

I totaly concur with all that has been stated above and also noted that Reece has a way of "Getting it through to you" and an approach to thinking at the steel that is awesome.
The information and knowledge shared by Reece with me is worth 100 times more than I had paid.
Plus as an added bonus I got to see Reece play the Christmas show for Johnny Hye. A wonderful show.
I would highly recommend studying with Reece if you can swing it, you won't regret it.

My hat is off to my friend Reece Anderson.
Sincerely,
Kurt Kowalski

[This message was edited by Kurt Kowalski on 10 August 2001 at 02:48 PM.]

Larry Cohen

Oshkosh, WI, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 2:22 pm    

Everything said here is true. No matter what I invested in dolllars the experience was worth way more than you could put a dollar figure on. Yes, Reece has a way of getting it in your head. That's why my brain didn't explode. I also think Teresa puts something special in those milk shakes, that seem to show up just when you think you might hit a mental block. Then there is FeeYete (sp) who will come along and just want to play. She is the sweetest dog. So there are distractions that allow your brain to stay on course. For me, it was such a special time. I will never forget it.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 4:48 pm    

Yes, I also have to give credit where due,Maurice pointed me in the great chord direction when we were putting the MSA co.together,and I have him to thank for useing three finger picks( which I also use on E 9th).Iv'e been exposed to almost every great player in the world and he may not be the fastest or most hardcore commercial, but, "look out on knowledge," chords,Great jazz,great tunes etc.! In my opinion,he is second to no one,on these points. I'll thank him here and now,even though it(he)has lost me a lot of "country" jobs in the past!
Just kidding Big "M",I didn't need the money anyway,I hate to eat!
Bobbe

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 1:23 am    

For informational purposes, the going rate here in Seattle for a first class jazz teacher for an intensive class would be somewhere around $4k a week. I've never taken from Reece, but his playing and references are impecable....

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 6:31 am    

I've always had great respect for Reece and his music. He is a great musician, but most of all he is a greater person.

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 7:22 am    

I never had intentions of putting anything on this forum. I feel it belongs to all who devote so much time and effort to steel guitar.

Reece is downstairs teaching this morning and I was just reading all the wonderful things said by each of you. I can attest to his statement that he is truly blessed in his teaching, because he loves doing it and enjoys being with those who come here.

I want each and everyone of you to know you are always welcome at our home at any time. You don't have to take a lesson to get a milkshake. Milkshakes guaranteed.

I know Reece will be very surprised to see I have posted. Thank you all for your wonderful and kind words. After 22 years of marriage, he is still my hero. In sincere appreciation to all.

Teresa

P.S. Our Poodle puppy FiEtte would also love to meet all of you. Puppy licks are waiting.

Ts McDonald

Arlington, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 8:43 am    

Dear "T", "Dittoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ts

[This message was edited by TS MCDONALD on 11 August 2001 at 09:45 AM.]

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 10:31 am    

To anyone who, like me, can't make the trip to Texas at present but would like to learn from Reece, let me comment on his mail-order instructional material.

I have everything that he currently offers,except some of the SmarTab, and I think that what he teaches is primarily a way of viewing the instrument conceptually. I can't imagine a more efficient way to lay a foundation of understanding that allows a player to develop their own style as soon as possible, as well as make constructive use of anything he/she may learn from outside sources. You could spend hundreds of dollars on other methods, that would teach you plenty of great licks and songs, while neglecting to lay an efficient and complete conceptual foundation.

He also has a great way of teaching about physical positioning relative to the guitar, and offers necessary maintenance tips on the video.

Unfortunately, the milkshakes don't yet come in powdered form that could be mailed in packets, although the video includes an appearance by a poodle, who I am guessing was FiEtte's predecessor.

[This message was edited by Jeff A. Smith on 11 August 2001 at 11:34 AM.]

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 10:36 am    

Dear Teresa,

Gary P and I were wondering where our shakes were last week?

Now I am on a diet so Gary will have to have two of them!!!

Regards,

Mark T.

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 10:46 am    

Reece, I had the pleasure of setting in with you at the state fair of Texas. I was at the Coke stage and you were at the Chevy stage when our show was over I would go over and listen to you. You had some great players on that job with you. I played about 1 set and our steel player was so impressed with you(Bruce Brooks). You made our week there at the fair.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 11:53 am    

I must put my two cent's in on this one,
I too have spent time with Maurice and Teresa it is the high light of every year that I go to the Dallas Show. I have known Maurice for 32 years now, He put the first set of pick's on me (3) and I owe everthing I know about playing steel to him.He has been MY HERO on steel from the very first time I heard him play.Every March when I stay with him I learn more and I kmow it will be that way till I can't play anymore.O by the way he is one of the luckyestest guys I know to have a wife like Teresa,good looking, sings like a bird and is as great of person as Maurice !!! I belive there the pervect match...............
NOW Teresa, when did the milk shakes come in to play??? I have never known you to do that... When dinner time comes while I'm there we eat really good,(we always go out)
In closing never wonder if you will get anything out of your stay with Maurice you will learn more than you have in you life, So go to the ligh he is waiting.............

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 6:20 pm    

I, too, have had the wonderful opportunity to be the guest of my good friends Reece and Teresa Anderson and study this magical instrument with Reece. All I can say is wowowowowowow! It will be easily 6 months of study to apply what I was exposed to for 3 days. All I have to say, once again, is THANKS!!!

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2001 12:11 am    

Maurice and Teresa Anderson. Truly a class act. Jody.

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2001 1:10 am    

LORDY, LORDY! I wish I could even afford his mail-order stuff!!!

------------------
"LET'S GO STEEL SOMETHING" If it feels good, DO IT, if it feels "COUNTRY", do it TWICE
JPP

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2001 7:54 am    

Well I wish I could have replied earlier but I guess it saved me a lot of typing cause now I can just say I agree with all the above!!!! As I've said here before, Reece has never charged what his lessons are worth if your really wanting to learn to play.

Now Teresa, it looks like me and David have been missing out on some milkshakes. I'm gonna have to count up how many times I've been there and see just how many I have missed!! I guess I could subtract some for the great chicken, baked onion (my first), egg pie (I think you call it Kesh) also my first, and great singing. Even with all those things considered you still owe me some milkshakes!!

Yall take care and God Bless
Sidney