The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Player on Steel Guitar Favorites LP?
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 10:25 pm    

I have an unnamed LP of a pedal steel player who is great and I have always wanted to know who it was. I think I bought it back in the late 70s or early 80s. The record label is Oscar Records in Burbank CA. Anyone with info on this will be appreciated. Thanks Duane Becker

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 11:01 am    

haven't listened to it, but i think Oscar is one of the many budget labels that Red Rhodes appeared on.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2001 2:56 pm    

...and he had an LP out with that title on Alshire records in l979. I think this has been discussed here recently...a search of Red Rhodes music might turn up the song titles on the album for you to compare. Also, I have the album and can compare titles if you want. Is one of the cuts Charlton's "Almost to Tulsa"?

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 10 August 2001 at 04:09 PM.]

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 1:32 pm    

Thanks for the reply guys. Red Rhodes?? I have several albums by him, but the recording from Oscar Records to me, doesn't sound like Reds playing. The Oscar recording sounds Nashville style all the way. E9 and C6. Any way the song titles are.
Almost to Tulsa
Reds Ride
Palomino Rag
Danas Tune
OJ's Bounce
Making friends with the blues
Pixie Steel Guitar
Rene'
Woodsheddin
Tormented
Some of these songs I know that Red did play, anyway I'm beginning to believe that it is Red Rhodes on this record. Thanks Again Duane Becker

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 3:38 pm    

Hey Duane, it's definitely Red. Same album title....same list of songs as you posted in that exact order. All the same as the Alshire disc.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2001 5:22 pm    

I don't have the Alshire set, but most of those tracks, if not all: appear on his earlier albums on Crown Records in the 1960s.
The Crown releases where basically an attempt at a Nashville-West Coast easy listening type product, there's some pretty cool stuff there though.

I'm trying to build up a piece of Crown Records, the label's history is somewhat convulted and even the disc numbers are somewhat strange at times.. (two different LPs under the same number, etc..plus they kept reissuing albums as a new release every few years, etc).

I've only got one of the Crown albums, but I love it.. one of the best finds ever.