The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Congrats Ricky Davis and Dale!
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2001 11:35 am    

What else can be said!!!! Thumbs up Ricky!

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2001 7:54 pm    

Ricky told me he would be away from his computer for a few days so I'm sure he will respond to the well deserved "rave review" as soon as he is able.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 05 August 2001 at 08:54 PM.]

Bill Hamner

Hueytown,AL USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2001 10:54 pm    

Hey Ricky,
A fantastic performance. You really stood out in that crowd.I could tell Dale is proud of the group and he should be. You guys sound great and have very good stage presence. Over all that was the best OPRY show I have seen in ages and you guys topped it off.I caught Dale's appearence with Bill Anderson on OPRY BACK STAGE.Good to hear Bill
take a wack at those around there who think Dale and his group is too country.A few more visits by you guys should certainly do at lot
to get Nashville back on track. TNN & CMT needs to hear some feedback. I am sure there are many more folks than us forum members who would love to see and hear more from Your group and others who play the music you play. Of course you guys are going to be a hard act to follow. We need to keep the cards and letters rolling in. Anyone here willing to write a letter to the Nashville paper? We can continue to sit back and complain to each other about the situation and nothing is going to change. Come on Bobbe and some of more of you Nashville guys and gals, talk it up locally and give us some ideas on how to get this thing to snowball.
Teresa, If you were the one calling the shots on the cameras....Fantastic choices my
friend!
Bill (I know who Smiley is and I even have
a GOOD picture of him)

[This message was edited by Bill Hamner on 05 August 2001 at 11:57 PM.]

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 3:01 am    

Ditto to what everybody said Ricky. You and Dale (and everybody, for that matter) sounded great. You must have bribed the director AND camera-man (camera-person) to get so much screen time!

I bought the new cd and it's tree-mendous!

oh, and b0b, to answer your question, Ricky is ALL OVER that cd, and plays the heck out of his Sho-Bud.

Bill Sampler

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 10:36 am    

Hey Ricky,

Absolutely Fabulous! What an excellent steel player you are. The white fretboards looked great. I really enjoyed watching you, Dale and the rest of the band. Thanks for showing us newbies how it's done!

Thanks,

------------------
Bill Sampler
Mullen SD12 Universal 7/5

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 11:36 am    

Well I just got home(we played Memphis after Nashville)> and all I can say is> WOW!! what a overwhelming acceptance of what we do; and I haven't even see the show yet; my stupid VCR didn't work...ha . You guys have some of the nicest words for this very hard working band trying to play country music. It is so very hard to do what we do>take for instance> there was just 20 people show up for our gig in Memphis; right after we played the Opry>"go figure".
So to come home and here such great words and reviews of what we did on the Opry; makes us tired guys continue on. I have givin this thread to Dale to read and tears came to his eyes; it means so much to him that there are super great folks like ya'll out there that just dig him and the band. Dale is very proud of this band and we are all very close brothers; and there is many things out there to break the family up; but great responces like this, really keep the fire burning and Dale and I love everyone of you for it and keep your fingers crossed cause we are giving it a good whirl this time and the folks at Audium records are doing a bang up job at trying to put out what does not really want to be heard by the massive public.
Thanks everyone of you for the nice words about me and my bud on stage at the grand ole opry. It was a blast and I absolutely was not nervous. Me and Tommy White stood back and gabbed alot between shows and Johnny Cox is a true gentleman and Bob Kemper was amazing eventhough they did'nt toss him a solo on the song they did on tv; but you should of heard him on the other segement Roy Clark did> Bob played one of the most beautiful solos I've heard. Stu was there with Mandy and played a awesome solo on C6th just to die for. Another Connie Smith segement; Johnny Cox just ripped through "I'll come Runnin'" and Tommy White pulled a chair up right next to the man while he played his steel> what a cool thing to do.
Speaking of Tommy White........"Oh my Gosh"....I love this man....this is truely a master of the Steel Guitar...He is one of my personal favorites along with Lloyd Green and Weldon Myrick......oh and speaking of Weldon....I did the Midnight Jamboree with him and I have never met him and finally got to meet him and tell him just what he means to me and why I play the steel guitar....what a truely nice gentleman. And when he came up and complimented me on my playing; I just about passed out I was so blown over by just standing there talking to "the great one".....
Tommy White....thanks for your true brother ship; and you know what I'm talking about.
And thanks to all my steel playing brothers and sisters here on the forum and else where...."you make it all worth while".
Love ya.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 06 August 2001 at 12:40 PM.]

Steve Pacholl

Minneapolis
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 3:48 pm    

I am still on a natural high from my trip to Nashville to hang out with Dale, Ricky and the boys. It was a real treat for me to tag a long and photograph the whole weekend at the Opry. I got some great shots. I have to second what Ricky said about the response the boys got at the Opry. I could feel the energy of people getting excited about Dale's segement of the show. I think Audium is really getting behind Dale and the Lonestars. After what I witnessed this weekend, the time has come for Dale to finally break through to the next level. There was genuine excitement wherever Dale went this past weekend (inteviews, performances). I can't thank Dale, Ricky, Donnie, Scott and Rob enough for letting me be a part of their Opry weekend.

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 12:39 am    

Hi Ricky, congrats with all the succes!
You and Dale deserve it!
Say hi to him from me, will ya?
Come over here, we all miss ya!!
regards, Johan

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 4:49 am    

Quote:
After what I witnessed this weekend, the time has come for Dale to finally break through to the next level.

Pete Fisher, Sign this Watson on the Opry along with another one.

Dale would make a great Addition to the Opry.

------------------
John

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 08 August 2001 at 05:50 AM.]

John O Keeffe

Co Waterford Ireland
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 2:12 pm    

Just got back from being away for a few days!

Way to go Y'all.......just wish I could have seen it............JOHN

Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 4:29 am    

Thanks Ricky for the prompt newsletter in our group...proud of you. Stay in touch will see you here in Vegas for sure when you come. Your buddy in Sin City Bill in Vegas

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 6:56 am    

Ricky, I caught your performance on the Midnight Jamboree Saturday night on the way home from a little gig. So, I hate that I missed the TV portion, but I must say "WOW" regarding your performance and Dale's voice.

He sort of reminds me of the Hag of previous years.

The execution of your harmonics were crystal clear and flawless.

The C6 stuff was creative and the I thought I heard some open string, bar hammer ons and pull-offs during the C6 solo.

Your performance is no surprise to those who have seen the Web video of you doing some licks.

Hats off to ya'!

------------------
1978 Rosewood Emmons Push-Pull D-10 8+4

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 10:10 am    

Hey Thanks Frank for the nice words; and I'm trying to find online the Midnight Jamboree show archive(no luck); cause I wanted to hear that show. Yeah on the swing number we did(original song Dale Wrote); I did do quite alot of Hammer-ons and offs and open string harmony stuff. I am always looking for open string drowning notes as I think they add a nice character to the playing.
Thanks for noticing; and that was the most special night for me at the Earnest Tubb theater; as I got to meet Weldon Myrick.......Wow I'm speachless and my dreams have come true.
Ricky

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 8:51 pm    

Ricky,
I loved your playing on the Opry.
What a refreshing change. Your tone and touch was superb.What a great steel guitar performance. I recieved a call from Lloyd Green soon after the show, lamenting on your wonderful tone and playing.Keep up the great work, you have my blessing always.
Your friend,
Tommy White

Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 8:54 pm    

Rick
Super good job!!! I taped it to show my buddies when they come over. Made 4 more CD sales for you guys. Took the tape to my local record store. The owner is a young fellow and likes the NEW country stuff, but was amazed at the Texas Swing style and placed orders. I sure hope you are playing steel on it.
Joe Delaronde

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2001 11:00 pm    

Hey Joe; I played steel on every Dale Watson CD since 1997; and thanks a ton for turning them folks on to what we do.
Tommy.......I hit the floor when you just said what Lloyd said. That just makes all my dreams come true that You(Tommy White) and Lloyd Green and Weldon Myrick(my 3 all time favorite ever, steel players!!!!)have such nice words for me.
Thank you soooooooo much and I just can't express how much you 3 mean to me and my playing...there is not a night that goes by that I don't think about ya'll when I play steel......."I wonder what Tommy or Lloyd or Weldon; would play here and I am not kidding.....I think that way when I play......Ya'll are it for me man.
Ricky