The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Doug Jernigan and Both Necks
bob grossman

Visalia CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2001 3:20 pm    

I don't know the name of the song Doug plays on both necks, but some of you will. Has it been tabbed out by him or anyone?

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2001 3:36 pm    

"Bonnie Marie" I believe it is. A beautiful song played beautifully on both necks.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2001 4:28 pm    

No, Doug has not tabbed it out yet. I keep askin' him to, but... perhaps if there's a groundswell of interest in buying the tab, he might do it? Sign up below!

bob grossman

Visalia CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 7:39 am    

Several years ago, I asked Doug to tab his "Doug's Blues" and somewhat later "Summertime". I sent him a tape copied from a video taken at a Tom Bradshaw clambake in Walnut Creek. I sent Doug what I though was a reasonable amount of $ and enough for postage. He complied on both counts along with a very nice commentary. He's a good dude.

Possibly he would do "Bonnie Marie" if there is enough interest. Worth a try.

Tim Hurst

Newport, TN
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 6:45 pm    

And while we're at it, maybe we could get him to tab "Streets of Laredo" with all that great counterpoint, too

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 7:21 pm    

I believe he did tab that, or someone else tabbed it for him. I think I bought it a long time ago but gave up trying to learn it.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 11:38 pm    

I bought the tab for "Streets of Laredo" and "Diggin' Doug" with the tracks on a 45 record around 1982 out of Bobbe Seymor's shop.I worked it up(more or less)after about 6 months of shedding - never had the balls to try it on a gig,so I promptly forgot it.About every year or two,I shed on it some more and then forget it again...I love all the contrary motion and extreme technique in his arrangement.Folks,if you want an exercise in futility,if you want to find out how lame you really are...try it yourself.
I finally met Doug at Scotty's one year and asked him if he had ever tabbed out "Jesu,Joy of Man's Desiring" by J.S.Bach which he played on one of his records(on C6).He gave me his address and told me to write him and remind him and he would send it to me. I did and in about a week,I recieved a HANDWRITTEN(in ink w/no corrections)5 or 6 page tab of the tune. Thank you Doug - I haven't forgotten that. -MJ-

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 7:05 am    

ANd to show what kind of guy Doug is, he gives Christopher Parkening credit for the arrangement of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring because Parkening transcribed it for classical guitar, which is where I assume that Doug learned it. Still, adapting it from classical guitar to steel is even harder than from keyboard to guitar. I know! I majored in classical guitar in college.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 7:12 am    

Michael Johnstone: Care to share copies of that handwritten tab??

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 10:17 am    

I knew somebody would ask.Actually,I'd feel uncomfortable doing that because I know Doug teaches and may now offer that as one of his teaching products.So to give out copies would sort of betray his gift to me.There was a thread about this sort of thing a few days ago and I certainly don't want to drag that subject up again. And anyhow - 99.9% of the steel players on Earth can go ahead and FORGET about ever learning to play it.....and for the other .01% with spectacular,superhuman chops,well.....maybe Doug will send you the tab like he did me.(oh,and I'm one of the 99.9% by the way) -MJ-

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 10:20 am    

Right, Michael. I had similar thoughts after I posted the inquiry, about abusing the privilege. Thanks just the same.

[This message was edited by Bill Fall on 07 August 2001 at 12:01 PM.]