The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Searching For Hank Corwin
Lee Holeman

San Benito, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 1:02 pm    

Does anyone know where I can contact Hank Corwin. The last I knew was years ago he played steel for Jim Ed Brown.

------------------

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 1:16 pm    

Welcome to the Forum, Lee!

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 2:18 pm    

Hello Lee,Hank and I worked together with Jim Ed from 1970 to 1976.I was the guitar player.Hank lives in Fairview,Tn. and is retired from the music business.His last playing gig was with Porter Wagoner.I forget how many years he played for him. Hank does not use a computer and the last time I talked to him by phone was about a year ago.
He and his wife travel with their dogs.They breed dogs and go to shows.His phone number is 615-799-9070. If you get in touch with him tell him I said hello.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 2:46 pm    

Uh-oh. Now there are two of us.

Lee, from South Texas

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 3:06 am    

3 if you count b0b.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News

billchav

Houston, TX USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 8:48 am    

Welcome to the Forum, Lee. Trivia: Lee paid his dues back in the 50's in the Houston area playing for Floyd Tilman, George Jones, Sonny Burns in the local skull orchards. www.billchaviers.com

David Bradsher

Eden Prairie, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 9:40 am    

Hi Lee -
Didn't you have a club in Pasadena back in the 60's/70's?. If you're the same one then I grew up just a few blocks from where you lived near Hobby Airport.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 10:33 am    

Rick - b0b doesn't live in South Texas.

Lee, from South Texas

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 10:40 am    

Now I'm not saying this was Hank Corwin or not because I can't for the life of me recall who it was..... Weldon Myrick and another steel player were introduced on the Opry by Porter Wagoner. I think the song they played was "Makin' Believe." They brought the house down with a standing ovation. A Steel Moment To Remember !! Weldon stood up to acknowledge the applause and told the other player to stand up. I wish I could recall who it was because he brought the house down again with his reply:
" I am standing up !!"

Regards, Paul

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 11:29 am    

Paul,that would have been Hank because Fred Newell took Hank's place and Fred is a lot taller. Hank used to do that line on the road.

Jim Vogan

Ohio City, Ohio 45874
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 5:12 pm    

Paul,that was Weldon and Hank. I have it on tape around here somewhere. I couldn't believe they were featuring a steel instrumental. I have watched it many times, it was really good! Jim

[This message was edited by Jim Vogan on 02 August 2001 at 06:14 PM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 6:22 pm    

Bobbe is going to kill me for steeling one of his lines but: " Is this a great Forum or What ?? " Now all I've got to learn is how to steel some of his talent.....

Regards, Paul

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 6:06 am    

I am proud to call Hank Corwin my freind. I'd also like to say that Hank is one of, if not the best E9 chord men on E9. I have been after him for some time to do an instructional course on chords for the E9. I have heard him play tunes on E9 that most players would only ever try on C6. It is remarkable what Hank can get from a standard E9 dual 10. As a matter of fact, Hank don't even own a dual 10 anymore because I bought it! He only has his Mullen S-10 that he played while working for Porter Waggoner, on the Opry. It is impressive to watch Hank play typical jazz tunes on that S-10.

Hank and his wife are now both retired. He told me just the other day that he is having some trouble now with his hands and will most likely not play anymore, this is such a loss to the steel guitar community because Hank has given so much to the Country music industry and still has so much to offer. He says that within 30 minutes of playing time, his hands are hurting him.

We have had some great times discussing the music industry, as well as the old days. And may have a couple of ideas we are collaborating on for a project or two down the road.

My best to you "Hank" as you enjoy your retirement!

Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 03 August 2001 at 07:09 AM.]

Lee Holeman

San Benito, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 7:06 am    

Thanks everyone for your info on Hank Corwin. Now I have his phone # & will call him. I told Earl I gave Hank his first job in Newburg, NY and we were both playing Fender 1000's along with bass & drums. I think he was still in high school at the time, then later in Houston he called me & I went to see him play with Jim Ed. Thanks again. Lee