The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Player (Somewhat) & New Member
Frank Rose

Oldfort, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2001 6:18 pm    

Just wanted to say hello to all the Members here at The Steel Guitar Forum...

I just joined here after many months of only ready and have enjoyed it a lot...

Have been a musician since 1966, but only played steel around 1978 thru 1981. My experience has been related mostly to about 1 year of Steel, Many years of Electric Guitar, Mandolin, Bass, and some Banjo. Had gotten divorced in 1981 and ex sold my steel before I knew it. It was a beautiful Emmons 10-String 3 x 2 and was a dream to learn on and play many sessions with. Have been without a Steel since 1981 and since I had a heart attack in March 2000, thought I would get back into the practice of things and re-learn the Pedal Steel...

Have noticed a lot of excellent steelers here and hope to learn a lot from everyone...

I am getting ready to purchase the Emmons Lashley LeGrande III LD1OL with the Anti-detuner with the Humbucking Pickups and a new Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp...

Again, glad to be a part of this forum as the Pedal Steel has always been my favorite instrument...

------------------
Frank "MT" Rose

[This message was edited by Frank Rose on 02 August 2001 at 02:36 AM.]

Roland Buras

Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2001 7:22 pm    

Welcome Frank; I recently joined the forum and enjoying it as well. Thats a mighty fine instrument you are about to purchase.
Good Luck & God Bless

Roland Buras

GFI S10pro 3&5 w/p Yamaha Sxp 990 Profex
Session 500 SHoBud LDG 3&4 Green w/p

Frank Rose

Oldfort, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 1:59 am    

Thanks Roland and Rayman for the kind response. I remember years ago practicing the Pedal Steel 4 hours a day and now ready to at least practice half that to get back into the groove of things...

I know that I will be starting from scratch again as I have forgotten most of what I knew about 20 years ago, but at 46, I believe I have plenty of time to get back into shape and also enjoy my old hobby once again...

------------------
Frank "MT" Rose

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 2:57 am    

Welcome to the forum Frank! I bet you havent forgoten as much as you think. I played lap steel when I was a kid and took some lessons from Bobby Garrett. Now at 44 nearly 30 years later Im starting over on PSG and I still remembered some of the stuff that Bobby taught me. Good luck and great equipment to start out with.

Rick

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 3:30 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:26 PM.]

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 5:15 am    

Welcome Frank,when you feel the frustation coming on,and it will,just get up and walk away for awhile.We don't want you having another heart attact.I think the steel is a carrier of them. Good luck and have fun with us.
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 6:25 am    

Frank...Re. your wife sellin' your steel when tearin' the sheets: Lucky for me I didn't get my 1st steel till a year after the divorce, or else she'd have sold mine too! Tradin' her off for a PSG was the smartest deal I ever pulled off!

Frank Rose

Oldfort, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 8:03 am    

Thanks guys for the welcome. Does make one feel at home here. Had I known about this Forum earlier, I would have been here many months ago...
Having aged over the years listening to the greats like Buddy Emmons, Jerry Byrd, Ralph Mooney, Lloyd Green, Leon McAuliffe, Speed West, and many more, it is no wonder that I still have a place in my heart for the distinct sounds of the Pedal Steel...

Thanks again for making oe feel so welcome...

------------------
Frank "MT" Rose

Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 11:51 am    

Hi Frank:
Welcome to the Forum. I am a new player myself; the funny thing is that we have both ordered the same guitar from Emmons; ours will be siblings probably. I did not order mine with the anti-cabinet drop system, as my guitar will cost $3500 as it is; will be interested to hear how that works for you. Mine will be ready early November; I can hardly wait.

I am curious if you have ever played through any Evans amps; I have an SE200 and cannot tell you how pleased I am with it. Sounds like an old Standell to me. Anyway look forward to hearing about your progress; I'll be here in New York bringing the steel to the clubs...Good Luck.
Gerald
Zum S-10 (for now)

Frank Rose

Oldfort, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 12:56 pm    

Thanks Gerald;
We may have brother and sister steels...

Ordering my LeGrande III LD1OL with just the 8 Pedals and 4 Knees. Added the CounterForce Unit to the E9 Neck only. Also switched to the Humbucking Pickups #108N for both Necks. Didn't really know what to try for the Volume Pedal as there are many out there that are excellent, but will stick with the Emmons Volume Pedal with the Extra Output Jack. Chose the Mica (High Gloss) in Derby Red or Cherry (Haven't made up my mind on that yet...

As far as Amps, I always liked the Peavey Sessions 500. But since the new Peavey Nashville 1000 came out which I listened to the other day, it is one sweet amplifier...

Good luck on your endeavor with the new LaGrande III and you should be very pleased...

I had tried a few other steels and it seems that you just can't beat the Master of all Steels in my mind, and that is ONLY AN EMMONS...

------------------
Frank "MT" Rose

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 1:13 pm    

Welcome to this great Forum Frank.
if one could just fall into a womans arms without fallin' into her hands, maybe there would be more Steels at home ?
it's an absolute necessity to have your wife participatin' in the Musik.
Get her singin', i'm sure you'll sing better, and the household will rock !
Steel can't hurt, if ya try...

Frank Rose

Oldfort, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 4:38 pm    

I can honestly say that my present wife (2nd) of 6 years is fully supportive of my starting back playing. A matter of fact, since the heart attack in 3/2000, she has said that I need to get a hobby to participate in again and even suggested that I start back playing the PS...

I have been back at work for about 6 months now (working in the Cardiac Cath Lab of all places)and when I told her I found an excellent used Emmons Dual, she asked why I was buying used. Buy New and be better...

Now that is a good better half so to say...

------------------
Frank "MT" Rose

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 5:13 pm    

Frank, How's the sound system at the Cardiac Cath Lab? Welcome aboard Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

Frank Rose

Oldfort, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2001 1:30 am    

Only a Sanyo AM-FM-CD in there for now...
Wouldn't do much good to have a good SS in there as there would be too much bounce. Needs more acoustical material...

------------------
Frank "MT" Rose