The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Customer Satisfaction !
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 2:58 pm    

B Cole, the company that I rejected had been after me for years to buy one of their guitars. I was "good" friends with the owner. But, after talking to him I went someplace else.

This was not a confrontation type thing. Just the way he did business at the time. He has since changed.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 4:13 pm    

Bill Crook said:

quote:
Mike....

Lets not judge the axe by the stupidity or lack of customer handleing of the "seller" or factoery reps.

I know Mike replied, but just to clarify.....the topic is customer satisfaction, which I take it to mean how happy you are with the whole experience of buying a guitar and then owning it. While Mike noted that there was nothing wrong with the guitar, it was his experience with the company that turned him sour. It's not that the guitar itself would keep him from buying from Emmons, nor would the bad dealing with Emmons keep him from liking his guitar. It's that the experience he had has left him sour on Emmons and will probably keep him from buying another model through them again. I'd bet he wouldn't rule out buying a used one through someone else, though. (No, I don't have one to sell....that's not my angle)

By the way everyone, I am valuing all the opinions being rendered regarding this topice. As I plan on eventually purchasing a factory-new steel, this is good info for the future. And please, if you had a BAD experience, please don't be scared to speak up and note which brand it was....that info is just as usefule as the info telling us about the great experiences.

Joe
**Dekley S-12 5/4**

Albert Svenddal

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 6:33 am    

Bill Rudolph of the Williams guitar company is one of the finest persons to deal with. His guitar is one of the best and I have been to his shop several times and see the way that he treats all of his new guitars for his customers with the greatest care. Customer satisfaction with Williams is the best.

------------------

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 6:42 am    

The only new steels I've bought are Williams (twice) and Fessenden. Both Bill Rudolph and Jerry Fessenden were great to deal with. I would definitely buy from either one again and will recommend them to anyone in the market for a new steel. Also, I just had W.C. Edgar make me a set of double cases for an old Sho Bud, and he was great to deal with also, and supplied a quality product at a reasonable price. I highly recommend his products also.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 8:26 am    

Cougar Steel Guitars....Praise for product and customer satisfaction.
In my very first conversation with Freeman Cowgar, he treated me like I was an old friend. I had him build for me an S7 3&4/S8,sent him my own custom mica,and asked him to do some extras for me. I am very pleased with the end result. There have been some adjustments and modifications along the way, and Freeman bent over backwards to accommadate me. The word "no" is simply not in his vocabulary. Although he is not "up there in stature with the big boys", he makes a quality product at a reasonable price. His customer support is "beyond the call of duty"

Remmington Steel Guitars
About two and a half years ago, Herb built for me a triple neck Steelmaster, 2 - 8's and a 10. It is a georgeous, quality guitar with tone. Somehow, in communicating, we got our signals crossed (neither of us at fault) as I thought that I had asked for it to be in black. When it arrived, it was natural laquer (still amazing). When I called him and told him that I thought it was to be in black, without any hesitation he said, " no problem, I'll build you another one". Well, I couldn't ask for more than that but I wanted to play it for a few days before I decided. After playing it, I decided that I was not going to let go of it and do not regret that decision, but Herb was there for me had I decided the other way. He is also very helpful with tunings and advice. A gentleman as well as a legend.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 21 July 2001 at 09:29 AM.]

B Bailey Brown

San Antonio, TX (USA)
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 10:16 am    

I would have to echo what Rick Richtmyer mentioned. I had one of the early Sho-Bud Professionals. It may have been one of the best sounding guitars I have ever owned, but it was truly a mechanical piece of junk! I bought it from a music store on Sunset Blvd. in LA, and by the time it finally got so bad it was impossible to play I was back in Texas. Customer service was never a factor, as I never dealt with Sho-Bud. Who knows, they might have helped me get it back in shape!

I just took the Sho-Bud down to Jerry Blanton and said, “Built me a guitar that works and help me get rid of this thing!” Jerry did both and several years later, when my first Blanton was stolen, Jerry built me a second guitar. Over the years He made adjustments, gave advice, and was always there to answer questions. I don’t remember that he ever charged me a thing beyond the original price of the guitar.

Four years ago I bought a new C&W from Carson Wells, which is the guitar I currently play (although I still own both Blanton’s’…yea, I actually got the stolen one back!), and I have had the same experience. Carson has never failed to answer a question, make an adjustment or offer advice. He has never charged me a thing besides the original price of the guitar either.

Maybe I am just lucky that I have never had to do business with the larger guitar makers. I have had great luck with the smaller builders, in that I have always gotten a quality instrument and outstanding customer service. I have no complaints at all!

B. Bailey Brown

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2001 4:22 am    

Carter is not just "World Class Steel Guitars"; its world class business in the areas of customer service and Marketing Product Management if you are familiar with this discipline.

I too had the Sho Bud Professional as my first guitar; it was garbage as others have stated. Mine even went back to 416 Broadway TWICE to no avail. I was only able to start learning to play after it was traded to an MSA Classic.

MSA was an excellent customer service experience. I was amazed that a 12 year old kid could call the factory and Maurice himself would take the time to answer the questions!

Before Carter, thanks to Garland Nash, I played a used SuperPro that gave me many years of service with a few minor adjustments by Mac Atcheson who is as great a technician as he is a human being and a picker!

BC

------------------
Carter D-10 8+9, BCT, TPPP

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2001 12:46 pm    

I have only bought 2 new steels, a 1973 MSA and a 1998 ZUM. Both steels were exactly as expected and have performed beautifully. All dealings with Reece and Bruce have been pleasant. I have ordered parts from Emmons for my 68 p/p. When the parts didn't show, I had to replace the orders. I did finally get the parts and I hope they are more on top of things these days.