The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Drummer slow down
Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2001 7:54 pm    

You guy's are a little bit wrong if you expect human beings to have perfect tempo. I've played for many years and I know that I have good time.

When I produce my rhythm track CD's, I use a DMpro drum module. I write a midi track for the drums, the DMpro plays it and I record it to audio. Then I add my bass and guitars.

My point is this.... I play a CD of the song that I want to create a track for. At the same time I have my software opened up and I'll sit there as long as it takes to sync up a "click" to the CD to determine the tempo of the song. Now mind you, I'm playing CD's of legendary artists and the songs I'm creating a track for are classics. I HAVE NEVER FOUND ONE RECORDING THAT WILL STAY SYNCED TO THE CLICK TRACK ALL THE WAY THROUGH!

I'm amazed if ANY recording stays with the click track for 1 & 1/2, let alone 2 verses.

So all of these great recordings by all of these great artists have tempo drifts. I refer to it as the "human element". I think of it as the tempo/music "breathing" when played by humans.

Now that's not to say that the drummers you're working with don't have a problem. And we all know it sucks to play with any player who is not "in the pocket".

My point is that you will drive yourself crazy if you try to sync a drummer up to a metronome. Even the best drummers in the world will drift a little. In reality, the whole band drifts. But there is a line that when crossed, takes the player out of the "pro catagory".

The only way to solve the problem "electronically" as you guy's are discussing, is to do it like they do in the "disco" or "dance music" scene. And that is to have a good quality drum machine or midi module running through your PA thumping out a bass drum or cracking a snare equally as loud as the rest of your band is. Tell your drummer that when he can establish a more steady rhythm for the band, you will gladly do away with the "rhythmic enhancement".

Till then, force him to play with accompanyment. It will surely show him how bad his tempo is. It may even cause him to quit out of embarrassment. But if he's smart, he'll take advantage of the oppurtunity to finally get past that "nasty little tempo problem".

I think it may be easier to find a new drummer than to get a bad one to have good time. Best of luck.

Regards,
HH