The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No Volume Pedal - A Valid Choice?
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 5:16 am    

Man, Dick McIntire was good! It's a shame his work is close to 100% out of print.

Roulette is another guy who uses his fingers on the guitar's controls for volume effects. The only guitar on which that technique ever worked for me was a Chandler lap steel where the knobs fit in just the right place.

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 4:04 pm    

using your pinky was rather common among all the hawaiien-players 40-50 years ago. Those licks were however mainly single-note-licks(and the better players used their thumb only if i remember well). try putting a volume knob on your steelguitar and i think it will become obvious why they started using a foot pedal.rob.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 6:00 pm    

Rob, I detect you must be a pedal player. On most lap guitars, the volume control is situated at the right spot for the pinky to curl around, whereas on most pedal guitars, it is not situated on the upper surface...hence the need for a volume pedal.

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 12:20 am    

George,
on a pedal steelguitar the volume-knob is situated under the rightfoot, because you can't use your pinky with all those chords you play on a pedalsteel, while maintaining a rather rigid righthand. Why make things complicated?? ,rob.

Peggy Green

San Jose, California USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 5:53 am    

Pedabro players going for the acoust natural resonator sound don't have the option of a volume pedal.

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 10:08 am    

Doug, Moon has always used a volume pedal but does get on and off of it as Booby says "both feet on pedals". He does have fast feet. He has told me numerous times that he sets his volume high and plays all the time." " Let the engineer / sound man leave in or take out what they want" Also said" a lot of stuff he put on Waylon recordings didn't make it to final mix".
regards, fred

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 10:19 am    

Bobby....wooooopppps.Sorry bout my spelling...you might think I'm competing with Bobbe for "wwusrt spuhllor.
Another interesting bit of wisdom The Moon passed on to me was his and Roy N. first "delays or reverb".He took a 2x6,he always started with a 2x6 for everything he built",and a couple of heads from a tape recorder.Nailing one head in place with a nail and spacing the other head til he got the sound he wanted and then made tapes to proper length . Tapes needed changing as they would break during a job.
This was before echoplex and others on market. I don't know where they got the idea.Of course where did Moon get most of his ideas...he didn't have anyone to copy???
regards...fred

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 11:29 am    

If you want to hear the next best thing to Dick McIntyre, then get Chuck Lettes newest CD "Cool Blue Steel" because he plays EVERY song with McIntyre's 1935 6-string Rickenbacker Frypan!!