The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No Volume Pedal - A Valid Choice?
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 12:41 pm    

I've been playing steel for over ten years and have just never been able to get used to a volume pedal. I sold my vintage Bigsby pedal and never looked back. Chas Smith says Joaquin never used one. What other steel greats never used one. Who else on the forum doesn't use a pedal? Is it essential to use one? Am I missing something?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 1:40 pm    

What style do you play? Playing without a pedal is standard for most Hawaiian players, as well as Blues-type music and old Western-Swing tunes. On pedal steel, Sneaky Pete Kleinow seldom used one. But if you're playing E9th Country licks, it's a lot easier with a pedal, since most all Country PSG'ers use it to get maximum sustain.

In short, I think the music and your own style are the mandate here.

P.S. A lot of the older pedals (like Bigsby, and some Sho-Bud pedals) are quite high, and not comfortable for some players to use. Try something with a lower profile if you have the opportunity...it might make a difference!

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 2:33 pm    

I can't imagine playing without one. As the notes sustain I can swell the volume and add vibrato. And the added volume brings in more level from my Fender SFX, which just fills the room. To me, that's the sound of the steel guitar. But I'm the one who said fingerpicks were mandatory and got flamed. So I'd say the only essentials are bars and strings.

------------------

Emmons Push Pull S10 | Peavey Session 400 | '52 Fender Lap Steel | Goodrich L120 & Matchbox

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 2:38 pm    

I'd consider a volume pedal as "standard equipment". But, I did an entire CD project (backup for a singer) and never touched the volume pedal except to set the level to the board. If you listen to it, you can't tell I didn't "use" the volume pedal.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 2:58 pm    

Derick Campbell (of the Campbell Brothers) doesn't use one.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 6:13 pm    

I read somewhere that Ralph Mooney didn't use a volume pedal. I can't imagine playing without a volume pedal on a gig. One volume level for everything just does not work for me. There are times when a steel player needs to "bring out" parts, like chimes, and times when he needs to "come down" on parts, like fills. Without the pedal, the level of the steel is constant and in your face all the time. I like to come up for solos and down for backup.

I do sometimes go "pedalless" in the studio when punching in a fast solo, where the sensitivity of volume swells are not necessary.

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 05 July 2001 at 07:24 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 6:47 pm    

I always had a volume pedal, but never hardly "Used" it.
On my old Gibson 6 pedal Electra-Harp I used both feet on the pedals.
But my pedal was a tone expander and I used it for Doo-Wah a lot.
As Jack said, you don't need to "Use" it all the time. But it does come in handy on certain type songs.......al

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 6:54 pm    

In another thread I mentioned how I'd left my power supply to my Hilton volume pedal at home last weekend by accident while cleaning out the pac a seat. I had to play all night without it for the first time. It'll make you watch your touch and control the volume with the attack. You don't have a choice. I wouldn't want to play like that all of the time but I did practice this week without it until today. It definitely improves your touch.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 7:40 pm    

b0b said
Quote:
Derick Campbell (of the Campbell Brothers) doesn't use one.

Yes, but he has a very talented right hand pinkie......

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 7:44 pm    

Four years ago I broke my right ankle and learned to play without one. I think practicing without it improves your playing, when you do have it. A guy learns not to depend on it.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

[This message was edited by Craig A Davidson on 05 July 2001 at 08:45 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 7:57 am    

I've heard Ralph Mooney use a volume pedal on slow songs, but most of the time he has both feet on the pedals.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 3:05 pm    

I get the "don't need my volume pedal" bug about twice a year. It usually lasts for a couple of days - just long enough to remind me that the volume pedal does ALOT more than just increase volume for sustain and violin effects. In my opinion it "Breathes Life" into my playing - without it the sound just seems boring and lifeless.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 8:54 pm    

I can take it or leave it. I find however, a volume pedal adds a lot of expression to one's playing when used sparingly. The master of the pedal IMHO is the "Master" himself as his playing is enhanced with his volume pedal, (used with great taste).

Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 11:58 am    

I broke my right leg in a motorcycle accident in the 70's, and being in plaster had no choice but to play without a pedal.
I think that improved my right hand technique considerably. I don't think i could manage without my "HILTON" now though.
Cheers
Dave.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 12:35 pm    

As Donny suggested, I play Hawaiian, jazz, blues, western swing and folk and so far, haven't yearned for a volume pedal (though I did enjoy doing the occaisional Speedy West Do-Wah with my Bigsby pedal back when I owned a Fender Triple). But from all your comments it looks like a volume pedal is a facet of my steel playing that I ought to revisit. Thanks for your advice, everyone. Now ... which pedal is the one to get? I'm sure there's 100% agreement on THAT issue.

[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 09 July 2001 at 01:40 PM.]

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 1:05 pm    

In the old days {1970's} I saw several 6 string guitar pickers use a volume pedal to try to imitate the sounds of a steel.Of coarse they usually "over did it" by using a lot more swells and wahwah than any steel player I ever saw..They tryed to use swells in volume to imitate the slideing effect of PSG..I thought it was a poor copy of steel but I heard people comment about how the 6 string sounded like a steel??

------------------
Jerry Wallace- "98 Zum: D-10,8+8, "96 Zum: D-10,8+5,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico

[This message was edited by jerry wallace on 09 July 2001 at 03:28 PM.]

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 1:07 pm    

Maybe Jim Cohen will add to this thread. One cut on his CD is without a volume pedal. I don't remember which one and I can't tell, either. Great job, Jim!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 2:09 pm    

I take my foot off of the volume pedal when I want to sound like a Dobro or a rock guitar.

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 3:02 pm    

I agree, and if you want your pedalsteelguitar to sound like a pedalsteelguitar, you use a volume-pedal. As vital a part as a sustaining pedal is to a piano.(my 2 eurocents)

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 7:07 pm    

Andy,

never ask what is the best piece of equipment here on the forum. You should know better than that! Having said that... Go with a Goodrich Model 120. IMHO it's the best value out there... $ / quality

Hi Rob, How are you doing on that dobro? Doug B

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 8:15 pm    

Ernie, you have a good memory! In fact, TWO cuts on my CD are without a volume pedal and guess what? I can only remember ONE of them (the title cut). Maybe if I listen real close I can figure out which one was the other one...

I didn't do it cuz I wanted to though. I got into the studio and we found that my pot pedal was making a "whooshing" sound into the board, so we had to take it out and record the two tunes without it. I didn't have the Hilton yet, but I sure got one in time for the next session, and my engineer jumped up and kissed me for bringing it. Your mileage may vary

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 12:13 pm    

Hi Doug, i still enjoy pickin it up every now and then very, very much. Usually when friends come by and i don't want to annoy them with that steelguitar sound again.......yeah, yeaaah....
Too bad i can't be there at the bash. I hope you have a great time.
Anyway, to come back to the original post, Andy, since it sounds like you haven't used a pedal for a long time, perhaps you might consider soldering it so that it works the other direction. I remember someone mentioning that on the forum and it kept me busy for a while. I noticed that keeping it up a little(so i mean the volume low) does put some strain on your muscles, and indeed it might be easier in the long run if it worked the other way. I don't feel comfortable enough with the regular way yet to start experimenting and getting lost on the way.
Just an idea, and perhaps you could put your experiences here on the forum.Rob.

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 11:38 am    

Steel guitar jazz legend Freddie Roullette plays an 8 string National lap steel without volume pedal.

Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 1:18 pm    

I generally don't use one. I'm only playing small rooms these days, and can conrol volume with my pick attack. If I was playing large rooms again, it would be a different story.
Mostly I don't use one because I was never very good at it, and felt that it got in the way of more important things that I had to learn. Also, I am preparing for the day I can play an acoustic pedal steel, and want to play that without a volume pedal.
In closing, I just want to say that Jimmy Day had a magic right foot.
T. Sage Harmos

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 6:59 pm    

Going back to 'ye olden days" when Dick McIntire reigned supreme, he could dazzle you with the beautiful "violin" effect which he obtained with his right pinky finger wrapped around the volume knob. No volume pedals in those days !