The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Practice time question?
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 2:07 am    

I've noticed while practicing that if Im having a difficult time with a particular song or lick, if I walk away from the steel for awhile and then go back after a few minutes I seem to do better. This ever happen to some of you? I've also noticed that licks I couldnt hit cleanly last week are coming more easily now. Practice and a great teacher are helping me learn this complicated contraption and I'm enjoying it more each day. Thanks to all who have helped!

Rick

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 4:30 am    

"if I walk away from the steel for awhile and then go back after a few minutes I seem to do better"

Minutes? Shoot, I might walk away from a lick for several months and come back sounding better. I've been working on the 4-wheel drive bridge for two years; pick it up, then put it down for awhile; it's finally starting to sound like something.

I have to adopt the mindset of a long distance runner when learning this instrument -- but, if something is not going right, put it away for awhile and practice something else, and let your unconscious do the work (but never stop practicing).

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 7:33 am    

Once while I was in Germany, we were playing an October Fest job in town. I became thirsty and noticed that there were four or five glasses of beer setting by my 1000. It was garnering a lot of attention because I think it was the first one in Europe at the time.

I smiled at a couple of guys who were standing there and drank some of the beer. And then some more and later....well you know how that goes. I honestly thought I was sounding like BE but someone in the band was taping and when I heard that tape sober, I was so ashamed of myself, I put the steel in the closet and wouldn't touch it for over a week. I mean it was really awful what I had been playing but I have never forgotten how good the beer made it sound to me and I never drink and play anymore.

But when I did come back to it, I found a whole new respect for it and also that my touch had changed somehow. I began to go back to where I started and play the early songs I had learned. One by Bud Issacs; By The Waters Of The Minetonka (sp?) and one of my boyhood heros, Johnny Smith which later got me first prize in a talent contest; Moonlight In Vermont. So it's true for me.

Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 13 July 2001 at 08:34 AM.]

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 8:21 am    

The steel guitar can be a frustrating instrument to play. You have to learn your guitar. I've been playing for 31 years and I find that when I put my mind to learn a certain lick that when I have difficulty in putting from my head to my fingers, I get up from the guitar, walk away (still playing the lick in my head), and come back to it later, that I have more success in performing it. I still try to practice about 1-2 hours every day.....PMP. Practice makes perfect............

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 8:40 am    

Rick,
I had played a counterpoint lick for years but had not used it for a long time. When I went to find it the other day it was nowhere to be found. Now I know I'm getting old but how in the world could I forget something I had used so many times. I finely e-mailed my old freind Gene Jones and tried to explain to him what I was looking for. He came up with a couple of possibilities but neither was what I was looking for.
So to answer your question, getting up and walking away for awhile hasn't worked for me yet but I keep hopeing it will sooner or later.

Jerry Horner

MSA Classic S-12 Universal Session 500 Amp

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 11:53 am    

...forgot the lick? I walk away and I forget where I left the guitar!...

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 2:35 pm    

Pat, I may just take your advice.

John Knight

Alaska
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 3:20 pm    

I have two roads I go down about learning new material. Work, Work and work some more. What is that ole saying greatness is 5% talant and 95% persperation. The other is study, practice, study and practice. I have been working on a recording my dad did in the 60's of Canadian Sunset. I still don't have it right and thats after 1 year of working on it. Its my dads phrasing and touch that is so bloody hard to copy

------------------
D 10 Thomas with 8&6
Nashville 400 and Profex II
Asleep at the Steel

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 3:23 pm    

Don't do it Jerry, you know you love it! Larry

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 4:19 pm    

Dirk B.- When I first heard BE's four wheel drive in 1963? ? I played it once, put the album away and figured on quitting playing steel Seriously right then and there.
But it is good to take time off and relax a little, it really does help.

But I had to take the money and so kept on playing.....al

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 13 July 2001 at 05:22 PM.]

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 9:43 pm    

Practice is what makes the difference between good players and great players. also if you cannot visualize the "lick" in your mind, you most likely won't be able to play it. Walking away for about 5 minutes sometimes gets me back on track. Jody.