The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I was replaced by a computer chip...
Robert Todd

Atlanta, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 6:28 am    

quote:
Can you play the intro to"Touch my Heart" and make one string go up and the other
down at the same time on your key board?

Of course not. Could a steel sound like a piano? On the other hand a sampled, not synthesized keyboard can imitate many instruments and can imitate a single note bend to the point of fooling most anyone. Does this mean I prefer it, No! Does it offend me or cause me to be prejudiced against it? No as well. I see it as imitation being the highest form of flattery.

quote:
It still looks funny to me to see names like Yamaha,Sabian,Takamine,on the
Opry stage.

I say play the best, In addition to noodleing on the Ensoniq keyboard, which BTW is an American instrument, I play a Martin D35 acoustic guitar, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Ibanez Artist and Musicman Sabre electric guitars, Dobro well dobros, and Carter Steels, all through Mesa Boogie amps, and of course not all at once either . I play each of these instruments because of how they sound to my ear not because of where they were made. I think that probably explains why you see other brands at the Opry, most musicians choose what sounds great to them.

[This message was edited by Robert Todd on 12 July 2001 at 07:34 AM.]

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 6:45 am    

Many keyboards have a pitch-bend wheel that will raise/lower the pitch of the notes played.

And, yes, I'm sure there are patches out there that sound half-way decent for a steel guitar (though none of the ones I've tried really do).

As others have mentioned, if you use multiple midi channels, etc. and record each channel separately, you could probably put together a steel part that would fool most people (esp. when it's put into the mix). But if you soloed it in front of somebody familiar with steel guitar, I don't think it would pass for the real thing very often.

But the real issue, IMO, is that a keyboard just can't be used "real-time" to simulate a pedal steel guitar. Unless the guy's got two keyboards, and he plays a note on each one, and the pitch bends have been pre-recorded on MIDI, or something like that. But that's not really "realt-time", either, IMO.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 6:51 am    

Quote:
On the other hand a sampled, not synthesized keyboard can imitate many instruments and can imitate a single note bend to the point of fooling most anyone.

Quite true. The real problem is that instruments have so many different types of attacks, depending on how they're plucked, blown, etc. And most keyboards only vary the VOLUME of the attack (based on how hard you play the not).

You can play a "sax" on a keyboard, but you'll sound like a keyboard player playing the sax, or a very boring sax player.

Ensoniq used to have a couple of "patch buttons" on the keyboard that would let you change the attack somewhat for different instruments. But, as I recall, it was primarily used to add things like a grace note, a slide, etc.

Now, if somebody wanted to get really fancy, I suppose you could sample lots of different styles of sax playing (more growl, etc) and then somehow hook up a MIDI breath controller to smoothly interpolate between these patches based on the value of the MIDI controller.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should give Yamaha or Ensoniq a call.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 10:23 am    

What happens, as you know, when you push a key, it just cycles through the sample and unless there is a series of different samples that cycle with the keystrokes, the sameness is noticable. That's how you can tell whether it's a sampler or a player. All of the nuances and indeterminancy of a live player are gone.

I have a couple of Emu E-IVs that I use as 'tape decks'. I've sampled myself playing 'signature licks' in different keys on various guitars, so in a pinch, I can show up with a 4-space rack and lay in some steel guitar.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 1:02 pm    

Robert Todd, The brand names I mentioned seeing on the Opry stage were there because of promotion issues, not because they were the better brand.They were there because they were FREE! I still don't like seeing the hard core american heritage "Opry" littered with foreign product,sure, I watch it on a Sony TV and I have 2 foreign cars, but I don't put them on the Opry.Just something it seems, just isn't right,Just me, A little wierd? Maybe, but I like some things authentic. Which is worth more, an american made Fender guitar or a Japanese\or mexican Fender? I didn't ask which is better, just worth more,I love my Lexus,Mercedes,Nikon, Sony,Honda cycle,etc, but I want my Opry the way it was built, original,pure,with country music,made in America!(I don't want Toyo or Bridgstone tires on my restored "57" Chevy either)-------- I'm not going to edit this either Les! Naturally, my wishes arn't going to change anything Robert,It's just MY personal taste. Bobbe

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 1:45 pm    

If it wasn't for the Japanese auto makers back in the '70s, our arrogant American manufacturers would still be turning out the same garbage. Remember the Vega, started rusting on the showroom floor.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 2:16 pm    

*]

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:02 PM.]

André Sommer

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 4:13 pm    

quote:
but I want my Opry the way it was built, original,pure,with country music,made in America!
----------

Bobbe, with all due respect, but here's a little story I'd like to share and I do agree with you that everyone is entitled to have an opinion.
Back in 1975, the CMA invited me and my band Sommerset to perform at the (then) new Opry.At that time I had just turned 17 and only played steel for about 3 years.Also, in Europe it was very hard to even find and buy a steel guitar. Luckily, Framus from Germany gave me one as an endorsement so that's what I took with me and played. ( I also used my Yamaha semi-acoustic there,a present from my father,and BTW, is now considered to be 'vintage'.One of my biggest idols Chet Atkins (God bless his soul) changed the high E string which had broken right before showtime on this guitar backstage, because he saw I was nervous and couldn't fined a spare. Still have this string !)

We felt it was a great honor to have been given the opportunity to play on this stage and even did a song ( an original written by my two brothers and me ) to express that emotion. We've also done a few TV shows ( I remember the Ralph Emery Show) and played at The King of the Road and the Possum Holler. Once again, I'm very grateful to have been part of all this and I will always treasure these memories.

Respectfully,

Andre.

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 8:32 pm    

Andre, I'm very glad you got to work the Opry,But this is totally not what I'm talking about.If the Opry wasn't an American institution you wouldn't have wanted to work it, right? You could stay home and work the German Opry.Japanese like it because it's what it is, Thats why the japanese collect american guitars, and cars, not nesessarially because they are better but because they have American Heritage. My Honda,Lexus,Sony TV etc arn't collectable,But my old American junkie cars are, go figure!
I love seeing people from other lands on the Opry, They are usually as good or better than the domistic acts, they try harder. The most precision bluegrass band I ever heard was in Japan while on tour with Hank Williams the third. Everything they did sounded like a perfect session,I'm glad they didn't hear us! I just like keeping heritage pure,Mix it all up and what do you have? A Honda-Davidson? Naw, not for me. I do love the tone of a push -pull Harley though,the black ones sound best! (thanks Chas.)
Bobbe

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 8:39 pm    

Chas, if you don't like my Vega, I won't even ask you about my Pinto!
By the way,I got the album,Gotta talk to you, It's really somthin'!!! Heavy!WOW! what can I say!
Bobbe

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 10:45 pm    

Bobbe, many thank yous, what can I say?

I have a '72 Moto Guzzi, you won't see Harleys cruisin across the Sahara. 30 years ago I had a pre-unit Triumph, it didn't like the desert out here.

[This message was edited by chas smith on 12 July 2001 at 11:50 PM.]