The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy's 1977 Convention Albums
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 2:41 pm    

I finally got to listen to the Convention Albums (both albums) that were recorded at St louis. I also have the benchmark Black album, but I'd say these are on a par with that album.

I first went to the St Louis convention in 1978 so I missed the 77 show when these were recorded.

I don't know that I can pick out one song, just all are classic Big E and super!

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 4:00 pm    

Jack;
I completely agree. They are classics.

'78 was my first convention, too. That was the year Emmons Guitar introduced the LeGrande. I'll never forget that Sunday night: Setting right beside Buddy trying it out for about 45 minutes after the convention had ended. Like the commercial says: Priceless.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 4:36 pm    

I envy you both. Even though I'm old enough to have gone in '78, my first convention was in 1998 at Buddy's last show, 20 years after your's. I was new to steel and only vaguely knew who Buddy Emmons was...

Now myself and a lot of younger/newer players may never have a chance to see him do a solo show again. Sigh...

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 7:36 pm    

I was there, and when he recorded Mansion on the Hill, it seemed like the whole audience held their breath. After it was done, it sounded like a great big sigh, and then a great big applause.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 8:30 pm    

I was there at the convention in 1977 and it was great! I saw Buddy once in the Elevator, and once in Reece's hotel suite. Two super-guys. I made some cassette tapes while there.

Fun........al

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 6:17 am    

I was there too! What an awesome evening, sitting at one of those big round tables that had turned the place into a pseudo-cafe and listening to the finest music this side of the Promised Land.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 8:02 am    

Those are two great albums which I picked up at the PSGA Show in 1987 when I took the Seminar that Buddy gave that year.
I was so in awe of sitting with my steel only 4 feet away from him for about 8 hours that when I went home I played the tapes from the seminar and realized I was there with a "Living Legend."
Thanks Buddy,
Don

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 9:04 am    

I not only was there in '77 when he recorded that two ablum set, but I had the distinct pleasure of knowing what Buddy was about to do when he picked up that Ebow and drove us crazy on that incredible rendition of "Mansion on the Hill" and later, "Once Upon a Time in the West".

Just by pure accident, (fate maybe) earlier that year Ron Lashley called me and asked me to join him at the NAMM show in Atlanta. Unbeknownst to me Buddy was doing his thing at the Emmons' booth. Of course I died dead upon sight of him.

Just imagine the thrill of sitting right next to this man dazzle the world with his wizardry for most of the day. NO thrill in my life has ever been greater. No accompanyment, no nothing. Just Buddy doing what NO body on earth can. (NOT even him )

Later that day, Buddy took a break and when he came back he had two boxes. He quickly opened one of them as the instructions fell to the floor and Buddy put that Ebow on the strings and in short order was making some of the most incredibly sweet sounds I ever heard.

I was reading the instructions and after a bit, Buddy said, "hoss, anything I should know about this thing?"

I said, "NOPE, you have covered it ALL"

And indeed he had. Little did I know that at the ISGC later that year he would introduce that incredible feat of his as recorded in that two album set.

What a man. "The Big E" does not begin to describle this greatest of them all.

On a side note. And I don't recall the name of the tune. But there is a place on one of those ablums where he is doing his fast single string stuff and he is already driving us out of our minds, when applause breaks out. Then as if he could not top what he had just done, he turns on his "after burners" and WOW!!

Like Scotty has said soo many times on stage,

"What can ya say!!" Listen for it. And see if it doesn't rattle yer timbers. Staccato notes dead on pitch coming outa that amp like a 22 rifle with EACH note saying something musically to your ears and everyone else's listening in awe.

God bless him, and all of you,

carl

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 3:44 pm    

Why does Buddy, no longer play the St. Louis Convention? Please the real answer!

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 4:34 pm    

I'd like to know is that a p/p or a Legrande he was using at the 77 convention?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 4:36 pm    

Push-pull. I was there too.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 6:46 pm    

Yes it was a P-P. And if my memory serves me correctly, it was his black one. It may have been the same one he cut his black album on. Not sure. But the tone he got at that convention was absolutely awesome. That set with Buddy Spicher on the fiddle (and others), was as good as it gets, IMHO

carl

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 8:27 pm    

It was one of his black push-pulls, the Blade I believe. The photo on the Black Album is a rosewood push pull, but you have to look close to tell.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 2:32 am    

Kyle, Buddy is not doing any steel guitar shows, not just the St Louis convention. He has stated on here previously his position. It was a personal decision, nothing to do with the shows or the show promoters.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 4:30 am    

Buddy used a black Emmons push-pull for the live recording. I don't know what year it was, but it was a 9x8. Here's a picture of it:

The Blade is his '68 rosewood push-pull. It's on the cover of Emmons Guitar, Inc.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 4:33 am    

Jack,
Not all of us have seen Buddy's post on the subject of performing at steel shows. Could you possibly enlighten us to where it is?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 7:05 am    

It's probably still in the archives but I wouldn't have an idea how to try and do a search and narrow it down. But, it's been at least a year maybe more when he made the comments. The thread title, as I remember, was not specifically about that, it was just some comments Buddy made.

And, again, don't read anything into it other than it was his own personal decision to stop doing ALL steel shows. If you want to see Buddy "live" you'll have to attend an Everly Bros. show.