The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB: fretboard cleaner gizmo
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2004 10:11 pm    

Saw a cool little padded and handled cleaner for sale a long time ago on the forum, to get under the strings and clean the fretboard. Can't find it via search. Anyone know where to get one of those doo-dads?

James Heady

Manton, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 3:37 am    

john.. do like i do..wait till your wife goes to bed . then sneak in the bath room and get here tooth brush. after you use it, put it back and she won`t know the differnce. you might want to rince it off after you use it. jim

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 5:27 am    

I keep one of these in my Pac-a-Seat.
Excellent for dusting between strings and tuners.

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 03 June 2004 at 06:31 AM.]

Stan Townsend

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 5:52 am    

Hi John,
Is this the one?
(BTW, your new Mullen is a beauty!) http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum3/HTML/017479.html

Scott Moon

Canyon Lake, TX
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 6:02 am    

Go get you a wooden paint stir stick and glue some felt to one side of it. You can cut it off to get the length you want. Works great!
Scott

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 8:03 am    

John,

A clean baby diaper is an excellent tool to clean fretboards under strings. They are extremely soft where most other rags aren't. Wipe any body sweat off with a different rag due to sweat's acidic oil and salt content. The diaper can be slipped under the strings and pulled up to any bundled thickness desired ...and string pressure will help the cleaning pressure. The diaper can be easily pulled back and forth under the strings, and it's corners can get into other really tight spaces. I HIGHLY suggest being MOST cautious with any kind of cleaner on a fretboard, especially the older the fretboard is. ALWAYS test any cleaner you might feel needed on a discreet corner of the fretboard; Because I have had even mild and only damp cleaner solutions take paint off of fretboards.

----------

Also;

Ace Hardware sells an Ace brand light non-silicone oil that comes in a yellow spray can with white cap, ...that is advertised on the can to not effect plastics nor finishes (a liability they would not claim if not fully proven). I've used that specific Ace oil exclusively on guitars for about 15 years without noticing any ill effects on any plastic or finish or anything. In general, anything more than a very thin film of oil on a guitar can cause problems. I put an occasional VERY light mist of that oil on diapers, wad them up to work even that small amouny of the oil in before opening the diaper back up, ...and store the diaper laying across and along the strings of a guitar in it's case. Does wonders for wiping guitars and strings, and stored on top of the strings does wonders for keeping them from corroding. A habit of wiping a guitar after every use or before putting it away in it's case, with such a diaper, will keep moisture in check and keep a very thin film of that wiped off oil on metal surfaces to help prevent corrosion. I also have no reservations about cleaning fretboards with such a diaper.

Aloha,
DT

Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 8:27 am    

John, I found them at the Dallas show for 1.00 each. Yes they work great. Maybe he will see your ad and answer you, if not they are made from a stir stick and soft cloth.The cloth is removable on the ones I have.Good luck

Gary Ball

Lapwai, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 5:38 am    

John, the slickest thing I've seen and use is called a "Swiffer Duster." Available everywhere. Comes with a handle and 5 dusters for under $4.00. Slips right under the strings, great for Computor and TV screens too.