The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Brass extension nut and Metal guitar setup advic
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2004 5:19 pm    

I need a couple of the brass extension nuts that raises the strings on a round-neck guitar. These used to be very common. Now I can't find them anywhere.

Also, I need some advice or reference material on doing a setup on the metal body tri-cone, and single cone (biscuit) type guitars.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2004 8:00 pm    

Jim, www.stewmac.com has the extension nuts. Prompt shipping also. I believe you can download the set-up info there also. Good Luck! JO
[OOPS! Forgot to mention there is a $30 minimum order...Sorry.]

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 01 December 2004 at 08:03 PM.]

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2004 1:34 pm    

I can get you a couple. No minimum but you'll need to cover shipping. Send me an email or call.
gs

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Sierra Session D-10

www.16tracks.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2004 6:55 pm    

What I need are the brass extension nuts, that have a flat top and a square slot that fits over the nut. I think that Stew-Mac and others only show the nickle or chrome plated curved ones. Jerry or Gary, do you have the brass ones?

Also, want setup instruction on a metal body guitar with the tri-cone and the single cone with biscuit bridge. I already have the Beard video for a wooden body with soundwell and spider bridge. They are different animals.

Thanx,
Jim

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2004 8:42 pm    

Sorry Jim, I thought stewmac had the brass ones...I see nickel is all that is listed. Most music stores used to carry the brass ones, but I haven't seen a square one in forever.
If you go to their sidebar and click on free info....look in the "reference" listing. They have some info listed on biscuit bridge setups if you scroll on down. If this is no help, maybe Brad's page of steel has some links. Otherwise, check out www.resonatorguitarist.com when they're back up and running. Best of Luck! JO

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2004 6:52 pm    

Jerry, Thank you for the new info. I had a dozen of the brass extension nuts at one time, but have used them and given them away. Now I need at least one to convert a roundneck for lap style.

Will check out the Stew-Mac for biscuit bridge setup info.

Thanx,
Jim