The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boosting Recording Signal?
Dennis Nordin

Russellville, AR U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2001 6:47 am    

I have everything set up on my computer to record from cassette tape, CD, and turntable. The problem I am having is getting the signal from cassette or turntable at the same level as a CD. I am trying to convert some cassettes and records to wav files so I can burn them to CD. There is a noticable difference in the recorded volume of tapes and records versus the CD. Is there a way to boost the signal when recording to get it to the same level as a CD? Is there software needed to edit the files after recording to a wav file? I use Creative and MusicMatch to record.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2001 7:52 am    

Check the "Volume Control" panel (most computers have a speaker icon on the lower right task bar tray - just click on that).

There is separate level controls for the CD and for the external line.

If the levels are still unequal, after setting the levels, you can use a program such as GoldWave and equalize the levels so they are all approximately the same.

I use Audiograbber rather than MMJ for ripping from CD's and it also has a function to equalize the levels from the CD's so they are all about the same level.

Dennis Nordin

Russellville, AR U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2001 1:02 pm    

Jack, the volume control seems to only affect the speaker volume not the recorded volume. My goal is to record tracks from cassette or turntable, burn it to CD, then when I play the CD in my big system the volume will be the same as any other CD. Right now the signal from the cassette deck and turntable are a lot weaker than straight from CD and it carries over into the final product. I thought maybe there was some way to boost the recored signal to the same level as a CD when making the wav file. As I understand you were saying Goldwave will boost wav volume after making the file but before burning it to CD? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dennis

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2001 2:05 pm    

I don't believe you can go directly from the turntable to the sound card input. You need a preamp in between to boost the signal.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2001 2:58 pm    

Dennis, you use the "line input" on your sound card for either the tape or turntable. As Jim mentioned many turntables have a lower output so there may be a difference between a tape deck and the turntable. The "Line in" slider (level control) in the Volume Control panel controls the input level. Also once you "record" a wav file, there is a separate slider volume controls for playback of a wav file and the CD. Depending on how the two volume controls are set could have a large difference between the two.

However, once you have the song recorded on the hard drive, you can run it through a program, such as GoldWave and adjust the levels to whatever you want. You could also do that with the ones ripped from CD so they would all be the same level for recording.

Keep the five processes separate. The songs that you extract (rip) from a CD is done digitally and should be at the level on the CD. However, not all CD's have the same volume level so songs that you rip from different CD's may be at different volume levels. Some ripping programs have an option to set the level of the ripped songs to a set reference. This is one process.

The second process is "recording" from a tape deck, and the line input level comes into play with this operation, as far as PC record level and this level will probably be different than the CD level and the turntable level.

The third process is recording from a turntable. It is basically the same as recording from a tape deck, as it uses the same line input.

The fourth process is taking each individual wav file and using a program such as GoldWave to set the levels of each wav file to the same level.

The fifth process is burning the songs (wav files) to the CD. Since you have compensated and adjusted the levels of each wav to the same (approx) level they should all be the same. When you playback the burned CD all the songs should be at the same approx level.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2001 7:01 pm    

Turntables will present a problem. You need a pre-amp. Or just use your stereo -- run a line from the headphone out.

You CAN adjust the record levels.

Double-click the Volume Control in the System Tray (or get to it from Control Panel).

Select Options . . Properties

Check "Recording" not "Playback"

Make sure the input you're using (probably Line In) is selected. Adjust the recording level.

Another thing that might work for the turntable. Instead of going to Line In, go to Microphone In.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Dennis Nordin

Russellville, AR U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2001 4:28 am    

Thanks guys for the help. I do already have the turntable and cassette deck connected to my main stereo and running from there to my sound card line in. I just didn't know how to get a consistant recorded volume level from CD to turntable or cassette. I will try all the suggestions and also try GoldWave. Sounds like a good program to use with these projects. Thanks, Dennis

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2001 7:52 am    

Dennis,
I have just been transcribing old records to CD, and had good luck coming out of the 'line out' on the stereo reciever to the 'line in' on my sound card. Then follow the instructions in the other replies to adjust the volume on computer. If you still need more gain, you can use your headphone out, and play with the volume. I've experimented with both, but get a more uniform signal with the 'line out'.
If you need to clean up scratches, try Depopper. The 30 day trial program is fully functional, and it does an amazing job. http://www.droidinfo.com/software/depopper/index.html There are also alot of programs to record with. I tried Dart CD Recorder with good results. Also Polderbits. both have free trials, and let you record a full side of a record in one shot and then break it into individual tracks. Many programs do this, but if you're on a budget you can't beat free.....Good luck

[This message was edited by Tommy Mc on 06 June 2001 at 08:55 AM.]

Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2001 6:24 pm    

It sounds to me that you need to view your Windows Multimedia Mixer... try Start/Settings/Control panel/Multimedia/
Then click on the Mic Icon in the lower window for Recording ...a mixer should appear..select which level you want to change...In most cases levels should not have to be raised past halfway or you might get a hiss or distortion...experiment till you get the right setting and put your Sound Recorder on your desktop ...so you can get to it quickly to make adjustments... Hope this helps a bit...Bill in Vegas

Dennis Nordin

Russellville, AR U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2001 6:11 am    

Thanks again for the information. I should be able to solve my problem now. I will look at the various prgrams to see what best suits my needs. Sounds like there are a lot of good programs available that I had no knowledge of. Thanks, Dennis