The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  'Live365' Internet Radio problem
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2001 2:21 pm    

I can listen to Live365 ok, but i have noticed a weird problem with it. Theres a window that displays the last 3 tracks, and this gets updated at the end of each track of course. When the track ends, what happens is the field goes blank and my browser locks up for 20 to 30 seconds and only unfreezes once the field is filled again with the update track list. When I say 'freezes', what I mean is that if I have another window open (which I usually do - e.g I'm reading the forum or ebay in one window and listening to Live365 in the other one) then that other window won't take link actions (left click and right click don't work) but as soon as the track list is updated again its ok.
I have tried using both Netscape and Internet Explorer and the same thing happens. I reported this to Live365 tech support & got nowhere.
Does anyone else recognise this syndrome ?

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2001 8:50 am    

my guess is net sloth-and poor application coding...
real player or whatever app you are using to connect to live 365 is trying so hard to communicate over a clogged internet that it interferes with your browser updating pages...
just my guess though- others more knowledgable than I in the ways of the web may know for sure

mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2001 12:20 pm    

Dave
the actual audio streaming doesnt stop other windows from working at all - I only get the problem when the track list has to be updated (which sometimes happens in between tracks when there isn't even any streaming).
I'm convinced its a feature of the Live365 service itself - but I need to find someone else who's seeing the same problem.
Beats me why updating a text field should cause such a big deal. Of course, if you're just listening to the station and not trying to use the browser for something else at the same time you'd never notice it anyway.
Mick