The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Can I Build My Own DSL ??
Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 12:49 pm    

Can someone please tell me what I need to "procure" to set up my own DSL Modem.

Here's the deal.........I live too far from the telephone company, so they won't sell me the service. However, they tell me that If I had the gear, It WOULD help me out a lot. As it is, I can only connect at 26400. So.......If I know what to get, and set it up I would be happy, I thnk. Don't realy know.

So could some one PLEEEEZ hip me up to what I need to do.

Thanx All

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 2:19 pm    

C Allen, If you own a DSL modem you've still got to have DSL service at the phone company central office. It's a type of service that requires special equipment at both ends.

When they tell you that you live too far for DSL, it means that there is too much wire between you and the phone company. The DSL signal, which has a much broader bandwidth than voice, gets attenuated too much to be usable.

I think what they must have meant regarding "if you had the gear" was that if you DID have DSL it would help a lot. Problem is you don't and you can't get it. Kind of like if I had million bucks I'd be rich, but I don't .

Does your local cable company offer broadband service? Check with them, it might be available and would give you a huge performance improvement. Or you could always move closer to Ma Bell...

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 2:54 pm    

Along with what Bill said, you must be in an area with substantial hops to the phone companies central office if 26.4 is all the speed you can get. This would say your phone line is very marginal for data.

DSL requires you to be within 18000 ft of the telco central office and no repeaters between you and the telco central office.

I have a friend about 20 miles east of me that is in a similar situation. He connects at 28.8 and can't get any faster. He's talked to the phone company and it's just the lines and repeaters in his area.

Your only hope for higher speed, currently, is cable or possibly satellite.

Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 3:02 pm    

Besides the other fine responses, there is also the fact that DSL modems are generally not interchangeable between different central offices. Most must be matched to the DSLAM (DSLAggregatorModule) in the CO. For example, a Fujitsu DSLAM requires a Fujitsu DSL modem. Actually, it's made by Orckit for Fujitsu but you get the point.

It wouldn't be like buying a v.90 modem, for example, that would work on any voice line.

Regards,
Jeff

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 4:51 pm    

Jeff, interesting you should bring up interoperability, I've spent most of the last 6 months dealing with that problem.

I work at Cisco on the DSLAM product line and while most of our line card code is chipset independent, we have to deal with certain CPEs that are essentially non-standards compliant. We actually have huge chunks of code that read:

if (vendor_x) {
//do something totally different here
}

This is with a so-called approved standard in place. It's absolutely nuts....

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 9:08 pm    

OK.........Both parents retired as upper level managment Bell Pioneers. So.......I've picked up some stuff through "osmosis".
I can get around my BIOS real well. I can get around m OS real well, but..........I don't get this networking thing. (permanent brain fart!!!!) And, I know that DSL is fundimentaly a network thing. My sis, who too works for the fone co, as some kind of engineer tells me the same dumb thing. If I had the gear, it would work.

Cable is not an option. The comunity that I live in has it's own "captured" system, and I have checked into satelite, and that seems too embrionic to be of any value. (They tell me that it needs phone to talk, and it receives only via satelite. Not very efficient, and I still have basicly the same 26400 prob. at more cost.)
The "techs" at the local computer store have told me that I can built, with an Ethernet Card, and some kind of hub thing. They do know what they are talking about, but they talk way over my head.
Als, lets address the fact thatyou can now buy a system at Wal-Mart, for example with a DSL modem included.

Now I realy don't mean to sound bovine, but I just don't get it.

I do know about repeaters, and they don't expect to have them in my area of the Woodlands, Texas before 2002.

Help!!! Ineed a solution to a slow dial up.

I do by the way understand about copper as oppsed to fiber, I get it with pairs, and with the 18000 foot thing.

So, Like I've said I don't mean to sound bovine, but I just don't get it, and I need a solution.

Thanx Ya'll

bon chance

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2001 3:59 am    

My DSL "modem" is a Fjuitsu. It doesn't say who made it but it does say made in Israel.

My LEC is Verizon (used to be GTE) so that is the standard they are using.

When you build 3rd party devices, or devices that will handle other vendor's proprietary devices you have to engineer in quite a bit more.

Before I retired, I managed a large Token Ring LAN network and WAN network. The LAN network was basic "vanilla" IBM Token Ring. The Token Ring NIC cards made a big difference in operation. The IBM cards (Micro channel or ISA) although higher priced worked the best - no hassles. Most of the other NIC card vendors were not as easy to integrate. I remember Olicom as one of the worst (both their NIC cards and Token Ring Bridge software).

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2001 6:15 am    

You can't use DSL if the service isn't available in your area, period. Just like you can't watch cable TV if cable isn't available in your area.

The satellite option might work for you. Since the phone is used only for what you send. If you're like most people you receive hundreds or thousands of times more data than you send, so the only slowdowns you'd probably see would be sending email. You would receive email very fast and web pages will load like greased lightning.

Another option worth checking on is two way satellite. It's more expesive than the regular one way at around $80 per month, but it sounds like the only available option if you must have more speed for sending data.

Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2001 4:01 pm    

Bill,

Quote:
This is with a so-called approved standard in place. It's absolutely nuts....

I hear ya. At least, I could if I had a standards-compliant ear Maybe Glite, huh? LOL

Regards,
Jeff

erik

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2001 8:01 am    

Some networks are installing 'DSL Gateways' in populated neighborhoods to service more customers. This effectively works as a small, yet remote 'central office'. DSL is better than cable because it is transmitted across a private line whereas cable data is shared amonst many households. I want to get DSL for my computer but $50-month is too steep. Between $30-40 i'd jump on it.