The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  what's this: "illegaal operation..."
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2001 11:34 pm    

The past two days I have not been able to call up any message on The Forum. When I click on anything, I get a notice that says I've performed an "illegal operation" and that Netscape has a "stack fault" or some such thing follwed by a bunch of numbers. I have never had any problems with this computer until now. Could anyone tell me what the might be wrong and how I can correct it? Thanks,
Steve

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 8:35 am    

Something is wrong with your installation of Netscape. Either that or you've got a virus. Nothing has changed at the Forum server that could cause anything like that.

------------------

-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 9:53 am    

Every now and then, IE gets screwed up and starts giving Illegal Operations, too.

Usually, this resolves itself within a day or two (probably after a few re-boots).

Some things I can just NEVER figure out. Like, why does my setting for "always dial my default connection" under Tools . . Internet Options . . Connections keep getting reset to "Never dial a connection" every few days?

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Mike Dennis

Stevens Point WI.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 11:15 am    

Most of the time it is just a glitch...

ignore and re boot

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 12:17 pm    

Could there be some kind of 'New' Cultural Revolution going on??

steve takacs

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2001 9:52 pm    

Sorry, Steve F., b0b wins the prize...he guessed that a virus caused the havoc, and indeed it did. The Norton Antivirus program did not kill it, so one of my colleagues went into the files and noodled around and did snuff it out, and got me connected to The Forum. ..."and he lived happily everafter." Thanks to all those who suggested solutions. Steve T.

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2001 8:15 pm    

Steve, I was getting the same "illegal" message and contacted AOL. Their response = some corruption in the AOL 6.0 software (theirs). Suggested solution = delete 6.0, get a new 6.0 Cd, reinstall (but loosing your "favorite places" and mailing list
Then I started getting some un solicited AOL upgrades when I signed off, an voila! haven't had the problem lately. Go figure.

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 9:29 pm    

I started getting the same "illegal Operation, will be shut down" message about 2 weeks ago right after I started using Netscape Navigator. Also, I recieved an email entitled "Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs", later, that I figured was bogus so I deleted it. I'm not at all computer savy, but everything was cool until I decided to use the netscape thing. Then all of a sudden I can't get past my desktop wallpaper because of the "illegal operation" sign. The tech support at Gateway got me through about 4 hours of tests, trials, and tribulations, and back to where I can email and surf (so far). They did say, however, there is a virus within, probably email. I won't be emailing till my i get this bug kilt.--Skip

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 5:50 am    

Skip, the "Snow White" email is a virus that creates destructive "worms" in your computer. Simply deleting the email doesn't rid the worms from the computer. I am forwarding an email to you with information about the virus.

Keith DeLong

Dartmouth NS Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2001 5:47 pm    

Some one sent me the Snow White attachment, fortunately I deleted the email before I opened the attachment and hopefully avoided the virus. I have been sent other attachments containing viruses but the McAfee antivirus stopped me from opening them. I was just told of a new one, a screensaver containing the Budweiser frogs, which is a really murderous one.
Keith

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2001 5:35 am    

The Budweiser Frogs is a hoax. It's been circulating around the internet for a couple of years.

Keith DeLong

Dartmouth NS Canada
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2001 8:24 am    

Thanks Jack, this is one time I'm glad to be wrong. This virus thing is unnerving, though-I got an attachment with an Alanis Morrisette Screensaver that did have a virus in it. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2001 2:17 pm    

Get IE. I was once a strong beleiver in Netscape, until I discovered IE4. I now have IE5.5 and unless something really good comes out, I would NEVER convert back.

Jonathan

------------------
www.cullifer.com

steve takacs

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2001 9:14 pm    

Fred, Do you mean to say that even if the wormy Snow White were not opened it could still pose a threat even if it were deleted?

Jonathan, where can I get IE 5.5. Does anyone else use it? I do use Netscape now. Is Netscape that inferior a browser? Microsoft would not have made Windos 98 to be incompatible with Netscape, would it? Just my devious mind at work.
Thanks boys, Steve

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2001 5:11 am    

Download IE 5.5 by clicking: HERE!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Jimmy Campbell

Fayette, Alabama.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2001 7:33 pm    

I use Netscape at home, this is what my internet service set up for me.
When I had them set me up at my office they put IE on the computer. I have the new 5.5 at the office.
If I download the 5.5 at home how can I change it from Netscape to IE for my internet server.
I am not a computer guru, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express one time.
Jimmy

HWHYoYo

West Sunbury, PA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2001 10:17 pm    

I had the illegal operation problem. I ended up running the restore disc that came with the computer and starting over from scratch.