The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Band-in-a-box is a GREAT learning tool
Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 11:51 am    

This won't be news to anyone who already has it, but if you're on the fence about getting band-in-a-box, get it!

I'm trying to learn jazz on my U12 and don't have a band to play with. I'm not there yet, but my playing has definitely improved in the 2 mos I've had this thing, and there's times when I can almost tolerate listening to myself!

It's like playing with real folks in a lot of ways... even though you don't get the interaction with living musicians, it keeps better time than many; when you mess up, the tune just keeps moving along; you can't stop or slow down; you have to make the best out of whatever solo you came up with.

In other words, it teaches you what you don't know real fast, and you can go back to work on it later. Highly recommended, especially if you're trying to stretch out and play a type of music that your band doesn't play.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 12:16 pm    

I'm moving this to the computer area. Most of the BIAB discussions show up there.

Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 10:41 pm    

Dirk
I use Biab for learning numbers. I slow it down to a crawl and record the song to cassette without pitch change. I have an old Kereoke machine I use for playback during practice so I can adjust the pitch if needed. If you don't like a key, you can change it. This is only the tip of the iceberg. It's unbelievable what this program can do and the the sound it produces. I recommend biab to anyone.
Joe

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2001 5:50 am    

BIAB can be found at:
www.pgmusic.com

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2001 9:01 pm    

I am working on a 6 string song that comes with biab megapack in the country guitar solo folder. It's a flat picking guitar solo with mostly 16th notes at 144 beats per minute. That's four notes in about 4/10's of a second. For me, it's mind-boggling. Way too fast to read or even think about. Has to be memorized to play without thinking about it.

Biab allows slowing it down to play along speed while learning it. I printed out the lead/tab sheet as a help and have found some mistakes in it compared to the actual notes played. Biab has some trouble with gliss notes and the print out is incorrect here and there. Never the less, what a great tool.

I midi'd it out to cakewalk so I can play along with the guitar, or mute it and play along with just the backup. Just another great thing about biab. It's an amazing tool even for us been there/done that old bar musicians.