The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Saving the Profex II settings...
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 9:36 am    

First, my thanks to everyone who was so helpful with my recent 'scanner' question!

I'm sure I read (when I first joined the Forum) about a way of 'saving' the programs in the Profex II. I've started with the 'Newman' card, but modified, re-named and relocated the ones I actually USE so much that it'd be a nightmare if the battery went down now! Apparently, changing the battery wipes everything anyway, so I need to do something.
How do I transfer the settings to my PC? I'm afraid I'm only very basically 'literate', and I remember that what I read at the time went over my head!
Thanks for any help you can give me!

Roger Rettig

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 5:11 pm    

You would need a MIDI program that can handle SYSEX commands and a way to save the dump from the Profex II and then a way to upload it again. And a MIDI cable and a MIDI port on your computer (most gameports can also be used as MIDI ports).

I've toyed with some of it but never got anything to work to my satisfaction. I do have some files from another forumite that I am going to try with a trial version of Cakewalk, to see if it will work. But I've never been able to do more than get one SYSEX command to do something - I don't know what to my Transtube Fex.

If you get down to having to buy MIDI cables and MIDI software just to save another set of programs, it would be cheaper to just buy a second Peavey memory card. e.g. Cakewalk is about $200 plus whatever the MIDI cable would cost vs around $80 for a new Peavey memory card.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 6:29 pm    

I've used MIDI-Ox from http://members.nbci.com/midiox/index.htm for a couple of years and have no problems up or downloading Sysex data. In fact I just downloaded the newest version which was released yesterday. The program is free and the MIDI soundcard cable is around $20.

It's pretty straightforward but if you can't figure it out, let me know. Note: the installation notes talk about installing a MIDI Yoke driver. For just loading and saving Sysex data, this isn't needed.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 4:55 am    

Jim, I must have something wrong. I've tried Midi-Ox and several other Sysex programs with little or no success.

I'm using a SoundBlaster AWE64 for the MIDI port, which appears to be working OK as I can communicate with the Transtube Fex. That would also seem to say the MIDI cable is good.

It also seems relatively primitive as the hex data that is sent back has to be decoded. That reminds me of 1973 when I was programming in machine language and had to decode Octal data commands. We should be more advanced than that by now.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 5:53 am    

Jack, you didn't say anything about decoding the data. I use it just to save and reload all settings. You'd need a patch editor if you want to edit the patches, and I'm not aware of any for Peavey products. I haven't found a good (and cheap) editor for the equipment I use either.