The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording cassette tapes
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 8:13 pm    

I am looking for a software program that will allow me to record from the headphone jack of my tapeplayer to the line-in jack of the computer. ( I have a t-pad to reduce the voltage level down to line-input levels) Prefer a program that records the audio as a "WAV" file. I do not wish to go from the tape-player stright to the CD burner. I want to be able to store the "WAV" file on the computer.

Any help here would be wonderful.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 8:17 pm    

Sound-Recorder will do it, but there's a trick to recording more than 30 seconds (or is that a minute?), and I forget what it is at the moment.

Plus, it's not exactly user-friendly.

Cool-Edit works great. Download a trial version here: http://www.syntrillium.com

The trial version simply limits some of the functionality. I haven't played with all the bells and whistles.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 9:33 pm    

Bill-- I've been using TOTAL RECORDER for some time, now, and like it very much. It basically gives you the ability to record whatever goes thru your sound card. Similar to what some of the high-end SoundBlaster cards can do. The program is fairly small, can be downloaded and 'registered' for $12.
www.highcriteria.com
It is especially good at recording stuff 'streamed' off the internet. It also is the only way I've been able to include my own music with BandInABox even though BIAB is supposed to have that functionality. --Ev

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 9:34 pm    

GoldWave will let you record it too. It is a shareware but the trial version is fully functional. Goldwave will let you save it as a wav file or as an MP3.
http://www.goldwave.com

What s/w do you have with your CD burner?? If you have adaptec, you have a program to "record" to a wav file and then later assemble the songs in whatever order you want to put on CD

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2001 7:26 pm    

Thanks Jack.....

The Goldwave seems to be the one I was looking for. I will now send for the registered package and get the Manuals and all. This try befor buy thing seems to be the way to go, (read this as shareware) I have had several shareware software packages that far exceeeded my expectations.

The Adaptec package you mentioned is a "purchase only" software package,not the stuff that comes with your CDR-RW package.

You do not have the "record" function with the standard package. A friend let me try his "Professional" package and I still like the "Goldwave" software stuff enought to purchase it as to useing the freebie "Adeptec" version.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2001 3:29 pm    

I have the Adaptec EZ CD Creator 4. It has all the bells and whistles. The Adaptec EZ CD creator seems to have become the most commonly used CD software. Many of the new PC's that have CD burners in the also come with the Adaptec.