The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Computer IE question
Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 1:45 pm    

I just purchased a new computer 866 speed, 40 gig hard drive, 256 ram, soundblaster live, 10 speed cd burner. I would like to transfer my address book and my favorites to this new computer. Does anyone know what the file names are and what sub dir they are in. Is there anything else I would have to do to transfer them to the new computer.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 2:13 pm    

Dan:
Your Favorites are found in a folder named "Favorites" in your Windows directory. Your Address Book is a wab file. Not sure where to look for it. Could be in Outlook or in Program Files under "Common Files". Could do a search using the "Find" application. Also, there could be more than one wab file that you need to transfer.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 2:14 pm    

Graham, I deleted the duplicate posts.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 08 January 2001 at 03:06 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 3:04 pm    

If you used outlook express with the old system and are going to use outlook express with the new one, you can "export" your address book to a file, and for ease just export the file to the floppy diskette. then you can "import" the address book into your new system.

Click on File in Outlook Express and then click on import/export and follow the instructions.

As far as the favorites, I.E. has a similar setup to Import and Export favorites. Click on file then import/export and follow the directions. You can save that file to the same floppy you save your address book to.

After you get done exporting/importing, save that floppy as a backup for your address book in case there is a problem and it gets wiped out.

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 5:23 am    

Thanks for the info Guys. Jack I tried your method, however I had to have the address book open to export it as a WAB file. If the address book is not open it exports a CSV file. The favorites worked without a problem. I might add that I am running Windows ME 2000. Now if you guys can tell me how to play like Buddy or Paul.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 6:42 am    

Dan, just hold on for a little longer, I've just about got both of them figured out.