The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Hacker's Target
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 4:53 pm    

Here's an interesting article on hacking into Microsoft:
www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/14344.html

It seems that some of these annoying email worms are actually part of criminal hackers' efforts to gain access for profit.

Never run email attachments. Never. Even if they're from me.

------------------

-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 5:38 pm    

Or get Outlook 2000 with the security updates. The security updates will not let you run an exe, Active X, etc., even if you wanted to - just won't let you do it.

That seems a little overkill, but it can save your butt.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 6:10 pm    

I got the security updates for Outlook 2000 as part of the Office 2000 service pack. Now I can't figure out how to receive an executable when I want to. I can see that there is an attachment by the paper clip on the message but when I try to save it, it says there are no attachments. Anyone know how to at least selectively turn that off?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 3:44 am    

Jim, once the security update is installed, it's bascially all over. They have categories for different files and the .exe is in the category that can't be modified.

I know, it sucks as they don't give you any option on certain types of files. Microsoft was taking a lot of heat for the security holes and it looks like they over reacted. It will protect the dummies, but it puts a crimp in legitimate operations.

My suggestion would be to have Outlook Express also installed and if you knew someone was going to send you an .exe, use the outlook express to receive the message.

Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 12:18 pm    

Sorry, but instead of trying to stay ahead of the myriad Outlook/OE security holes, why not get a security-aware e-mail client?

Both Poco and The Bat are shareware apps without the most glaring holes in MS products, are smaller, offer more useful features, and ship with more secure default settings. Let's face it, not many folks stay current with MS patches and rarely change from default configurations.

Also, users would be wise to remove Windows Scripting Host from their systems, disable *all* ActiveX, enable display of all file extensions, and never, ever, use HTML in e-mail.