The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C" Drive Capacity
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 7:11 am    

My "C" drive has 2GB capacity and is riding almost full. It is a pain to keep 100MB free on there at all times, but I manage.

I added 3 more 2GB drives last year which answers my storage needs for the present.

I would like to purchase a new "C" drive with a higher capacity and transfer data on my present "C" over to the new. Is that possible?

Any suggestions?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 7:22 am    

A 2GB drive, anymore, is obsolete. You can buy a 10GB for less than $100 (US) and a 20GB for about $120.

As far as what your machine will accept depends on the BIOS and your operating system. If you are using WIN98 or ME, the software will work with the higher capacity drives. The big thing is the BIOS and it's capability. If your PC is relatively new and came with WIN98 installed from the vendor it probably will accept the larger drives. However, if it is an older BIOS it may not recognize anything over 2.4GB. But there are software programs that will fake out the BIOS and let you install higher capacity units.

Another option, if you have an older BIOS and or operating system is to partition a larger drive into 2.4Gb partitions, which is what many did in older systems.

Many of the new drives come with software that will automate the installation setup and install the necessary software, if needed, to handle the new drive and it's capacity. If you buy a larger drive make sure the necessary software comes with it.

You may also want to check the PC vendor's web site and see if there is a BIOS update available.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 7:22 am    

Hi, Roy. I recently added a 20 gig HD which is actually now my "D" drive. Left my original C drive as it was but use it for programs only. Use the new 20 gig hd strictly for storage of my music.
My original was only 4.3 gig but that is plenty of space for the programs I run. Still have about 3.1 gig free.

Happy New Year!!

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 8:00 am    

After considering your replys it would appear to me that my best answer would be to buy a new computer system.
If I do that is it possible to transfer everything over from my present system to the new?

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 8:41 am    

Depending on your system, it may be cheaper to just change your motherboard, which would give you an updated Bios. That is what I did at a cost of $105.00 Can. Used my present pentium chip and memory and all cards etc. The new board accepted the new hard drive, no problem. I am using an IBM clone with an AT motherboard, as I don't like the onboard video, soundcards etc. found on the ATX type motherboards. Some of them (like the Pentium 433 ATX I bought the wife) will not let you disable the onboard peripheals and add your own.

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 8:47 am    

Quote:
I don't like the onboard video, soundcards etc. found on the ATX type motherboards.
That's an untrue generalization. I currently use a BP6 ATX motherboard, have used ASUS motherboards in the past, and neither have onboard video or soundcards. In fact the only place I have seen onboard devices is in prebuilt systems from major vendors like Compaq.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 9:21 am    

Jim:
The computer I bought for the wife was built by the same fella who did mine. It came with a Data Excel ATX board with onboard peripherals as mentioned above. The board is designed for Pentium 11/111 processors. As of now, I have not been able to find anywhere in CMOS where I can disable the onboards and add my own cards to the system.
I would hazard a guess that most systems built today, whether by the big companies or the neighborhood computer store are using ATX boards with onboard peripherals, and further, almost all towers I have seen at the store I deal with are ATX type cases. Have not seen a big AT tower in quite some time and my AT board will not fit into an ATX case which is specifically designed for the ATX boards (they have a cut-out where you plug in your mouse, speakers etc.), so I am limited to having the front panel add-ons I have now as I have no open slots to add more.

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 10:55 am    

Roy, the real trick with copying your C drive is that it has the operating system on it. Copying your program data to another drive is no problem - you can do that with Windows Explorer. But if you want to replace the C drive you will need to reinstall the operating system and all of your programs on the new drive.

Here's how I would do it:
  1. Copy all of the data that you want to preserve to your D or E drive.
  2. Make sure you have the original disks for Windows and for all of your programs.
  3. Install the new drive in the machine.
  4. Install Windows on it.
  5. Re-install your application programs.

You will probably have problems with any applications that you've installed on D or E, because the registry will not recognize them. It would be a good idea to re-install them as well.

Bottom line is that it can be done, but it's sort of tedious. And believe me, I know tedious!

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 1:00 pm    

Lots of good information for me on this thread. Thank you all so much.
If I had more forthsight when I got my system five years ago I would not be in this situation now.
b0b you laid it out very well. I will be looking for a whole new deal in the month ahead with at least 30GB.
I am printing all the responses. Very much appreciated and Happy New Year all.
Roy

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 2:29 pm    

File transfer, Old Drive to new Drive http://www.pcmech.com/file_transfer.htm

------------------
ree-oo-dee-doo

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 7:56 am    

I have found that if the motherboard dosen't have features in the bios to defeat the on-board audio/video/mouse/functions, there usually is a "JUMPER" set-up on the board to disable such. I setup several such systems for a local goverment operation that didn't wish to use the on-board video hardware due to vendor supplied software.

You might look over the motherboard for these "JUMPERS". Haveing the owners manual for the system board would be of upmost value too.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 10:28 pm    

If using Windows 9x, unless you need to retain a lot of trash in the recycle bin, right-click on its icon, choose properties, and set the maximum size for it to 1%. The default value is 10%.
I recently did this on a buddy's machine, that he uses for hard disk multitrack recording, with a new 30 Gbyte drive. The 10% default value was holding back 3 Gbytes of otherwise useful storage space.
Good Luck, anyhow!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 9:51 am    

I never knew about that setting, Rich. Thanks!

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 4:45 pm    

Here's a super source for all kinds of tips for streamlining your windows
http://www.jefflevy.com/

[This message was edited by Cairo Zoots on 06 January 2001 at 04:50 PM.]

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 9:57 pm    

Hi Cairo! How's the TEAC? Geeze, where did you discover Jeff Levy? I used to listen to his computer show on KFI, when I was down in L.A., and he had the most consise and useful information on that subject of any computer talk show on the air. No doubt he still does.
Bobby, you're welcome. Seems there's always more to Windoze than meets the eye. And less!