The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Notebook PC Recommendations?
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 5:42 pm    

Do you'ns' have any favorite notebook brands or good experiences that you can recommend, given this application:

A lot of number crunching and scientific/technical graphing on the fly. I need speed and ~128-256MB RAM with probably a PIII or faster processor. I like the Toshibas I've seen, but Compaqs, IBMs, etc. look good.

Also, any thoughts you may have about the advantages/disadvantages of using a docking station for use in the office would be appreciated. I've heard of some whack-o communications and interrupt difficulties with these things.

Any thoughts?

Thank'uns.
Steve

What??? This is the Steel Guitar Forum??

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 7:06 pm    

Compared to desktops I haven't liked any laptop that I've tried, but if you're going with a company that needs you to have one, they should supply it for you.

Allen

Littleton, CO USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 3:22 pm    

Well let me tell you a story. My IBM Think Pad is laying in the corner dead. After only 14 months and less than 500 hours, it quit. The store where I bought it and IBM would not talk to me, since it was out of warranty. If and when I replace it, I am looking hard at the Sony and Dell line. I know many owners that are very happy with them.

------------------
Allen Harry
Littleton, Colorado

Pete Wilson

Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 3:34 pm    

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100, with which I am very happy. In the office I use it with a "Port Replicator" (sort of a slimmed down docking ststion) which contains the network adaptor and a better video adaptor to drive a larger monitor. The display on the Toshiba is great though, and I only use a monitor when I'm running aps that need screen size greater than 1024 x 768.

Only negative about this is that one pays a significant premium over a similarly powered desktop PC.

Also you should run Windows 2000 rather than 98/Millenium. Win2K support for PCMCIA, power management, hibernation, etc. works great on the Toshiba.

And... you can use it as a DVD player for long plane rides.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 5:02 pm    

Thanks all. And Pete - You hit the nail on the head. I will probably go with a Tecra 8100 running W2K because one important application requires it. The whole idea was to have the mobility, but then run a monitor on the desktop for 1024 x 768. The idea of an upgraded video card and network card in the docking station is a new thought to me, but it makes great sense!

What is this 'port replicator'? Is that a Toshiba product?