The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any new Forum problems?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 12:08 am    

I think that we'll get some cookie-related complaints, but other than that do you notice any Forum problems since the move Saturday? Everything working okay?

------------------

-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 12:23 am    

Hey Bob everything is working on the "Kinkos" computer real good. I'm out of town and stopped to check mail(forgot my road computer);and don't see any problems on this end.
Ricky

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 3:22 am    

b0b, I had to go in and access my profile and enter my username and password before my username and password automatically got filled in on this reply.

I guess that has to do with cookies.

I'm using WIN ME with I.E. 5.5

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 5:00 am    

Yeah, I had to enter my name and PW. I'll try another post and see if it sticks.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 5:04 am    

Yep, it stuck. I also re-entered my preferences.
Could be the hour but it's really zipping along right now. Should there be any speed improvement or am I just the only person on the net right now?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 5:35 am    

Another problem, None of the new posts, since I last logged on, showed up in red. I didn't notice on the main page if it gave me a last time I logged on message. May still be some cookie problems.

Since this is a "new" message, I'm going to exit the forum and then reenter and see if I get the last time I logged on message. If I don't get the last time I logged on message and there are no new posts, I'll delete the forum cookies and then log back on and let it send a new set and see if that corrects it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 5:48 am    

Everything seems to be OK, after re-entering except this thread did not show a new (red) marker.

I'm going to delete the forum cookies and then try it again.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 6:35 am    

I deleted one b0b.com cookie, the only one I could find. It wiped out my name/password but there must be more than one cookie for the forum as that's all it changed. It still recognized I had been here before, the main page still showed new items in several categories, however, the threads themselves still show yellow, where there is a new post????

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 6:35 am    

I deleted one b0b.com cookie, the only one I could find. It wiped out my name/password but there must be more than one cookie for the forum as that's all it changed. It still recognized I had been here before, the main page still showed new items in several categories, however, the threads themselves still show yellow, where there is a new post????

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 9:34 am    

I see posts from yesterday as early as 11 AM. I checked several times yesterday and could get to b0b.com, see the Tunings, Articles, etc. but always got the "Forum Down" page when I tried to get to the forum.

Finally this morning I can see the forum, but no red light bulbs for new messages. I had to reset my preferences for remembering my password and the number of days to show messages. It remembered my profile but didn't automatically paste my user name and password in new posts and replies until after I looked at my profile.

Good job b0b and congratulations on getting it back up and running ahead of schedule!

[This message was edited by Jim Smith on 10 December 2000 at 09:35 AM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 9:35 am    

That's all cookie stuff, Jack. The old cookie was set to www.b0b.com and the new one is just b0b.com. There will be some confusion for a while, but after you come in through the front page at www.b0b.com/forum several times things should be back to normal.

The cookie stores your last login time and, if you set your preferences, your username and password. The last login time is used to set the lightbulbs and colored folders. That login time only gets updated when you enter through the front page.

I don't know why it takes a few times to "stick", though.

------------------

-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 4:12 am    

b0b, I always go throug the Forum entry point. I'm still not seeing the red folder on threads that have new posts, since the last time I logged on.

I even went into preferences and deleted all the forum cookies and have logged in several times since.

Also, the forum summary page does not show any indicator in the left column if I select an area and then go back to the summary page.
When I first enter the indicators and yellow if there is something new is displayed.
Control/F5 to force it to load a current version doesn't help.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 11 December 2000 at 05:46 AM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 9:13 am    

You shouldn't have to delete cookies at all. As a matter of fact, manually deleting the cookie could really confuse the program.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 9:18 am    

Now that I'm back home; I've been on and off here more than 5 times and I'm still not getting the new(red)folders either.
I'm getting the Light bulb (on) showing new post in each category; but the red folder in each section is still not working(just yellow).
I never delete any Forum cookies and it is remembering my profile/username/password etc.......>but that's the last little thing about the folders it's not doing yet.
I know that's a small issue and I don't have any problem with that>just passin info.
Forum seems normal and reacts like it used to no problem.
Ricky

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 9:36 am    

Ok it worked b0b.
I did what you said in the Feedback area.
Just go to profile and enter your profile and don't change anything; then submit edit profile; then close your browser and re-enter from start page> www.b0b.com/forum and red folders are now "Happenin'"
Thanks.
Ricky

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 11:58 am    

I went to a differant server so I had to change my e-mail address anyway. It all works well.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 9:27 am    

Somebuddy done ate my C kies.!!!
Make the next batch Pecan....Thanx b0b !
Steel Kooky....

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 10:05 am    

I got the red flags working on my home PC, but now there are too many. For example as I write this, this post showed a red flag indicating CrowBear's 9:27 AM post although the main page shows that I last visited at 9:45 AM and read that message when it first appeared. It showed red then but still does after refreshing and reading other messages. In other posts there will be one new messages but others up to an hour or two old also still show red.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 10:55 am    

The cookie doesn't track which messages you've read. It just keeps track of the last time you entered the Forum through the www.b0b.com/forum entrance page.

It would be way too expensive to track every message you've read.

[This message was edited by b0b on 12 December 2000 at 10:57 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 11:04 am    

I guess I didn't explain it very well. When I click on a forum area with the yellow light bulb indicating new message(s) since my last visit, messages up to two hours old show up with the red folder even though I read them two hours ago and have refreshed the screen which updates my last visit time.

I just went back and checked. Apparently I held my tongue right and got the red folders to appear around 8 AM this morning. All messages since then still have the red folder even though my last visit time updates every time I refresh the main forum screen. Closing and restarting the browser fixed the neverending red folders but now new messages aren't showing in red again.

It seems that the two different cookies are getting confused. I just came in again through www.b0b.com/forum and that cookie showed my last visit time as 7:58 AM, explaining why all messages since then stayed red. Perhaps refreshing with F5 from the main forum page is updating the wrong cookie?

[This message was edited by Jim Smith on 12 December 2000 at 11:28 AM.]

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 1:03 pm    

Y'all check my prayer to Lothar, god of restless computers, found elsewhere. Seems to have worked for me.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 2:24 pm    

Okay I said the prayer and (so far) it's working!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 2:43 pm    

Watch out for the hand people!

Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 3:27 pm    

Bob,

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but everything seems great, except for the 'getdaily' link at the top of the forum page. Comes back to me with 0 of 0 topics.
I'm seeing the red lights fine since changing the entry page.

Good job, it looks great, and the pictures are cool

Tom

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 3:30 pm    

Refreshing the forum list with F5 doesn't always reset your cookie. The cookie gets reset when you call Ultimate.cgi with no parameters. You were probably refreshing a page that included the UBB "BypassCookie=true" command in its address.

This is more technical than I want to get, though. Don't start playing with those parameters or deleting your cookies by hand. Just enter thru www.b0b.com/forum whenever you want to refresh the LastLogin time (which updates the red folders).

[This message was edited by b0b on 14 December 2000 at 08:21 AM.]