The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Lost Address Book and Favorite Places
Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2000 8:30 pm    

When I upgraded to AOL 6.0 from 5.0, the upgrade was supposed to ask me whether I wanted the 5.0 address book and favorite places transferred to 6.0, but the question never was asked and they weren't transferred. I still have 5.0 on the hard disk. How can I locate those files and transfer them to 6.0? I'm using Internet Explorer 5.0.

[This message was edited by Fred Layman on 03 December 2000 at 08:31 PM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 2:21 pm    

Fred--I'm just sort of shooting in the dark so sorry if I'm vague--

Assuming Outlook Express 5---Go to FILE>>IMPORT>>ADDRESS BOOK and browse for the address book. I found an address book here--C:\WINDOWS\APPLICATION DATA\MICROSOFT\ADDRESS BOOK.

I just don't know how specific this info is to my system and therefore it might be of no use to you at all Fred.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 2:43 pm    

AOL uses a completely different email system, that I don't believe allows for importing except when upgrading. I believe they have an 800 number for support.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2000 7:57 pm    

Hey Fred right click on your start button; click "open". Then if you don't see the previous software for AOL 5.0; then click programs and double click "america online" folder and find your AOL 5.0 and click it and the software will come up. Don't sign on. click your favorites at top and then click favorites again and will bring up folder with a Icon on the bottom right; to save favorites and you can then save to a floppy. Then go to mail center and pull up your address book and same icon will let you do the same. Save both those to the same floppy; then when you pull up your AOL 6.0 software the next time you can click a icon on address book and favorites and replace those from floppy.
Have fun.
Ricky

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2000 9:18 pm    

...or you could just try reinstalling the upgrade. I've upgraded two machines to aol 6.0 and in both cases it did ask whether I wanted to transfer (or copy) the address book. i don't recall it asking about the Favorites but i think it did those too. If it were me, i'd just try again.

Fred Layman

Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 7:19 pm    

I'll give Ricky's approach a try. Have you used that approach successfully Ricky? I talked with a tech at Aol and she said they couldn't be transferred after 6.0 was installed and pointed me to Jim's solution, i.e., uninstall 6.0 and reinstall, watching for the transfer message.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 9:58 pm    

Sorry Fred I have'nt upgraded to 6.0. I saw a friend upgrade and there are still too many bugs in that one still. I usually wait till they work out the bugs before I go up. That sounds like one of them. Before; AOL would always save the old version on your computer and transfer any files from previous versions and if it didn't; than you could always go back to the previous version on your computer and get them. So sounds like they left that out. The other bug I saw in my friends new 6.0 was the new buddy list that comes with it; totally takes over your AIM you may have and it's not transfering names either. I love the 5.0 where I'm at and I have mananged to make AOL work for me in so many ways of complaints that I should own them now
I have tried other ISP's and I still prefer AOL over most of them simply because of their world access(which I need)and the killer mail system they have(when you really know how to work it.
Hope it works out for ya; and uninstalling and reinstalling is a must for alot of things on you computer to get them right; so get used to that process.
Ricky

Fred Layman

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 10:42 pm    

Thanks Ricky. I did try the transfer process you recommended and it didn't work, so I will either reinstall or simply make a list of my addess book and favorite places from 5.0 and enter them individually on 6.0. I notice also that I am getting more "illegal operation" shut-downs on 6.0 than I did on 5.0, so it probably still has some kinks.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2000 10:04 am    

Fred if you can get to your 5.0; there is a Icon on the Address book and Favorite places; to save to a Floppy; then you transfer then after reinstalling 6.0.
Ricky