The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al Marcus (CD Burner)
Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 1:31 pm    

Al
If you can use a screwdriver ,you can install a CD Burner

1st Look on the front of your computer either above or below your CD rom & see if thier is a spare cover for an additional CD rom,,,if so pop it off with a screwdriver. This is where the new CD rom goes.

2nd Unscrew the side cover screws & take the chassis cover off the computer exposing the chassis itself.

3rd get your glasses on & look at the back of your existing CD rom,, thier is a little 1" slot with a tiny "U" plug jumper in it. It will be plugged into either the "Master" or "Slave" position. Whatever position it is plugged into ,be sure the same little jumper on your new CD Burner Rom is plugged into the other EXAMPLE: If your current Rom is set to be the Slave make sure the new CD Rom is set to be the Master. Sometimes these little jumpers are so tiny you will need a pair of needle nose pliers.

4th On your existing Rom thier is a 2" wide ribbon plug comming out the back with tiny little pins. Thier should be a red stripe on one side of the ribbon. Look at which side this is on , on the existing Rom as it is plugged into the back of the Rom. Be sure & plug the new Rom in the same way. Thier should be another ribbon plug about 6 to 8 inches back from the ribbon plug already plugged into the existing Rom. This is for the new Rom. If for some reason you cant find an extra ribbon plug, you will need to buy a new one with dual plugs on one end.

5th OK now slide in the new CD rom & plug the ribbon strip in but dont screw in the mounting screws just yet. Look at the old CD rom ,,,on one side thier should be a Approx. 1" plug with White ,Yellow, Red wires,,, this is the power plug. Thier should be a spare power plug for the new CD rom close by just hanging around somewhere . Plug it into the empty plug on the new CD Rom.

6th One one side or the other (New CD ROM) thier is a little 3 or 4 whire plug for the sound card. Look at the old Rom & thier should be a plug comming out the back of it going to the sound card. If it does not have a duel plug at the Rom end you will need to purchase a "Y" sound plug so both CD Roms will activate the sound card. If not ,,only one Rom will produce sound.

7th Ok now tighten the new CD Rom mounting screws & put the covers back on the computer,, & plug everything back in.

8th Get out the band aids because by now you have lost so much blood from slicing yourself up on the computer chassis that your feeling a little weak

9th Yippie!!!!! fire that computer up
& if everything went ok,,,, windows should detect new hardware & insatll it for you .
So have any software that came with the new CD Rom close by.

10th click on my computer & you should see there are two separate CD Rom Icons now. Usually one is Rom Drive-D & the other is Rom Drive-E .One will be the new Rom & the other the old Rom

Hope I explained it so as to help you somewhat.

------------------

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 9:45 pm    

Looks like great directions, except for STEP ONE: First UNPLUG THE COMPUTER!!!!

Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 10:50 pm    

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOUR RIGHT JIM!!!!!

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 11:17 pm    

Hi Rick-
Thanks for the great step by step instructions. I ought to be able to follow that.
When you said remove the case. I thought What about a shock? Thanks Jim for your tip.

Now we'll see if I can do it or not. I don't want to get too bloody, my skin is getting thin and I scratch easy.....al

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 5:06 am    

One other thing. On many of the newer computers the mother board is mounted on one side of the frame and covers the mounting screws. On those machines you have to either loosen and hinge out or completely remove the motherboard to gain access to one side of the mounting assembly for the CD drive.

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 9:15 am    

Does anyone know if or where one can get a burner that will fit in a HP pavilion 6553 ?
thanks
Kenny

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 9:44 am    

Any PC that has an open 5 1/4" bay slot will physically accept a CD burner (same size as a CD reader or ZIP drive). However, even if you physically have a slot for the drive, you will have to determine if it has the internal cabling for an extra device or if you have to "piggyback" off of another device.

I'd suggest, if you have an open slot, that you check the "innards" and see if there is cabling there for an extra drive (power and ribbon connector). If you have the HP users guide it should have info about upgrading adding devices. If not, the HP support web site probably has the necessary information.

If you don't have an open slot for an "internal" drive, you could consider an external drive, either a SCSI (would require an I/O interface board) or if you have Windows 98/ME and the hardware support, a USB interface drive.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 1:37 pm    

Those USB external burners are a piece of cake if you have WIN 98. Just plug in the wall wart and the USB cable. Install the software and away you go. (If you don't have a USB port, a PCI to USB board is about $30 and it is plug and play. . .)

They are a little slower than the IDE or SCSI burners though.