The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone use a CAD program?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 7:56 am    

Anyone use a CAD program (Computer Assisted Drawing) I have a CAD program that is outdadted and was looking into some of the new programs. I am looking for something that is user friendly and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to learn.
Thanks,
Len Amaral

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 10:17 am    

I've been using Autocad for years. Starting with about release 13 it finally got to where we always imagined CAD would be. Fairly user friendly, although there is a lot of stuff in there I've never touched. Pricey though.

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10

Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 2:14 pm    

I use autocad 2000 at work. About $3,500.00

I would recommend a program called AutoSketch, made by the makers of autocad (Autodesk) available at most software stores for about $99

Earl Foote
Houston, Texas

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 3:53 pm    

I have Autocad 2000. Since IM here with my left leg broken and in a cast I decided to learn how to draw with it. I purchased a book at Books-a-Million called Autocad 2000- no experience necessary by Sybex and cost aprox $25. After about 3 hrs I can draw a box and a box inside of the 1st box and edit some lines. I think at this point learning steel guitar is easier than this. But I have the desire to do this and will eventualy learn it. Hell I can't push any pedals for a few weeks so I might just as well try this.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 4:39 pm    

Thanks for all the replys! Earl, does the Auto Sketch CAD program measure in thousands of an inch or is it more of a drafting program?
Regards,
Len Amaral

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 5:41 pm    

I have TurboCad for Windows. Although it is not AutoCad, it does quite a bit and priced around $100 for the current version. It will save drawings as AutoCad file but I don't remember what version.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 11:32 am    

AutoCad Lite,not sure of current version. Does most things that regular AutoCad can do but IMHO is easier to use. I run both full AutoCad and Lite 98 and prefer the ease of use of lite such as the abilty to immediately scroll the doc window. I regulary port files between the two and if your not doing 3D Lite is a good way to go. Got mine for under $400. Believe me Lite is not light. There very little missing in terms of drawing tools, calculations, file imports/exports etc. go to http://www.autodesk.com/estore/usa/index.htm . Actually if standard AC Lite is still offered it's a good deal. It looks like now they may be pushing ACLite2000i which is more $$ and offers Internet/HTML features. However dealers do discount the prices listed at the Autodesk web site. BTW they have AC2000i listed at $3295!

One step down from Lite would be Actrix technical 2000 also offered by Autodesk for $349 http://estore.autodesk.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?SP=10007&CID=0&SID=19515&PN=16&PID =35594 . If your famliar with Visio this is similar to that.

Greg

[This message was edited by Greg Cutshaw on 16 November 2000 at 11:34 AM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2000 6:08 pm    

Some Cad programs will measure to 15 decimal points. I use DesignCad 2D (Dos version) for most of my drawings and export the files to Designcad 2D for Windows, where I can make DXF files which are compatable with most Cad programs. I am slowly learning the Windows based program which has a lot of commands similar to the big boys. These programs do the job for me, but would like a 3D Cad type.

Last summer at an auction I bid on several office supplies, IE; desks, chairs, etc., and in one of the drawers was Autocad 14, but no manuals. I installed it. It is huge. A week later I was looking through my files and found Autocad had made backup files of almost every file on my drive. They were listed as AutoCad backup files, but could not be opened. They occupied the same space as the original files. I'm not talking just Cad files, but all my QuatroPro, WP7, etc, file. What gives????
I'm glad I knew some old DOS commands to remove them quickly........Can someone tell me what's up with Autocad14 and why it done this????? Joe

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2000 10:23 pm    

I have used Autocad since 1985, ver 2.5 and now use ver 14.

Autocad has always created a .bak file as you exit or save so you have a backup file in case something corrupts the real dwg file as you are working in it. In the early days this was a real lifesaver as all kinds of wierd things would drop you out of the file or give the fatal error syndrome.

In that case, the solution was to change the .bak extension to .dwg and you were back in business up to your last save. The program is much more stable now and the bak files become more of an irritant than a usefull function. Still, there have been rare instances where it is handy to have it.

A benefit today is the various ways to back up files that were not available in those days, (ie tape, cd) so the bak files are not as important to keep.

It's simply a house cleaning effort to delete those files every now and then, but it's losing a big file with hundreds of hours in it that makes one appreciate a bak file.
Ken

By the way Joe, I have never seen autocad make a backup of anything other than the file you were currently working on. Something else has to be involved.

[This message was edited by Ken Lang on 17 November 2000 at 10:28 PM.]

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 6:13 am    

Len,
While working at Polaroid for 31 years before I retired in 1996 I was using Pro Engineer developed by Parametric Technology Corp. in Waltham, Ma. It was great software but it was very difficult to use without going for a weeks training as we all did back then.
Most of the designs we did on the cameras were done with some type of AutoCad for the drawings and basic layouts.
I was involved with the 3D modeling and design of the cameras.
Hope this sheds some light on the subject.
Don

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2000 10:09 am    

Anyone recommend agood 3d Cad program without having to mortgage the home?
Joe

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 6:37 pm    

Joe. Sounds like the onus is on you. Without defining what you would use it for and what you want to pay for a 3d program, no one has an answer. There is a whole world of programs out there on the net. Guess it's up to you dig it out. That way you'll be the expert the next time the question comes up.

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 8:43 pm    

I'm gone diggin'..........Thanks for the help!!! Joe

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 7:56 am    

I picked up a $20.00 CAD program at Circuit City called "Intellicad" I just loaded it and have to work with it a bit to get the hang of this format. Thanks for all the replys and information.
Len Amaral

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2000 7:32 am    

I picked up another CAD program called "Intsant Engineer" by Upperspace and it is WAY COOL and it sells for $20.00. I also picked up the Professional version for $79.00 but the cheapo version has enough bells & whistles for most applications. I'll be away for a week and won't be able to access my email to respond to any questions. Have a good Thanksgiving,
Lenny

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2000 1:44 pm    

Len/Joe,
Try Office Depot or Wal-Mart,I picked
up a $9.99 KeyCad pro by softkey,works
pretty good on simple stuff.

Bill Ford