The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  offloading?
Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2000 12:58 pm    

I tried recording a tune from the computer to a cassette deck using the line out from the sound card. I get a very weak signal and have to turn the cassette volume all the way on to hear it at all and still low volume. Has any one else had this problem and how did you overcome it. I've been considering running the signal through one of my amps.

Ken

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2000 1:37 pm    

Kenny, this should have been posted in the computer section.

However, you can check the mixer gain for the type of signal (wav, midi, etc) and set it's level to a higher (or even max) output level. That should take care of the problem.

Some computers have an icon in the tray (right side of the task bar)that will allow you to access the "volume control".

You can also start Volume Control by clicking Start, pointing to Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to Entertainment, and then clicking Volume Control.

Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2000 7:43 am    

Thanks Jack.......I did all that already. I don't know why I get such a weak signal. I probably need a better cassette recorder so I could control the input volume. Anyway thanks again.

Ken

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2000 9:45 am    

That should work OK. Try going from the sound card to your amp input and see if you have enough level. You shouldn't have to crank up the input gain on the amp very high to get a loud signal. If that seems to be OK then it probably is the recorder (or a bad tape). If not, then back to the sound card settings (or the cable you're using from the sound card to the recorder). Make sure you're using the "LINE OUT" and not the "SPEAKER OUT" on your sound card.