The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why won't my CD-ROM drive play my CD-Rs?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 8:53 am    

Most of the time, the CD-Rs that I burn will not play in the regular CD-ROM drive of my computer, although they play perfectly in my home stereo CD player. When I put one in my CD-ROM drive, and click on the drive icon, it says "Drive is not accessible" or somesuch. The funny thing is that sometimes (albeit very rarely) I can get one to play... not a different CD-R either... the same one that never played for me before! What's up with that? (Don't tell me it's got to do with my computer clock! )

p.s. I should add that this has happened also with CD-Rs that other people have sent me, so it's not just a fluke of my own burner.

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 14 June 2000 at 09:56 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 11:13 am    

I have that from time to time. All I have to do is restart windows and it fixes the problem. I suspect the Adaptec CD Burner software is not releasing something correctly.

Whenever I burn a CD, audio or data, I'll move it over to the CD Reader to check it out and randomly that will happen.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 5:36 pm    

If you're using Adaptec software, there are 2 ways to 'eject' the disk after writing to it. One is just to let it go (default). In this case, it's still writable via drive letter (drag and drop) on THAT computer. If you want to read the disk on another computer, you have to select the other option on the 'eject' page. Try sticking the CD back in there and then ejecting it again with the fix.

I find Adaptec about as counterintuitive as it could be, and this formatting or not formatting business is confusing.

Goodun luck.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 6:09 pm    

Well, here's the latest update. Rebooting the computer and restarting Windows did not help anything (but it did reset my clock to the correct time! )

And, the CD-R was allowed to complete by itself, at which point the drive door opened automatically and the CD-R was ejected (this is Adaptec software, tho' probably not the latest version). And I AM trying to play it on the same computer that it was made on, so it doesn't fit Steve's description of what ought to happen. Maybe I should try the alternate method in Adaptec anyway?

Jude James Shiels

near Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 1:26 am    

It should play on your computer after you burn it no matter what way you do it, but here's something that may help...

A similar problem happened for me, it would play on regular CD players but not in the computer after burning it. Have you changed any settings for your CD player and burner in the systems on Control Panel? Check this anyhow, go to Control Panel / click on System / then the Device Manager option / click on CD Rom (a little plus sign beside it), Highlight one (do these instructions for both one at a time), either your CD Rom or your burner and hit Properties. In Properties change from General to Settings. Now make sure their is no inconsistency between both CD Rom and Burner. That all the same boxes are ticked in Settings. If that is ok, I would try burn a CD with the DMA option unticked on both and then see if it works. If it is not ticked already, tick it and try it. It's worth a go, having the DMA ticked for me caused the burned CD not to work, though it still played on regular CD player.

I hope you can follow those instructions, if you need any more help or clarity let me know.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 2:27 am    

My Adaptec software has an update facility that checks for any updates. There was an update recently but it was mostly cosmetic or added support for several CD burners, not any fixes.

I had downloaded a trail version of CD burning software from GoldenHawk, which I didn't like, but they have some good FAQ info on their site. But, they reference Adaptec drivers and it looks like the Adaptec is the defacto standard for consumer CD burners. You can check out GoldenHawk, I think the URL is http://www.goldenhawk.com
They also list their suggestions for brands of CD burners and blank CD's.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 5:42 am    

Jim;
I had a similar problem with my CD-ROM. It would randomly pick which disks it would play. I cleaned it several times, to no avail. I got a new one and the problem was solved.
Also, if the burner is a re-writable disk, it might not work either. A friend of mine had a re-writable unit and his disks wouldn't play in my CD-ROM. Just a thought.
Good luck!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 7:23 am    

I believe that CD RW must be played on a RW drive. I can't access any files from my RW disk if I put the disk in my regular CD drive. Also the session must be closed after you write to the CD R to enable it to be played on any CD player.
I upgraded to Adaptec 4.0 with all the updates on their site, but the new version seem to take a lot longer to copy a CD. However it is fairly fast when burning a CD from wave files on my hard drive.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 7:38 am    

Well, guys, as I write this I'm listening to one of my burned CDs on my computer! Just don't ask me what worked, cuz it still doesn't work all the time. It's "iffy". I followed Jude's advice; the settings were the same for both drives but the DMA was not checked; so I checked it in both, then had to reboot. Then I burned a new CD-R. It still wouldn't play on my MusicMatch media player, but I did get it to play on the windows CD player, but only after opening and closing it a few times. One time it even gave me a message saying the drive was nonfunctional. Most of the time it just says there is either a data CD or no CD in the drive. But right now it's playing, so go figure! Thanks, guys!
jc

Update: about 15 minutes after writing the above; I can no longer get that same CD-R to play on any of the players. Harummmpph!

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 15 June 2000 at 08:51 AM.]

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 8:00 am    

Jim,

Not all cd-rom drives can playback CD-R.
The reflection of those cd's is less than of a normal cd. What do the specs of the drive say. Can it read CD-R with software on it? You can also try a cleaning cd.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 8:33 am    

Hi, Marco:
Unfortunately, I don't know what the specs of the drive say, since it was installed in the computer when I bought it, so I don't have any paperwork on it. Maybe it's in the Help menu? I'll take a look.
Thanks,
Jim

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 9:11 am    

Dr. Jim
Try this:
(I'm assuming you're using Adaptec CD Creator or similar software)
When creating a CD (e.g., audio) you have the option of leaving that 'session' (current set of files recorded) open to allow you to add more later. This setting appears in the 'Advanced' tab of CD Creator dialog box that appears when you use the 'RECORD' or 'CREATE CD' command (button or menu choice). IF YOU LEAVE THE SESSION OPEN ONLY CD CREATOR CAN READ THE DISC -- with the help of the 'Session Selector' function.

That allows the most flexibility for further work with the same disc, but prevents CD/ROM and audio CD players from reading the disc. A second choice on the 'Advanced' tab is 'Close Session and Leave Disc Open'. For most newer CD ROM and audio CD players using this option should allow playing the CD/R.

If that doesn't work you may want to try the third radio button, 'Close Disc'. That's the one I always use for anything I send to others.

CAVEAT: There are some CD/ROM and CD/audio drives/players -- especially older ones -- that just don't 'speak CD/R'. Nothing I'm aware of will allow you to play CD/R discs on those drives.

It is also possible that you have hardware problems (e.g., a bad cable, defective drive with an intermittent problem, etc.)

Hope this helps. Good luck. SMILE. Like big dogs, computers can SMELL FEAR and take advantage of it.

LTB

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 15 June 2000 at 10:12 AM.]

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 10:16 am    

That's what I was trying to say, above.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 11:43 am    

Maybe Adaptec Direct CD is interfering with the drive's operation as a music CD player. Just a hunch.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 11:43 am    

As far as incompatibility problems between CD writers and readers. Some of the older readers may have problems. However, some writers are also the culprit. Case in point, I ordered a styles CD from BIAB. They shipped it out and it was an obvious CD that had been burned, as it had a paper label on it. I tried it in my relatively new Compaq and it wouldn't read. It would spin up and then down and up, etc. I had to restart windows to get the CD unloaded. BIAB sent me another CD and it worked the same way. I contacted their support and the tech told me they "occasionally" run into compatibility problems and blamed it on my CD reader. They wound up sending me floppies for the styles CD.

However, I've since found out it was the BIAB CD's not my reader as it wouldn't read on several new PC's with CD readers including a neighbor who has a new Gateway with a CD/DVD reader. My reader reads every other CD without a problem.