The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Post your solutions, please
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 10:52 am    

To all-- Sometimes, people neglect to let others know when an answer or work-around takes care of a posted problem.

The info may be helpful, if posted, and might shed light on different problems.

--Erratic computer clock NOT caused by battery or known applications: New to me.
--Keyboard unresponsive for minutes at a time: Very curious.
--Web pic's don't display 'tho link is good: Happens sometimes to me also.

Just a few examples. Thanks -- Everett

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 1:49 pm    

I think it would be hard to have a "FAQ" list on here. Too many variables, e.g. different hardware, different software, etc. There are some problems and solutions that are common to say WIN98/I.E. 5.01 but it would still be hard and if we did that it would take up a lot of server space.
Many problems show up as the same symptom but have totally different fixes because of the differences in hardware and software.
We could have one symptom and get 25, 30 or more different fixes for the same problem.

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 12:30 am    

Jack-- Read my post. I didn't request a generic 'FAQ' list. Ingo just did what I meant in his 'Contrary drive D' post. Several of us had made suggestions and he was thoughtful enough to let us know when and how his problem was solved.

Some threads just seem to die. Jim Cohen's clock problem for example. Really strange. I hope he gives us an update when he finds an answer or just to inform that the problem persists. --Everett

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 2:45 am    

Everett, I understand what you are saying. But, because someone has a certain problem and the fix turns out to be whatever, it doesn't mean that if you or anyone else has that exact problem that the fix will be the same. And if someone else tries that fix it could cause more problems. I agree it would be nice if everyone put the final fix (if the problem is ever really resolved) but that final fix could lead you astray.

Before retiring, one of the departments I managed was a LAN/WAN computer network/hardware help desk with 8 techs and two Novell CNE's. What you are saying was the hardest thing to get across to the technicians - every problem is not generic and does not have a generic fix. As problems were reported to the help desk each one had to be looked at individually to really determine what the problem was and then a fix could be done. Sometimes "stock" fixes worked sometimes it took more or it required dispatching a vendor hardware tech to repair the device. We did have a list of problems and fixes that were done, and each tech had their own personal list but it still wasn't 100%.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 6:17 am    

Quote:
Some threads just seem to die. Jim Cohen's clock problem for example. Really strange. I hope he gives us an update when he finds an answer or just to inform that the problem persists
Sorry, Everett. I didn't realize you were suffering from forumthreadinterruptus! Actually, back on June 8, I posted that I was just gonna try to ignore it for awhile and see what happens. In fact, the problem has not recurred, so I'm not doing anything about it at this time. But I sure did learn a lot from this thread! Thanks again, guys!
jc

Moon in Alaska

Kasilof, Alaska * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 3:05 pm    

Everett, I think we have all learned from reading a problem and later seeing what was wrong. I know many of us, including me, learned how to post photos here on feedback and I think you have a good idea, when we find a solution, we need to post what happened so others could benefit from it !!

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 5:51 am    

I agree with Jack: No two problems are exactly alike. Sometimes they seem to be, but aren't. However, there are common problems that could be investigated first.
If you can get on-line with your computer, go to the source of the software/hardware if possible. Most suppliers have, not only websites, but some type of customer service or at least a FAQ section. There is also a lot of places on the web where you can find "fixes" for many common problems.
Another thought is if somebody doesn't post the results, did his computer crash because of the advice he was given and can't?

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com